Hello from Ontario Canada 68 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Trevor

Hello from Ontario Canada 68

Hello all. New to the site here and have my fathers first gen 68 camaro ss coupe that has been in the family since new and had planned to help restore it back to original with him, but he got sick and plans to do it were shelved. Unfortunately I won't get the opportunity to work on it with him, and am looking at restoring it in memory of him and my mother who previously passed on. The car has a lot of sentimental value growing up and the good times our family had back in the 70's and 80's, the memories and camaro were always a blast, to say the least.

Although it was my fathers car, my mother ran with the best of them; even with no power steering, she hit the gears right and blew the doors off of more than a few opponents.

Previous conversations with my dad were to de-tune it a bit so it could be driven as daily/weekend driver. It has a big block 396 with an M22 manual trans/ posi rear, blue with white pin stripping.

We talked about getting a donor car for a body since it has sat for so long, albeit covered, but here in Canada rust has taken its toll on just about everything. Given the uni-body structure, am hesitant to consider replacing all the panels what would probably be most of the car anyway and since it will be driven, wanted it to be structurally sound. So at this point, am considering in this order, a new repro body, donor car, and lastly total body reconstruction. Since it is numbers matching all around and was a special order car, it would be great to maintain as much as possible on that front, but am faced with the structural issues since it has sat for so long. It may take some time and thats ok, but wanted to do it right so hope this site can answer some questions.

Thanks for listening. Comments are greatly appreciated.

JJW68
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Hello from Ontario Canada 68

Let me be the first to welcome you aboard the TC.

Nice to see a legacy type car being passed along with an intimate history. Priceless to you and your kin.

Just be certain to formulate a plan and take a long hard look at your expected costs. From what you describe it sounds like a pretty pricey restore. Even deeper pockets are needed if you have to farm out much of the work.

This is a super site. Make use of the "search" and the "archives".

Good luck on your project.

capt
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 10:25 AM
Senior Tech
STEVE

Let me be the second to welcome you to TC !

You have found one of, if not the best Camaro forum around, to assist you with your restoration.

I am also in Ontario, CANADA & might be able to help you find any hard to find, standard, or NOS parts for your restoration.

I have owned over a dozen 60's 'birds and Camaros, still have my first Camaro that I bought when I was 15 years young, and have lots of technical manuals and contacts for assistance you might need.

Where in Ontario are you currently hiding from the white stuff ?

regards,

Steve

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 10:43 AM
Paul & Laurie

I guess I will be the third to welcome you! I am in Ontario as well, the Niagara area. And as said before, this is an amazing site. The information and help here will be invaluable. How about more details on the special order?

Good Luck

Paul
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 10:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Garage
Thumbs up Re: Hello from Ontario Canada 68

Hey looks like the Canadian contingent is well represented, welcome to Team Camaro.

Before you begin some friendly advice: You will find this site is an excellent resource or friends and Camaro knowledge. Do lots of research, many have been down the path you are about to embark on so take the time to learn from their experiences, I guarantee it will save you time and money if you do.

Legacy '69

Legacy 69
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 11:03 AM
Senior Tech
STEVE

We should set up a summer long 2014 garage crawl in Ontario . . .
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Trevor

Thanks for the warm welcome capt and for the advice in taking it slow and to think through the plan for pricing. It is a large project and will certainly look to the forum for advice to help reduce some of the cost associated with the restoration. Although it is a labor of love, pockets are only so deep, at least mine are. The little things add up pretty quick so the more I learn and share would hope to keep the project reasonable.

just started poking around the site today after signing up...wow!! Don't know what I could add to it, but, time will tell and hope I can give back some later on.

JJW68
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Trevor

Hi Steve, I'm in Sault Ste. Marie right now and there's no hiding from the white stuff here. The shovel and snow blower are getting way too familiar. Originally from Ottawa and will be building a garage on Manitoulin Island where the GF is from to do the restoration...oh ya, and a house too. The project won't start for a couple years so have arranged to get it into a barn on concrete in the Ottawa area this spring until we make the move. In the mean time just doing my research to see what I can do and what I can't total cost etc.

