Newb from Oklahoma- "College Budget" 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 14, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Brice

Thumbs up Newb from Oklahoma- "College Budget" 68 Camaro

Hi, I'm new here from Oklahoma. My name is Brice. I'm a senior at Oklahoma State University. I've been lurking and doing research on this forum for quite a while but didn't join until I picked up a 1968 camaro roller on Saturday. This will be the start of what I'm going to call project "College Budget" because of how poor I am. I guess I should give you a little more background about myself. I grew up around cars because my dad owns a mechanic shop. He just does general maintenance/repairs mostly on farm trucks but I have worked at his shop a couple summers and gained general mechanical knowledge. I have had the itch to get a first gen camaro since I was in high school. My dad's friend has a very original 1969 camaro RS 350 that was always at his shop and I got to drive that car to prom. After driving that car I was thoroughly disappointed with the performance of what I considered my "dream car". That's when I started doing research and was introduced to the pro-touring scene. Although I pay for all of my college by myself, I have still been able to save up somewhat of a "car fund" by working hard over the summers. About a year ago I bought a stock 1998 firebird formula (ls1/auto) for $1700. It had high miles and needed work. After having a total of $4000 into the car after 6 months I traded it (plus $1,000) for a 1998 firebird formula (ls1/t56) prepped for road racing that came with a ton of spare parts. I put about $1,000 into getting that car running/driving right but I sold 1 of the 3 sets of CCW wheels for $1000 to cover that cost. A week ago I sold that car (without the 2 sets of CCWs I had left and some spare brake parts) for about $8,000. So now I have 7-8k in my car fund to start this project. I don't want to say exactly what I paid for the '68 but it was in the 2-4k range. That doesn't leave me with very much money to put into this project right now, but my hope is to have the car running/driving with decent suspension/brakes and LS motor by the end of the year. The roller I bought is very incomplete and is missing a Ton of parts. Unfortunately that's what you get with first gens for 2-4k. I haven't researched the fisher plate/vin yet but the previous owner claimed it was originally an ash gold car, with an aluminum headed big block (L89), and a 4 speed. So if that's true then it was most likely an SS. The car doesn't have much rust but unfortunately had some hack work done on it. Someone that apparently didn't know how to use a tape measure, plasma cutter, grinder, or welder tried to replace the floor pans and mini tub the rear. I will be properly fixing all of that which is going to be the hardest part of this project since I don't know how to weld yet. The car already has a 9" rear end partially mocked up so I will be keeping that. Other plans include lowering leafs, good shocks, hotchkis front springs, sway bars, C4 hd 13" brakes, 17" wheels, and 5.3L/4l60e. Since I am on such a tight budget I am going to be looking at swap meets/Craigslist like a hawk and trying to find good condition used parts for a price I can afford. Any donations of time/money/parts are greatly appreciated! I might start a build thread here if I have time but also plan on doing a build thread on Lateral-g. The help you guys provide on this forum is very valuable though! Here's a couple pictures...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-15_13-53-52_481.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	67993   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-15_14-17-23_32.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	68001   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-15_15-48-58_80.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	68009  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-15_15-55-05_322.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	68017   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-03-15_17-05-00_80.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	68025  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 14, 07:26 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Newb from Oklahoma- "College Budget" 68 Camaro

Brice - Welcome aboard Team Camaro. Seems like a few of you picked up 68 rollers this past weekend. I look forward to your progress - always nice to see young blood take interest in a first gen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 05:58 AM
Senior Tech
Rich

Welcome Brice and sounds like you have a solid plan for this car, keep us posted on your progress - and lots of good info here

69 R/S Z/28 302 X33 D80 late 09C
69 T/A clonification LS6-6speed under construction
15 ZL1
64 Chevelle wagon 6.0l planned sons toy

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 06:13 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Hey, you're luckier than most of us were if you've actually got a budget while in college.

I actually had my first '69 while I was in college "that my daddy bought me" (but they were still cheap then) and was blessed to live in the great state of Georgia where the state lottery paid for your tuition as long as you kept your grades up. That along with a few other scholarships, plus working summers, then eventually a co-op job gave me a little money.....after partying, girls, etc enough to keep gas in it anyway. Oh, and I just sold it this weekend.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Brice - and as Steiner says - college with a budget? Go for it.
Correct year and you should start a logbook for all parts, work, and changes to the electrical system as you go along - as we get older, we tend to forget.

The front fenders are from a Firebird, hence the deflector shields for air flow.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 06:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Welcome aboard Brice. Other than going to the "wrong" school, you are a very welcome addition. Just kidding of course. I have a brother and nephew who graduated from OSU and lots of friends.
You are way ahead of the game having gained experience at your dad's shop. My dad was not at all into cars, and never could figure out what or why. He was a great wood worker, though. You have also figured out how to use your skills to trade up. That will come in handy.
Anyway, I am a straight shot down I-35 from you. Sherri and I are on a small acreage in SE Edmond.
I bought my first 69 Z/28 in the summer of 1971. My current car was acquired in 1976. I traded an Opel for it. Your 68 looks like a good start. Better than a lot of us started with.
Your VIN will only confirm the car is a V8 from the factory. Will start with 124378 if it is a V8 car.
No driveline info on the trim tag in 68. It will tell you original paint color and original interior style and color, along with date of manufacture.

NCRS is providing a service starting this year (should be up and running in April) that MAY allow you to find out the original selling dealer. Possibly some other info in certain circumstances. L89 cars are uber rare. Probably not an L89 car with drum brakes. Although discs were not required for SS in 68, it seems most guys getting the performance upgrade would go with discs. That would be worth investigating. The NCRS service will not provide nearly as much info as the Pontiac guys get from PHS, but it is more than we have had available in the Camaro world. In some ways, you will have much more fun with the car if it isn't something particularly rare. Just build it the way you like it.

Lynn
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 07:14 AM
Senior Tech
Ty

Welcome to the addiction. You don't have to be a business major to know an LS swap should cost you 10k minimum, never mind everything else you car needs. Hey...that is why we call it the addiction.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
Brice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Your VIN will only confirm the car is a V8 from the factory. Will start with 124378 if it is a V8 car.
No driveline info on the trim tag in 68. It will tell you original paint color and original interior style and color, along with date of manufacture.

NCRS is providing a service starting this year (should be up and running in April) that MAY allow you to find out the original selling dealer. Possibly some other info in certain circumstances. L89 cars are uber rare. Probably not an L89 car with drum brakes. Although discs were not required for SS in 68, it seems most guys getting the performance upgrade would go with discs. That would be worth investigating. The NCRS service will not provide nearly as much info as the Pontiac guys get from PHS, but it is more than we have had available in the Camaro world. In some ways, you will have much more fun with the car if it isn't something particularly rare. Just build it the way you like it.
Thank you for this information! I wasn't assuming the car was actually anything special, and this just confirms that there isn't really a way to tell yet. I might try to look into it more, but I don't feel too bad about cutting up the car since it's already been hacked on.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Brice

Thank you for the warm welcome guys! It's day 4 of owning the car and I have it stripped down to the tub, bought DSE 3" drop leaves off craigslist for $240 from Craig (the owner of Padgham Truck Accessories in Del City) and have started fixing the bad fiberglass job on the firewall. I also have a lead on a 68 subframe that is supposed to have all new suspension/steering components for $300. I have held out on ordering any parts yet because there is a big swap meet in Duncan, OK that I plan on attending later this week.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 12:23 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Lynn

Tell me more about the Duncan swap meet. Any on line info?

Lynn
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Brice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilodeaulynn View Post
Tell me more about the Duncan swap meet. Any on line info?
Here is a link to a website they have. It looks like it's going to be pretty big with 140,000 square feet indoors and 42 acres outside. Thurursday-Saturday. http://www.duncanokswapmeet.com/
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 02:38 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome Brice!

T.C.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 04:26 PM
Tech Team
Mule

Hey Brice. Great to have another Okie. Ditto on Lynns school comments! I'm across the road from Lynn in Edmond. Let us know if you need any help.

Mule

Buckets and piles of a 1968 SS Conv 396
-piles are getting smaller, and it started !
- got the paint on, interior is next.
- interior is about done, it's cruise'able !
- down to top,windows and a few little pieces and it's done
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 04:43 PM
Senior Tech
omar

welcome to t.c. lots of good info and help , just for your info that's a 67 firebird front clip on your Camaro

67 rs
70 rs
95 z28
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 14, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Brice

Thanks for the info guys! I could tell they were Firebird fenders when I got it, but they need to be replaced anyways due to being pretty rough. I'll be looking for used OEM 68 camaro fenders at the swap meet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode