Looking to buy a 1st generation Camaro to work on with my Dad - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Luke

Looking to buy a 1st generation Camaro to work on with my Dad

Hi everyone. I'm a fourteen year old from Florida, and my dad and I are looking for a first generation Camaro to work on as a project car. His first car was a '74 Camaro, so we're big Chevy fans.

We've been looking for something that's really beat up, but we've only come across one that met our criteria, which went above our budget on Ebay. Since then, we haven't had much luck in finding one that meets our needs.

We want something that's relatively cheap (under about $7000), and we want something that needs a lot of work done. It would be preferable for it to be located somewhere in Florida, or maybe Georgia. The only specific feature that we want is a convertible top.

We've been looking for a while, but haven't had a lot of luck. If someone could point us in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 03:52 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G
Re: Looking to buy a 1st generation Camaro to work on with my Dad

Welcome to TC Luke.
I wish you a lot of luck is finding the Camaro of your and your Dad's dreams.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 04:14 PM
John

Garage

Welcome to TC

My son and I work on our cars together. It has kept close as father and son a best friends.

$7k is a little light even for a starter car. If you buy a rusted out heap it can and most probably will end up an expensive and frustrating experience.

IMO it will take $10-$12 to get you something that will fill your needs.

I suggest you keep looking hard and save a little more money to put towards a project.

Another way to go is sort of like I did with my son when he was about your age.

We started with a Fox Body Mustang. 5.0 motor and a 5 speed makes a great car and the are cheap to buy parts for.

You can pick up a descent driver for $3-$4 spend a little money and time detailing it and fixing it up and then sell it for a profit.

This will also give you the experience in building and budgeting that will be invaluable when you move on to the Camaro Project.

Whatever you do I strongly suggest you buy a COMPLETE car.

Good Luck

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 08:10 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

Great advice. If you are however dead set on a camaro, do not let location completely dictate your purchasing situation. It is easy to buy a plane ticket or two from southwest (pretty cheap flights) and go inspect one in person wherever it may be. I would suggest looking throughout the southern part of the country, new mexico, nevada, arizona, texas, etc... DRY Places. A vehicle can be shipped on a truck for generally around $1000. I have had several shipped from california to oklahoma for around $900, and thats a pretty long haul. Also, don't settle for something just because its near your budget. As previously stated, if its cheap, its probably a heap. Find something with solid rocker panels, and frame rails underneath the trunk. IMHO that is the most important part of finding a builder. An extra thousand or two can save you thousands in the long run.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 14, 08:19 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Luke - Welcome to TC. I'm going to move this thread to the Welcome Wagon since it seems to fit there.

I agree with the others posted strategic plans to find the perfect project but add these suggestions. Take a road trip around your area and scope out the gems under all our noses everyday. Side of garages, backyards covered with a tarp, or open garage doors sometimes reveal a project ready for a new owner. You might just be in the right place at the right time. Also check the local free trade papers and craigslist in your area. ANd why not post a wanted ad here in our classified section stating what you are really looking for i.e. a roller vs a running but needs work etc vehicle.

As with all leads go and vet the condition out for yourself in person as suggested - believe no ones self description of the cream-puff.

We all look forward to your updates and eventual start of the build project thread to post your progress. Your Dad is a lucky guy to have you share his passions for Camaros.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message

Last edited by 69-Pace; Jun 14th, 14 at 08:41 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 07:10 AM
Mike

http://smd.craigslist.org/cto/4521420372.html. would be one hellnof a drive for you but came across this ad and remembered your post. Good luck and hope you find what you are looking for!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 07:47 AM
Senior Tech
Camarodude67

Here is another one...

http://beaumont.craigslist.org/cto/4519270194.html
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Luke

Thanks for all the great advice, everyone! I'm glad to be a part of TC, and we'll keep you posted on the project.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Jun 15th, 14, 12:32 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
first generation, project car

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode