Hello Team Camaro... - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 16th, 14, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Andrew

Hello Team Camaro...

My name is Andrew and I just joined today, I'll be looking around on here for some insights and advice. We've got a 1977 Z28 that is being uncovered after spending 22 years on blocks. It was the wife's first car, she and her Ex put it on blocks years ago because of CA SMOG issues.

Needless to say, I'm sure it is going to need a complete overall, and not one I'm sure we have the resources to tackle. Anyone with any experience in similar situations? Advice, pointers...questions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Re: Hello Team Camaro...

Welcome, Andrew
Good project. Remove gas cao and smell.
If pungent, figure on dropping the tank and have it cooked out for cleaning or replacement of same tank - I'd look for cleaning.
Existing fuel lines, disconnect at carb and fuel pump and siphon with air gun, about a gallon of alcohol to clean hard lines. Then blow dry.
Carb will need removed and pulled apart for cleaning.

Figure on replacing any soft fuel hoses AND vacuum hoses, fuel filter, air filter, engine oil & filter, fresh battery, clean battery cable clamps, check brake fluid, and think about flushing brake fluid, trans fluid, and rear axle fluid after getting them hot from driving.

Remove spark plugs and squirt oil into cylinders and with plugs out, crank over engine spreading the oil about the rings for less friction on the starter during real engine cranking.

Once fuel tank is clean and installed, prime fuel line(s) by disconnecting fuel pump inlet and applying shop air into filler tube after adding fresh fuel. When fuel comes out, connect fuel inlet. You might pour 1/3 cup of fuel into carb bowl vent, the 1/4 inch diameter tube sticking out, to prime the carb.

You might also change belts as they will take a set after being motionless for 22 years, reccommended, not a requirement.

Enjoy the ride.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 05:55 AM
Senior Tech
Tim

^ great advice there! Do the basics to get the car running and braking safely, then work out what else needs doing and break each job up methodically working through the whole car. Once it runs and drives, you will have more motivation to do further jobs on weekends and evenings. Best advice I can offer would be to invest in a set of factory workshop service and assembly manuals for your specific model and year. AIM shown below is a great start if you only get one source of reference, shows how everything goes together.
Oh, and welcome to Team Camaro

1969 04A Van Nuys-built Z/28. Cortez Silver with dark blue interior and VE3. Sold Clippinger Chevrolet. Raced at Lions in LA.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 17th, 14, 06:56 AM
Senior Tech
Ty

Welcome...
I always like to see more Cali members on the board.

Good to see another big bumper Camaro back on the road.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 14, 11:58 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome Andrew!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 12:06 PM
sandy

Im looking for a brown 77 z28
Does anyone know of one available
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 15, 12:14 PM
DjD
Retired
Dennis

Garage

Check out www.camarogenerations.com to meet locals, in fact next Sunday they host a car show you should go to and meet some of the club members. Flyer for the show... http://camarogenerations.yolasite.co.../MCITPVII..pdf

Have fun with the '77 just keep in mind smog exemption ends with the '75 model year, you will still have to play with the smog laws but it shouldn't be too hard to build something that passes if you do your homework up front...

...Dennis

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't take life so serious, you won't get out alive..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode