New guy checkin in :) - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 14, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Jason

New guy checkin in :)

Hi, I recently picked up another project. It is a 69 Camaro SS X-11 code with the factory block.
I dont really know anything about the motor other than what the seller told me. And based on what I know about the individual. It is all probably a lie lol.
So He claimed,
It is bored .30 over making it a 355
Lunati Cam with hydraulic rollers.
unknown pistons or rods
roller tip rockers
World product heads

I have owned the car for around seven months now and have dropped about 7k in parts into it.
American outwore classic update kit
TCI super street fighter th400
Complete new interior
New floor pans with dynomat
New fuel lines and tranny cooler lines
edelbrock rpm aigret with holley 670 ultra street avenger
msd 6AL with coil and a billet MSD distributor
And a bunch of other miscellaneous parts.

However I am a bit stumped here on the ignition timing. I have a new snap on digital timing light. And I have tried to time the initial timing to anywhere from 8-15 degrees btdc. But the motor runs like crap and pops back through the carb.
So I set it to where it seems to run fairly descent and I'm reading 29 degrees!
And when I rev it up to about 2500 rpm or so it is reading 40 degrees.
I replaced the Harmonic balancer with a new one and I verified that when the #1 piston is at tdc The mark on the balancer aligns with "0" on the guage.
Am I doing something wrong here. I'm just a backyard mechanic and a Carpenter by trade lol.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

~Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 14, 07:54 PM
Senior Tech
Doug

Re: New guy checkin in :)

When you are checking the timing do you have the vacuum hose disconnected from the distributor and plugged? What model number is your distributor? If you don't have an instruction manual that comes with MSD distributors you can go to their website and download one. You will need it for setting the mechanical advance. Does the digital timing light have built in advance? There will be a knob on the back of the light. Keep it set on zero. The easiest way to set the timing is to disconnect the vacuum hose from distributor and plug it. Rev the engine to 3500-4000 rpms, point the light at the timing scale and turn the knob to 36 degrees. The line on the balancer should align with zero on the scale. Here is an article to read that will have a lot of useful info. http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...EI_distributor
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 14, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Jason

Hi, thanks for responding! I'm not sure what the model number of the distributor is. I will have to search around it to see if i can find a number.
The timing light that I am using is a snap on digital light. When it is set to zero the mark on the balancer is flashing close to about 12 o'clock. Not even close to the gauge on the timing cover. But as I start pushing the up arrow on the light the mark starts moving towards the gauge on the cover. Until I reach 29 degrees. (with the vacuum line off and plugged and engine idling at 1000rpm. At which time the mark on the balancer is on "0" btdc. When I rev the engine to around 2500rpm with the vacuum advance line still off and plugged I have to push the up arrow on the light until it is at 40 degrees to get the mark on "0" of the timing cover.
Thanks for the link btw I am going to read up on that now...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 04:36 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Are you sure you have the engine at TDC on the compression stroke? Remember, the crank spins twice for every revolution of the distributor. Pull the #1 spark plug and hold your thumb over it while someone bumps the engine over. You should feel compression as it nears TDC.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
Jason

Yes I am positive it is on the compression stroke. I did just as you described when determining the compression stroke. Once I got the mark on the balancer aligned with "0" on the cover gauge i pulled the distributor cap and the rotor was pointing about an inch clockwise past number one plug.
However, I have been doing a bit of research online and some people with similar builds reported that their engine "likes" to run at upwards of 34 degrees initial timing and 38 degrees total. Is this possible? If so then how do I set the total timing as to not go past a total of 38 degrees? And how do you know where the sweet spot for timing is? Is it simply trial and error? Give it timing until it pings then back it off a bit... Im a little stumped here lol
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Jason

Also... When unplugging the vacuum advance. Do you plug the carb or the vacuum line leading to the distributor? Or both?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 07:04 AM
Senior Tech
Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crews69 View Post
Also... When unplugging the vacuum advance. Do you plug the carb or the vacuum line leading to the distributor? Or both?
You'll want to plug the carb.

67 Black RS Coupe, 383, M21 & 10 Bolt Posi. Edelbrock E-Tech 170 Heads, 2204 Roller Cam, Air Gap Intake.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 14, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Jason

Alright thank you. I thought so and all of the figures above were read with the carb plugged
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Oct 31st, 14, 11:53 AM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome Jason, Sounds like a Good Project!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode