Another New Guy - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 14, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Another New Guy

Hello Everyone,

Just brought home a new baby girl. Her name is Dorothy named after my mom who helped me pickup my first 68 Camaro some 30+ years ago. Over the years I had three 68's, a 350 RS, a 250 Coupe and at one point I had a 68 SS/RS 396 4spd that I sold for $8,500 maybe 20 years ago. I hate to think what it would have been worth today. Anyways I'm fortunate to have a wife that lets me have my toys, she knows we both work hard and we need to be able to enjoy our self's.

So last Thursday my wife, two dogs, & I headed out on a 900 mile ride from SW Florida up to Hunts Auto Restorations in Florence Alabama with a wade of cash. Negotiates were hard and it came down to the cash I had set aside plus another $100 out of my wallet. The owner Tommy was a seasoned car salesmen who knew when a guy says he only has X.XX to spend he will usually have a little in his wallet. After all was said and done I did get it for $1,400 less than his asking price.

The car still has the numbers matching 250 Straight Six in her, as hard as it maybe I plan to keep it in there and not rip it out for a small block.

Here are a few picks:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 14, 10:03 AM
Senior Tech
Dustin

Re: Another New Guy

That is clean. Congats!

1967 RS Convertible, 454, M20 4-speed
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 14, 10:26 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Cool Re: Another New Guy

First - Welcome to Team CAMARO

Very car - love the L-6/PG combo

I love the low option convertibles
Makes it easy to imagine some 'school-marm' or older lady wanting a sporty car to spice up there life being the first owner.
But, maybe that's just some dream I've had ...

1968 Convertible
Some trucks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V8 things - some of which float
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Other V6 things - none of which float

Oh yeah, and 1 "Straight-Six" ...

If a man says something in the garage - and his wife can't hear him - is he still wrong !!!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 14, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Bobby

Vintage_68,

You hit the nail right on the head. The car came with the original protecto-plate with the original owner being Dorthy Hoyt of Ballston NY. In doing a little web research I found that she was born in 1907 which puts her purchase of the car at 61 years old and passed away 01/02/1989. The odometer has 38,000 miles on it and by the overall condition of the car I have to suspect its the original mileage. So I think I truly got a car that was only driven by a little old lady on the weekends
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 14, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Bobby.
Congrats on bringing Dorothy home and she is the correct year.
Enjoy the journey. I agree with john, nice package all the way around, L6/PG included.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 14, 07:42 PM
Senior Tech
Ty

The addiction never leaves. Glad you found another one. Cheers.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 14, 04:38 AM
Senior Tech
ray

Welcome. Glad you joined in with us. Nice looking ride.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 20th, 14, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
T.C.

Welcome Bobby!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 04:21 AM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Very nice. Welcome to TC

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 05:42 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

I think you got the sister car to mine!

Yours is the first stock 250 I've seen that looks like it is in better shape than mine was when I got it. Usually they aren't as well cared for.

You can always do a couple of bolt-ons to make the 250 better: HEI, Clifford or Langdon headers, Offy or Clifford intake, Holley 390 CFM 4bbl. All can be swapped back to original parts in a weekend if you go this route.

Here's my engine with an Offy heated intake, Langdon split headers, Holly 0-8007 390 CFM carb, and some chrome. She goes pretty good now too. Haven't tried it yet but I'm positive I can keep up with or even pass a stock 327.

I only see a couple of slight differences (besides the obvious). You have a different upper radiator hose. Mine was a PITA to find at the autoparts store. I could have probably much more easily gone your route and it would work fine. Another I see are the wires on the driver's side wheel well. All the 250's I've seen have those tucked into the fender like mine. I went a bit further, however, and lengthened some others on the other side and tucked them as well. Still have more to go but eventually I'd like to have all the wires hidden and even the heater hoses. That's a project for next spring. I might even re-route the lines, etc, along the firewall through the underside of the dash.

In mine I figure it's a 6. I might as well make it how I want it, right? It's not a Z28 or anything...

If you get a moment can you take a pic of your motor mounts? I'm fighting a self-imposed issue there and I'm curious if yours are stock or if they came up with something better.

Nice car! Welcome aboard! We now have a whopping 4 6 cylinder cars here!

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior

Last edited by Gbauer; Nov 21st, 14 at 05:52 AM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 09:28 AM
Team Member
Len

. Haven't tried it yet but I'm positive I can keep up with or even pass a stock 327.

Hey now..I resemble that remark...we have to get together and see if you can walk the talk....I have fought for years with myself whether to pull my stock 327 and put in a crate 300 + hp engine.....Now you have me thinking of pulling it and putting in a 250 .....Nice cars... Len
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 02:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENN 68 View Post
Hey now..I resemble that remark...we have to get together and see if you can walk the talk....I have fought for years with myself whether to pull my stock 327 and put in a crate 300 + hp engine.....Now you have me thinking of pulling it and putting in a 250 .....Nice cars... Len
Where at in PA? Close to Fredneck, MD?

Sold:
1968 Base hardtop 250 with a P̶G̶ built 2004r
Offy intake
Holley 390 CFM carb
Langdon split header to a 2.5" exhaust
Mild cam
Custom interior
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 14, 04:01 PM
Team Member
Len

Hey George I am in north east Pa. along lake Erie....so that's about 300 mi from you....I figure if I drove to you with my 327 it would take about 4 hrs...If you drove to me with your 250 it would take about 5 hrs.....Len
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 04:43 PM
Team Member
Len

Hey George ..you know I am just kidding around ..right?...Len
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	68 camaro engine 004.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	92953  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 14, 09:03 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Don

Love straight sixes...nice find

FENTON'67SS/RS
Mount Vernon, WA
"They don't think it be like it is...but it do!"

'67 SS/RS, 468/510hp, M22, 331 12-bolt posi, CPP Big Brakes, TCI Autocross Suspension/2" front drop, 18" Raceline Static 5 polished billet wheels, Nitto 335/30ZR18 102Y Extreme Drags rear and Nitto 235/40R18 91W Extreme ZR front

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode