A new old guy - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

A new old guy

I owned a 67 Chevelle during most of my 20's while my brothers had 60's Cuda and Nova. Well, now I have an inherited 67 stock Camaro with some unique features (on column auto, bucket front, fold down bench back seat) and just needs some TLC.

Car has less than 64k on it. Going to keep the inline 6 250 engine despite antsy kids wanting to power boost it! Floor boards and undercarriage in great shape.

Just removed the seats and carpet. Seats need reupholstered and will be putting in new, but proper carpet.

First big job is converting all drum breaks to disc. Have received the kit from Rick's Camaro's and now trying to decide if I want to do this myself with some help from some volunteers. It's been almost 30 years since I did car work - and never did anything more than replace pads in regards to brakes. A conversion may be over my head, but don't have extra $.

Thoughts & comments?!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 12:19 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: A new old guy

Welcome Greg. In the 30 years since tooling on cars the amount of almost immediate help you can find is amazing. I would say research the conversion process here in existing threads, search youtube for some videos and then ask the Team Camaro community any particulars you are shady on then if you still are uncomfortable, job it out to a local professional but I would try it first if it was me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

That's my original plan. The car is up on jacks, wheels and brake drum covers are off... and plenty of YouTube...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 09:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Welcome to the site Greg. In your OP you gave the impression you was wanting to keep your 67 stock until you got to converting the brakes. Why the disc brakes if you are keeping the 6 and Power Glide?

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 14, 09:57 PM
Senior Tech
Sean

I always tell people that with the right amount of patience, attention to detail, and time, anything can be accomplished. This is no different. Mechanical work on cars is nothing more than a bunch of repetition of this bolt, this hole. That bolt, that hole. As previously stated, most are more than happy to give advice when asked. Best of luck, don't be afraid to ask. I do this for a living and have to ask people.

1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 3.70
1967 RS/SS Camaro 383 5 speed tremec 4.10
1967 RS Camaro Convertible 327 4 speed 3.73
1969 SS Camaro 6.0 LS Twin Turbo 5 Speed 3.50
2013 ZL1 Camaro roto-fab airbox pulley swap Rest In Pieces March 27 2014
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 17th, 14, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Hi Roger - well, in talking to area collectors, I've been told that switching out the brakes is not a "sin!" The bottom line is that I want to feel safe and comfortable driving the car when it is on the road.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 04:42 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Roger

Greg if you put disc brakes on I believe you also will need 15" wheels.

Roger

1967 Camaro SS/RS 350/295HP Coupe. First and only owner.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 18th, 14, 06:55 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Remember the force stored in the springs. If you are changing to front discs you will likely have to change the spindles. Be AWARE springs can be dangerous. Read the past threads.
And if you have it that much apart new bushings and ball joints may be a good idea.

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 09:21 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome Greg!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 10:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerh View Post
Greg if you put disc brakes on I believe you also will need 15" wheels.

Roger
He won't necessarily need 15" wheels (although that would work) but he will need an appropriate rim to clear the calipers. That's what they made Rally Wheels (in a 14" diameter in 67) for...

To the OP: If you change to disc brakes you won't be able to use the stock steel rims. Check this out: http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#Wheels

67 Camaro: 454/TH400/4.10 12 bolt. Lots of options: PS/PDB/PW, tilt, tach, gauges and more. K-K + 797-Z...

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedy" - Sir Ernest Benn
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

I know I will need new bushings, but do you think I will need new ball joints and spindles? Only been driven by a couple "old guys" for a total of less than 64k mikes. 2 owners, my great uncle and my grandfather.

I am starting to think you guys all work in sales for a service department! LOL (just kidding - I appreciate all of the advice and suggestions.)

BTW - the springs DO scare me!! I will be seeking professional help for these.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 11:26 AM
Senior Tech
George

If it were mine, I think I would have simply gone to "power" brakes, and go through the complete brake system, to keep it as original as possible, with added safety. This may be a moote point if you can't return the kit.
JM2Cents
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 14, 01:28 PM
Apprentice
Sam

congrats and good luck

Sammy T
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 14, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 RS Ragtop View Post
If it were mine, I think I would have simply gone to "power" brakes, and go through the complete brake system, to keep it as original as possible, with added safety. This may be a moote point if you can't return the kit.
JM2Cents
Hmmm. That is an interesting idea / concept. I have only opened the boxes from Right Stuff to ensure that everything is there. Nothing has been handled or installed yet. I will look into this! Thanks.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Aug 22nd, 14, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Greg.
Congrats on the '67 from family.
Transplanted Iowan here from Marshalltown since '72.
Good suggestions given by Ragtop (George), and from FTF (Sean) and 69Pace (Brian).
You might look into purchasing a reproduction service manual, chassis manual and AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for the year of Camaro from most any aftermarket supplier.
Another book is an older Motors Manual for the year, or inclusive year, they span six years, and read up on the instructions how-to-do front ends and other items. Amazon.com?

Believe me, and others will agree, Snowball Effect comes to mind.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - this is how we learn.

Warning: you may be gigged for pictures, I'm surprised you haven't been asked yet.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode