Hello, new guy here from San Diego. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 3rd, 14, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Pat

Hello, new guy here from San Diego.

Hey guys,
I have always loved and owned several camaro's in my life.
I have a passion for all types of cars thats why I started a restoration/customizing shop several years ago. I'm located in Southern Cal. Just picked up another '69 for myself this time and Im really excited to get behind the wheel again. Looking forward to joining this site after years of reading behind the fence.

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 04:54 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: Hello, new guy here from San Diego.

Welcome Pat. What are your plans for your new to you 69?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 04:58 AM
Senior Tech
ray

Welcome. Glad to have you with us.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 05:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

So the question is: Just how custom are you going with it?

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 05:23 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
the BOSS&Ralph

Hey from the Ozarks. I lived in Ramona from '87 to '92. Do the "car guys" still get together at Alpha Beta lot every other Saturday night?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 09:07 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Welcome Pat, I'm not that far from you up the 15...unless there's traffic, then I'm a few hours away. Lol. Got any pictures of your new 69?

6 kids...= poor man...and I wouldn't have it any other way!

'69 X11 w/PoP- finally home!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 09:09 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyviper View Post
Hey from the Ozarks. I lived in Ramona from '87 to '92. Do the "car guys" still get together at Alpha Beta lot every other Saturday night?
Alpha Beta went out of business not that long after you moved out of state..wanna say in 94, 95 ish.

6 kids...= poor man...and I wouldn't have it any other way!

'69 X11 w/PoP- finally home!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Pat

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.
As for the alfa beta, Im not sure where that store was but there is a Stater brothers and across the street there is an Albertsons. And yes, (Friendlyviper) there is a small group of guys that get together on Sunday afternoon in front of the BOA bank and Chase bank.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 14, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Pat

Some of you are asking about the details about my car.
Its a long story but I will make it as simple as possible.

I had a 67 camaro a while back that had a lot of Pro touring parts on it.
My good friend made a good offer on it so I sold it to him. After he bought it they did very little to it and desided that they wanted to do a 69 instead, so they sold the body and kept all the cool parts that I had on it. Forgeline wheels, fab 9" 35 spline axles N center section with Cris Alston four link with coil over shocks and huge sway bar. Front has Adjustable A-arms, coil over shocks, ATS spindles, Ride tech sway bar and streeing set up. Bla bla bla... Sooo... After a few months they found a 69 camaro and installed the P-T parts on it. After starting on the car they seen that it was going to cost more than they wanted to spend so he called me and made an offer to trade for my unpainted 34 ford. He said paint it
black and we'll trade. I said okay. Short back ground on the 69.

The guy they got the car from has a body shop and did the paint and body already. Painted it orange with gold pearl. Not really my thing so I was just going to sand it and re paint it. After they delivered the 69 to my shop I started to probe around. I took a flashlight to look inside the trunk at the back side of the quarter panels to see if the quarters have been replaced or not. What I saw was a strap welded to hold the quarter panel skin to the old quarter. There was all kinds of mig wire poking through and bondo drippings. As an owner of a restoration shop I couldnt live with that so I took a wire wheel to the outside of the quarter panel and starter grinding to see how the patch looked up close. Wow!! I couldnt believe the way they repaired the quarter. There was so much bondo.

The welding was laid on in 2" beads with a 3" separation between. That explains why there was bondo showing on the back side. So I desided to replace the whole quarter on the pass side. I did the same thing on the drivers side and it was just as bad. But it only needed a skin. After removing both quarters I will need to replace the outter wheel houses and the drop offs too.
I noticed that the window channel where the moulding goes was missing the chrome moulding attachment pins. That means that some one has either repaired or filled it with bondo. Guess what? Ha! I took screew driver to it and pooked a hole right through it. I found foam behind it with bondo over the top. How creative. The same thing on the front window too. After I removed all the foam and bondo I noticed that there was nothing holding the roof skin to the lip. So, I removed the roof too. And of course, more rust. The roof support was waisted.

I couldnt believe what this so called body shop did to this car. He said that this was his personal car for him self to keep before selling it. I say BS!
The next thing I went to was the trunk. It was covered up with some kind of roll on black bumpy paint. I just knew that they were trying to cover up something so I started to push on the floor of the trunk with a screew driver and oops, right through. That lead me to look under the car at the bottom and I noticed that the rear tailight frame was rusted too. So, I have to replace the tail light panel and the lower inside panel. Since I have a body shop this isnt that big of a deal for me to replace all this but it really bothers me that this was all covered up to sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	91289  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 14, 03:10 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Pat
Quite the journey ahead on the '69 - Good luck
You could post over Build Projects for a continuing story?

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 14, 01:33 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome Pat!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Nov 7th, 14, 03:44 PM
Senior Tech
Rick

Hey Pat,
Where are you located in Ramona? I work out of El Cajon and go into Ramona weekly. I'd like to come by and check out your car and shop.

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode