Trollby's Ride - 1970 RS/SS - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Trollby's Ride - 1970 RS/SS

So back in 1981 I had a neighborhood person that loved to buy and work on muscle cars. He had a 1970 Chevelle SS, 1968 Corvette and a 1970 RS/SS Camaro.
His wife lost her job and they were expecting their first kid so she said he had to sell at least one car so the 1970 Camaro was the car he had just finished and was not his favorite car.
I made and offer and he sold me the car, I drove the car unit 1988 when it was put into storage due to being in military and not able to move multiple cars to every duty station.
Here is a picture of my wife and I back in 1987 or 1988 with the car and a few shot from where we lived in back then:

So after I got out of military we were busy trying to start new life and car sat in storage. Years went by and in 2012 my mothers new husband was a car buff and was working on his current project. He said I should sell him my Camaro, I laughed and said no I plan on restoring it soon. He said when his car was done we would start my Camaro. Long story short he had cancer hit then Issues from his Vietnam service and got really sick then passed away in 2014.

My mother did not want to keep paying for the shop he rented with full tools and equipment and she knew I had my car to restore. She handed me the keys and said if I pay the rent it was mine in November 2014.
The shop was a mess, lots of junk and stuff that needed to be cleaned up to make a working shop for me. It took 6 months and several trash cans full of junk removed.

May 2015 my son and I moved my Camaro to the shop and started work:

Here is what I have:
1970 Camaro SS with RS package
1970 350cid. (CNJ) 300HP
Accel coil and wires - Replaced ignition with electronic-2015
Edelbrock Street Master intake manifold
Holley 1850 600CFM 4BBL w/vacuum secondaries (chokes removed) Replaced with New Holley-2015
After-market Headers
11" clutch - Borg Warner
Muncie 4 speed (M21)
Hurst shift and Hurst linkage
12 bolt Posi rear-end (373:1)
14" Rally wheels
Front seats are 1978 Z28 seats
Bolt-in 4-point roll bar - Removed-2016

As we are tearing into the car now I am finding many cobble jobs and items that I never noticed or was too young to know better back in the 80's. I had done almost nothing to the car after I bought it since the previous owner had just done his own "Restore" just before I purchased the car.

The only major change I did was replace the clutch with a 11" Borg-Warner 3200 high-performance clutch (At least the name I remember it was called)

Some key issues is the guy I bought car from LOVED emblems and added extra ones to the Camaro. Biggest I noticed now was the extra "LT" chrome emblems on the vinyl top and on the rear of car. I always wondered why it had SS and LT on car. Found out the LT was not offered in 1970 and were just extra "Bling" he added to car.
The electrical wiring is really not done right, he messed with many switches and wiring to different things.
I am re-doing it all correctly.
Also he did the inside with household carpet, it did not age well and is stained since he used White carpet.
He also added a bolt-in 4-point roll bar, when I was young I thought it was cool, now it is removed since I need to replace the interior carpet.
He also did not like the stock "Low-Back" seats and replaced them with 1978 Z28 high-back bucket seats.

So that was long but saying hello

1970 RS/SS Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 07:11 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Re: Trollby's Ride - 1970 RS/SS

Welcome aboard! Great story and photos. Very cool that you've held onto the car all these years.

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 08:17 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Nice you've been able to keep the car. That first picture brings back memories of the 80s style (yeah, I'm from the same era). Welcome to the site!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 08:20 AM
Senior Tech
James

Cool car and story! Save that roll bar, especially if it's a Hooker Show Bar. Some people like those for day 2 restorations and they are hard to find.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 08:49 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Sonny

Garage

Great car and nice back story, impressed you were able to hold this one that long. Can't wait to see more pics.

1969 Z28 (Sold)
1970 Z28 (Sold)
1970 RS Z28 Camaro (Green)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

Pretty cool story. It's Great you hung on to it good luck and welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1969 Camaro 350 EFI 200r4 342 Posi
1987 WE4 Turbo Regal E85
2003 Sierra Stepside RCSB Belltech dropped

MY BUILD THREAD:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 04:44 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Really nice lookin' car! Welcome to TC. So have you decided what type of restoration you will be doing? Can tell that 1st pic was from the '80's - you have a keen resemblance to Sammy from The Wedding Singer. If you had posed up a limo - I would have been convinced
Sorry - just a friendly ice-breaker. Good luck with your project.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 16, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Trollby
Good history and glad you were able to keep her.
Enjoy the cruise and never look back.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 16, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Garage

At this point it is make the car road ready and have it to take to my Son's graduation in 2017.

I hope to get 3-4 years use out of it and then do a more complete restore (remove front end and everything else for repaint and engine rebuild)

The car was a great driver and I was bummed I could not take both my cars and cycles to my different duty stations but the newest car was my daily driver and was important for me to have that.

1970 RS/SS Camaro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode