Camaro Newbie - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

Camaro Newbie

Hey fellas,
I've just purchased a 1968 Roller. In need of a complete restoration. I'm sure I will be needing tons of advice along the way. My dad built 1st gens all his life and I want to restore one myself to honor him. I have basic knowledge of how to work on a car but I know there are thousands of new things I will need to learn along this exciting new journey!

Dwight
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	67490  

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 11:44 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Re: Camaro Newbie

Welcome Dwight, looks like you have a good project there. Great group of Camaro lovers and wealth of knowledge here so don't hesitate to ask as you progress along your journey and good luck with the project.

BTW, what are your plans for the car as far as type of restoration and drive train you are planning on?

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

I'm not too sure what exactly drivetrain is. I know by definition it has to do with the transfer of power from the engine to the wheels. But as for knowing what to put on my Camaro, I'm not too positive. I know right now, it needs bodywork so I've been doing my best to research. I've literally become obsessed with gaining knowledge.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

As for the type of restoration, I know I don't want to make it a show room car because I want it to be a weekend driver. But me being in the military I'm a very detail oriented person so I know ill end up trying to make things perfect!

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 12:31 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome Dwight!

We are over in Tampa, if you ever get down this way, give me a Call & come by our Facility

T.C.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

I'll actually be down in Tampa tomorrow but won't be making it until about 930pm

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 05:53 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

By drive train I meant what were you planning on for an engine, and what you you planning on for a transmission. I assumed since you called it a roller it had neither when you took ownership of it?

You make make a fine weekend driver out of that, enjoy the process.

69 Camaro Z/28 RS, original Azure Turquoise, M21 & 3.73 12-bolt posi. NOM 406ci, AFR 210 heads, Straub hyd. roller cam & Dynatech 1-3/4" > 1-7/8" headers, QuickFuel 750 Annular. Photos at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Dwight.
Correct year for your next journey.
Start a logbook for keeping any parts and mods from OE design. It will be worth its weight in gold later in life.
Use anitseize on bolts for later in life removal.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 08:13 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Welcome to TC... It's interesting how our addiction to 1st Gens involve our dads.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

Thanks a ton for the tips Everett! I'll be sure to keep a log and take photos of everything for my records. What's your favorite qualities about a 1968 VS the other years?

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

Scott,
I've really not thought about the engine size yet. I've considered trying to find an original engine and restoring it. But on the other hand I've thought about searching for a crate engine.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 14, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

Ty,
I agree with you! I remember helping my dad sand Camaro panels as a child!

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitKempo View Post
Thanks a ton for the tips Everett! What's your favorite qualities about a 1968 VS the other years?
You're welcome.
Sixty-eight has:
RPO WWD (Wing Window Delete)
No cellulite wrinkles in the quarter panel like the '69's have.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 14th, 14, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dwight

I didn't know about the wrinkles glad I chose the 68!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode