my trek to buy a 1st gen camaro - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Derek

my trek to buy a 1st gen camaro

well,

i went to look at my first potential camaro. it was a 1967.....frame rot in the rear of the car, interior in shambles, sub-par rocker panels, bubbling paint around the windows (i assume paint over rust?), the gaps on the body didnt look great. the engine was new and strong, but that was the only positive thing going for it.
my search continues....

DeadBird---rhode island
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 12:43 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Re: my trek to buy a 1st gen camaro

What kind of starting point are you looking for? I see your a fellow Rhode Islander welcome aboard.

My build pics:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 01:13 PM
Tony

huh?

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 01:40 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSixty8 View Post
huh?
He started looking to buy a 1st gen. but the one he described above was not to his liking. I'm asking what condition he is looking for as a starting point. And it appears he is from RI as am I.

My build pics:

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 02:25 PM
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsabbi View Post
well,

i went to look at my first potential camaro. it was a 1967.....frame rot in the rear of the car, interior in shambles, sub-par rocker panels, bubbling paint around the windows (i assume paint over rust?), the gaps on the body didnt look great. the engine was new and strong, but that was the only positive thing going for it.
my search continues....

DeadBird---rhode island
That's about how our search went as well. Seems like cars in that condition, people were asking 10-12k for.

Something I started looking at in ads were if it had a fuel cell, or roll cage. Either destroys the value IMO. Even if the rest of the car was great, either of these items will cost quite a bit to un-screw.

I learned a lot just going to look at lots of cars, and searching on here where to look for rust.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenp0827 View Post
What kind of starting point are you looking for? I see your a fellow Rhode Islander welcome aboard.
yes, i am in narragansett....
as far as the car goes, i am looking for as close to turnkey as my money will buy. i have no desire to take on a project car. i want a daily driver (aside from the salty winter months)

i looked at a car in NK earlier today--that was the one i described earlier....i am supposed to head up to springfield mass tomorrow to look at two others.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Derek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSmithFamily View Post
That's about how our search went as well. Seems like cars in that condition, people were asking 10-12k for.

Something I started looking at in ads were if it had a fuel cell, or roll cage. Either destroys the value IMO. Even if the rest of the car was great, either of these items will cost quite a bit to un-screw.

I learned a lot just going to look at lots of cars, and searching on here where to look for rust.
i have a camaro restoration book which has helped me zero in on the most common and most important areas to looks for rust. up here in the northeast, that will be a huge part of my car inspection. they were asking way too much for the car i saw today....$20k

Last edited by Dsabbi; Jan 11th, 15 at 03:29 PM.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 04:10 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

NK!
I lived in North Kingstown in the mid 70's as a kid when Quonset Point NAS/Davisville were active. Went back a few years ago and found the dog patch just like when we left. Lol.

The secret to buying a turnkey IMHO is finding one before it ends up at an auction or in an ad. Word of mouth and wide eyes as you drive about sometimes are the best way to capture one for your own at the right price.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 04:24 PM
Tech Team
Troy&Jess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsabbi View Post
i have a camaro restoration book which has helped me zero in on the most common and most important areas to looks for rust. up here in the northeast, that will be a huge part of my car inspection. they were asking way too much for the car i saw today....$20k
HAHA, oh hell no! I did go and look at one car that the guy swore was a super nice car, 406SBC, dart heads, painless wiring etc etc.

We got there and the place looked like a junk yard and my heart sank. Needless to say the car was a complete pile. He was asking $10K and wanted me to make him a fair offer. I offered him $2,500 as I figured that I could part it out and add a little more to my savings. He thought it was a steal at 10K lol. It had a gate latch holding the glove box closed, it was that kind of car...

Look further south, and west. Its not that much to ship a car. And flying in and driving home is a fun adventure too. I think if you do find a car in the North East that isn't rusted completely out, it will be a stored indoors all its life and be out of a normal mans budget.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 06:34 PM
Senior Tech
Jeff

I bought my first, and probably last, '69 camaro a few weeks ago. I had been looking for a couple years on and off, but my search became more serious in the last six months.

What worked for me was posting a want ad on kijiji, "looking to buy 1969 Camaro". My budget was $30-35k Canadian, thats about 30k US on the high end. You will get lots of guys trying to sell you their cars for more then they are worth, but what you are looking for is the guys who want to sell but haven't posted it for sale yet. You want to be the first guy to look at the car before the sale becomes public knowledge.

If a car is posted online or in autotrader and it's worth buying, it will sell within 24-48 hours and most likely be gone before you even get a chance to see it.

I also learned that you will probably have to over pay for a car by maybe 10% because if you don't, someone else will. I have kids, wife and mortgage so my budget was pretty tight, you will be competing for cars with people who have deeper pockets then you might. They can afford to over pay a bit for a car, so if you want one, you will have to be willing to over pay too.

You are right to look for ones that are 'turn key', but it is hard to find one done that has the color or features you are looking for. The one I bought needed a driveline, but it had a complete interior, had just been painted and is 100% rust free. Mine had some undisclosed wiring issues that tacked on some costs, so you might want to be prepared to spend an extra 10-15% for the unknown problems.

My car should arrive next weekend and I'll be in it about 40k Canadian, about 35k US. It's more then I wanted to spend, and I might have more in it then it's worth but I look forward to turning that key for the first time this spring.

Good luck in your search
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 07:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

I think the issue is that buyers want a rust free driver for $20k, and sellers know how rare rust free drivers are. If you don't want a project, and aren't prepared to buy in, for example, Arizona or California and pay $25k to $30k, you're not going to have much luck. Rust free, non-project cars just aren't available at the $10k to $20k price point.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 15, 08:24 PM
Senior Tech
Al

pm sent

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 15, 07:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I was looking for about 4 years before I finally stumbled across my 69 Camaro.

1969 Camaro SS, 350(NOM), M21, 12 Bolt Posi, 01B LOS Build
1977 Camaro, 350(LM1), M20, 10 Bolt Posi, Purchased New, (SOLD)
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 15, 08:04 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
I think the issue is that buyers want a rust free driver for $20k, and sellers know how rare rust free drivers are. If you don't want a project, and aren't prepared to buy in, for example, Arizona or California and pay $25k to $30k, you're not going to have much luck. Rust free, non-project cars just aren't available at the $10k to $20k price point.
That's the way I see it too. Now of course there are those sellers whom have undisclosed rusted cars that want rust free money for them and those are the ones we need to weed out.

Charlie
Edmonds, WA
1969 Camaro SS Vert LS1 T56
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 15, 09:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Having just moved south from New England, I'll be completely surprised if you find what you're looking for up there.
It's possible that you find the right guy on the right day with the right car who's just decided to get rid of it and you're the first in line...but damned near impossible in my book.

What you describe is a finite set of cars, and I think most/all of them go bought awhile ago. They've either been bought and worked on, or they've gone over the edge into the rust pit of undriveable cars. Plenty of treasures in that pit, but you're not going to drive them anytime soon, and they're definitely not "Rust free drivers".

Good luck, and keep us posted Might reach out to Tony up in Seabrook, N.H. at Musclecar Metal. He has a pretty good bead on what's going on in the area, and he may know of someone who wants to get rid of their car.

Jim

Jim
Hanging on the Maine Coast...moved back North

1969 RS/SS, 383, 4spd, 373s, 12bolt, FatMat, Vintage Air - Super Red, and it's my first Camaro.
Engine pics

Radiator pics

Build album

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode