Proud New Member & Owner 68 RS/SS - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Proud New Member & Owner 68 RS/SS

Hi All,

I have been lurking for quite awhile and asked a few questions, but this is my first official post to introduce myself. I have always dreamed of owning a first generation Camaro and an SS car especially. For the last few years I have owned Oldsmobiles ('69, '71, '72 small & big block Cutlasses) but couldn't afford a 442 at the time which is also a dream car of mine. But after owning those three vehicles I set my sights on something new.

After a lot of help from this forum about a '67 plain jane Camaro that I was interested in buying, I decided to pass on it and glad I did. After that experience I chose to open up my search to the entire US and go for the color of my dreams - dark blue (deepwater/fathom or dusk). Soon after I came across a 1968 fathom blue RS/SS on craigslist in Arizona. I called the owner and got a lot of detailed information. Unfortunately he then told me someone who was after the car for awhile and was "supposedly" coming that day to possibly buy it. After many more questions I decided to purchase the car and sent him a deposit. I'm rambling so...let me get to the details.

Originality

- 3 owner California black plate car all its life except for the last ten years in Arizona

- Solid car except for some minor bubbling in the bottom of the fenders and one near the rear window channel. Owner didn't mention this to me, but I still would have gone thru with the deal had I known. I will probably do a separate thread on this soon to address it.

- Original 350 w/ 2-speed Powerglide included in the sale. Code V0815MU stamped on the pad. Currently running a 383 Stroker. I still need to check the date code on the axle and for some reason cannot locate the VIN on the powerglide. It is painted black; should it be?

- Original motor has approximately 100k miles on it and I plan to rebuild it and drop it back into the car and likely sell the Stroker/TH-350.

- Car was driven very little the last 30 years according to the PO

- Optioned with custom interior, floor shift, rear defroster and rear speaker. Original AM radio still works!

- Steering wheel looks like an Impala SS wheel, but the seller insists its completely original. Being a Van Nuys car, Ed Bertrand mentions it is possibly original to the car.

- PO said the car still carries its original paint from factory. I find this hard to believe, but cannot find any evidence to disprove this claim.

Below are some photos...I still need to go through the car with a fine tooth comb and drive it but unfortunately the weather has not cooperated. Looking forward to learning more about my car and learning from the vast knowledge available here!

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 07:46 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Re: Proud New Member & Owner 68 RS/SS

Great looking car from the pics, but all original paint from the factory? Very hard to believe, and would ring a warning bell to carefully vet out all other claims as well. Check for filler around the body with a magnet. The bubbling at the fenders are tell tale. You know if there have been repairs, that can't possibly be true. Hopefully that's all you have to deal with. Good luck and congrats on your new purchase!

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 07:47 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Vince

Garage

Damn nice car Bill!

1967 327 4spd convertible 119K
1968 RS Z/28 04D Norwood have owned twice
1968 RS Z/28 04D Van Nuys asleep for 36 years
1969 Z/28 X33

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 07:53 AM
Senior Tech

Got the mid kid and lookin' good.

Sure hope ya got snow tires on that Cam.

capt
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 08:01 AM
Senior Tech
Ty

Beautiful car...welcome to the board.

wow, that is a lot of snow. It will be in high 80's here in Cali today.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 08:02 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

Congrats on the Camaro! Nice color combo.

Should it have the finned SS hood rather than the velocity stack style?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks all, I appreciate the kind words!

I guess when I say original from factory I am not saying 100% down to every nut and bolt. Really referring to the major components of the car as I know things had to have been changed over the years. For example as 67rally mentioned, the hood should have the finned louvers from what I have read. Also @cv2065 I believe there to be a good amount of filler on the driver quarter panel after doing the magnet test, but the rest checked out well.

Basically I was looking for an honest Camaro with as much originality as possible in a color that SPEAKS to me. To find one with the original drivetrain real RS/SS car in my budget was a lucky bonus!

Last edited by TenMidgets; Feb 16th, 14 at 08:40 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 08:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage

I wasn't trying to pick it apart, my first Camaro was a '67 fathom blue, and it had the finned SS hood. I remember wanting the velocity stacks and was told they only went on 68/69 396's or later '68 350's.

That was back when I cared what people thought about MY car.

The steering wheel looks like a '68 N30 option with the horn buttons. It also looks like you got some of the same snow we've got up north...

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 08:59 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rich

Beautiful car and welcome to the team..... 68 is a very good year. Enjoy

68 SS 396 4-speed, corvette bronze.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks again guys!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 14, 05:25 PM
Senior Tech
Chad

I'm with you on the color thing. Unless you have $50K to drop on a nut and bolt restoration, which most don't, including myself, then you find the car that 'speaks to you' and certainly gets that car/owner bond going much faster than if you were selecting for say just a resell. Makes additional investment much easier as well. Deepwater Blue is one of my favorites. Hopefully you are not shy, as that car will bring a lot of attention. Again, enjoy the ride!

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 14, 05:49 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Very nice find Bill.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 14, 01:14 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome!

T.C.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 05:55 AM
Tom

Welcome Bill!

Great car and color combination!
Similar to my '68, but I have the black vinyl top with black interior.

Still say that the '68 was the best looking Camaro.

Enjoy!

Tom

1968 Camaro - I'm The Second Owner!

1982 Berlinetta Camaro - Bought New - SOLD!

1979 Z28 Camaro - Bought New - SOLD!

1968 Camaro - Owned 30 Years - SOLD!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 14, 06:19 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Very nice...welcome to TC

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode