My '69 is in the body shop and my motor is apart in my shop, the restoration has began
Now, let's back up to the beginning. 30 years ago I was a 21 years old living at home on the farm. I was one year into working for corporate america programming on the mainframe (Al Gore had not yet invented the internet in 1985) during the day and helping my parents farm after work and on the weekends.
Local want adds in the newspaper (no CL yet) lists a red 4 speed camaro. My Dad and I drive into Madison to check it out. 4 speed with a console, vinyl top, v8 with 350 emblems on the fender. Just what I was looking for, so we drive it home.
That summer I pull the motor to paint it and put on a set of Blackjack alumicoat headers. Find some rally wheels at the Jefferson swap meet. Life is good.
Next summer a guy in Madison is parting out his '69 SS camaro. I buy his 3:31 posi and SS hood. Get the hood painted and install the rear end. Find steady GF, life is great.
In the following years comes marriage, buy house, daughter, build house, daughter school activities, college and aging parents. The camaro started getting less and less use. Some years I didn't even drive it. It lived in a machine shed at the farm. Over the years some surface rust has started behind the wheels and the lacquer paint is cracking.
Finally decided this year to either sell it and let someone else enjoy it, or bite the bullet and get it fixed up....I bit the bullet.
So after spending more hands on time with my camaro in the past couple months than I have in its entire life here's what I found out I have:
LOS January? build (rivet is punched by the numbers). 327 bored 30 over. Motor is out of a 1969 sedan assembled in Janesville. Muncie M20 from the '64-'64 time frame (7/8ths shaft) with a Hurst Competition plus shifter, lakewood scatter shield. Holly 600 dbl pumper carb into a Edlebrock C4B intake. High torque starter.
Here's my plan: New edlebrock EPS intake with Performer 600 ele choke carb. Putting the original exhaust manifolds on to stop the heat soak to the starter. Break open the Muncie for new gaskets and hopefully nothing else. The motor is currently opened and the heads are at the machine shop getting hardened seats and screw in studs along with new valves if needed.
The car is at the body shop getting patch panels put in the original metal behind the wheels along with a new windshield and new vinyl top. Will be painted in the original garnet red. I suppose I should drop the gas tank when I get the body back home just to see if there is a build sheet. I've got a lot of questions I'll be asking as I put everything back together, both from a basic functionality stand point and about the history of the car.
I've lurked around here for years trying to pick up info for the day I hopefully got the chance to refurbish the car. That day is now here!