Appreciate the offer to help with parts and insight. Would be great to converse about the project with you. New to the forum so will take a bit to learn the ropes. From your user name I take it your from Muskoka?

thanks for the welcome
Trevor
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 12:55 PM
Senior Tech
STEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJW68 View Post
Hi Steve, I'm in Sault Ste. Marie right now and there's no hiding from the white stuff here. The shovel and snow blower are getting way too familiar. Originally from Ottawa and will be building a garage on Manitoulin Island where the GF is from to do the restoration...oh ya, and a house too. The project won't start for a couple years so have arranged to get it into a barn on concrete in the Ottawa area this spring until we make the move. In the mean time just doing my research to see what I can do and what I can't total cost etc.

Appreciate the offer to help with parts and insight. Would be great to converse about the project with you. New to the forum so will take a bit to learn the ropes. From your user name I take it your from Muskoka?

thanks for the welcome
Trevor
Hi Trevor,

yep, Muskoka is home.

The winter has been relentless here in cottage country, and I'm sure that you are experiencing the same in Ottawa and SSM !

Good luck with the new shop and look forward to conversing over TC forum.

Steve
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 02:13 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Welcome to TC Trevor from another Canuck from Northern Ontario.

Not too many people can say they have a 1st Gen Camaro that has been in the family since new. Not sure what your plans are for the restoration but I would start with making a list of what you think it needs and getting prices together for those items. It's not getting any cheaper to restore these cars so you might want to start buying a few things now.

As far as the body is concerned if you think it has some issues you should post a few pictures here. There are people who can give you an opinion on your best course of action. Repro bodies besides being costly are not as good as you may think plus you have the issues with VIN numbers, trim tags etc. Same goes for donor cars depending on what is removed. You do not want to remove or touch any of these identifiers from the original car.

Post pictures if you can, we all would like to see what you have.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 02:19 PM
Senior Tech

Hey, maybe we should back off and let some "Yanks" or "Down Unders" get to say hello to ya.

I am curious as to how much you can do without farming out the work, as the parts due play a part in the cost...but it's the labour that can kill ya. If you do have to get help, get several quotes and don't get carried away with up front payments!

capt
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by her68his69 View Post
I guess I will be the third to welcome you! I am in Ontario as well, the Niagara area. And as said before, this is an amazing site. The information and help here will be invaluable. How about more details on the special order?

Good Luck

Paul

Hi Paul, Thanks for the welcome to TC. The special order just meant that when my dad bought the car he ordered specific options and had to wait for it to be built. Still have the order slip that says estimated delivery "as soon as possible!!!". Couldn't get there quick enough for him at the time I'm sure. He ordered the big block 396 and M22 "rock crusher" manual trans, no power steering or disc brakes, drums f/r. 12 bolt posi rear, black leather interior, factory 8 track, no air, SS trim package white pin on metalic blue paint. He did do some performance work after for racing like the hurst shifter, headers, traction bars, ignition, wires etc but the all the main components are original except driver rear quarter panel that had a tree jump off someones lawn in 69 which led to a trip to the body shop. Other than that its all original even the rust, but am looking forward to fixing that up.
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy 69 View Post
Hey looks like the Canadian contingent is well represented, welcome to Team Camaro.

Before you begin some friendly advice: You will find this site is an excellent resource or friends and Camaro knowledge. Do lots of research, many have been down the path you are about to embark on so take the time to learn from their experiences, I guarantee it will save you time and money if you do.

Legacy '69
Hi Rick, thanks for the friendly advice. This site seems endless...didn't know how big a following there was and the amount of information is truly amazing. Thanks for the welcome and for taking the time to reply. It means a lot and that goes for all who have responded. I really appreciate all the comments. Someone once said to me slower is faster sometimes; at first it didn't make sense, but as I aged some, can see the light in the statement. I have tended to jump into things too fast so appreciate the reminder to slow down and do the proper research.

thanks again,

Trevor
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Trevor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_in_muskoka View Post
Hi Trevor,

yep, Muskoka is home.

The winter has been relentless here in cottage country, and I'm sure that you are experiencing the same in Ottawa and SSM !

Good luck with the new shop and look forward to conversing over TC forum.

Steve
didn't mean to imply your lack of snow by any means. sorry for not sympathizing. Can't wait for spring though.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 14, 04:11 PM
Bill

I'm not quite a newbie, but welcome to the site. I'm still learning how to negotiate it. Lots of info. Very little source material though for my current project. A reframed (full frame) C6 driveline going into a 68 RS.
Had to drop a line, since I'm also north of the border in Vineland, Ontario. From reading the posts, we could almost start a southern Ontario chapter of Camaro International.
To have a family jewel such as yours is great. I wish my son had my original 68 Z28.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode