New guy from Tampa - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 01:08 PM Thread Starter
Kaine

Smile New guy from Tampa

Stationed in Tampa with the wife. Currently hunting feverishly for a 1st gen to call my own. In the mean time this site allows me to research and learn more about the car I want. Thanks for having me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 01:11 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: New guy from Tampa

Welcome to TC

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 01:51 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

Welcome to the Team!!!

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 02:04 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Perfect reason to be here. Hope you find her soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Kaine.
Do your work, as you plan.
Then come up with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 03:26 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Welcome from the other side of the state

Thanks,

Mr. Fixit
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 2nd, 14, 04:08 PM
Senior Tech
Tom

Welcome to Tampa!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 14, 02:41 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilroy396 View Post
Welcome to Tampa!
Welcome to Tampa, Tampa!

If you ever want to come by & tour our facility, give me a Call.

T.C.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 14, 04:02 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Hey Kaine,
Welcome aboard. I just relocated to the Clearwater area from Mass...great area to live in, and my understanding is that there's a very active Camaro/Classic Car population here.

Do you have any idea what you're leaning towards?

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 08:56 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Lobstah, Welcome aboard as well. This area is really nice, especially in the Winter (more like everyone else's Summer). After a while you get used to the Humid rainy Summer Season
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

'68 is the correct year (or so I'm told...).

Anyway I'd suggest going to the build thread section and look at the start of some of those threads. You'll see all the places where they rust and you'll learn exactly what to look for before you start negotiating prices.

Oh and ALWAYS bring a magnet.

Welcome aboard! I bought mine a year and a half ago and, though my engine is a tad different from 99% of other camaros, I've learned a lot from these guys.

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 14, 11:23 AM
Bill

I recently bought my 68 and I can provide you with what I did. First, http://classiccars.com/listings/find...evrolet/camaro currently has ~400 1st gens which is a great sampling of cost, features & quality. I also searched CL, not only SpaceCoast where I am, but also South Florida, Heartland, Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, Daytona...the bigger markets and all within a reasonable drive. Daytona holds a Turkey Rod Run in March & November. Lots of good hands on there, but pricey. http://justmusclecars.com/ usually has a couple. I made a spreadsheet listing the different cars and their features. I prioritized based on my desirements. It really helped keep track of the details. It gets overwhelming pretty quick.

If I knew then what I know, I may have made a different choice or two. Mainly, I would like to have a 5-speed to reduce rpms on the highway & around town. It's harder to justify it after the purchase. If you are rebuilding that may not be an issue. I found rebuilding costs a LOT more. I routinely saw rusty, non-drivers for 10-15k, where you can drive off in a low mileage resto for 20-25k. I didn't have the time, $, space, knowledge or desire to rebuild, but I will never be able to say, "yeah I built that". I have to say, "I'm making it better" which I'm good with.

Pick up a "Kevin's Cruise News" mag to hit the local (FL) car shows. I'm sure there's Camaro clubs over there too. One last point is individual owners are more willing to take a loss where dealers aren't. Dealers also take out taxes.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by highwinger; Jun 5th, 14 at 11:33 AM. Reason: add a line
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 14, 03:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

One piece of advice that I'd recommend following...
If someone is selling a "restored" or "solid" car...ask them for before and after pictures.
Other experienced car guys all thought my car was "solid"...right until I stripped it down for a frame-off.
I found fiberglass fillers in the floor pans, rust in the toe boards and rockers, etc.

I now have pics of the rebuild of my car, showing installation of the one piece underbelly that went from firewall to the rear valance, including rear frame rails, etc.
So when I say the car is "rust-free"...I can prove it

Bottom line, if you don't have that documentation, be prepared to do a frame-off to get it right. That may be worse case scenario, but it's real. Without pics, everything is unknown...and you can spend a LOT of money and a LOT of time getting it safe and right.

My body shop called me over one day and showed me the rear shock towers, that had looked pretty solid before media blasting. It was clear that if I had really launched the car, the shocks would have probably gone through the rear windshield

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Kaine

Thanks for having me guys. I may have to thin the herd before I grab my Camaro project. Trying to close on 5 acres I found in Riverview with a 40x80' barn.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 05:08 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainedogg View Post
Thanks for having me guys. I may have to thin the herd before I grab my Camaro project. Trying to close on 5 acres I found in Riverview with a 40x80' barn.
40' x 80' barn... good planning

67 new build alum. 406 | 69 RS/SS 496 631 HP / 618 TQ | 73 Z28 Survivor 36k miles | 89 IROC Z 2500 miles | 02 SS 35th Anniv. LE 645 miles |11 SS Berger 550HP (1 of 25) | 14 ZL1 6M Recaros
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode