67 project: summer goals - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 16, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Ryan

Garage
67 project: summer goals

Always wanting a car with substance growing up I scraped together and bought this 1967 Camaro in 2003, my senior year of high school. Started the initial work, however college, a career, and then blah blah... Needless to say life has finally given me a break and a little coin.

Camaro has moved multiple times but stayed in a garage. Over this summer I'll finally have about 10,000-12,000 to put towards it and 3 months straight of my own time. Really hoping to have it ready to go by October.

Any advice will be great.

Current goals for summer:

1. Paint and body work: going to go with gold and white to match the interior.
2. Brake conversion
3. Wheels
4. Possible suspension upgrade (budget friendly)

Will post more pictures based on advice and interest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4478.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	148241  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old May 11th, 16, 01:12 PM
Senior Tech
Brian

Garage
Re: 67 project: summer goals

Are you going to do the body and paint or have it done? Depending how crazy you get, a shop could wipe out your 10 grand quickly. As far as brake conversions, I assume you will put on front disc and power. There are a lot of good conversion kits you can buy and probably do it yourself. If you have no experience with brakes I would find someone who does to help you or pay to have it done professionally. (safety first)!! Just do some research as there are conversion kits that will not work with a 14" wheel. If you plan on running 15" or bigger than that won't be an issue. They do sell kits that say they fit 14" wheels, you just have to find them by doing your homework. Good luck with the car, it looks like you have a good one to start with.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 16, 05:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Kevin

That looks like a nice car to start with.
Best of luck with the build

My only advice, think about what you want to do with the car? (show , drive, whatever) That car almost looks clean enough to leave the body as is, do all the mechanicals (brakes, suspension, engine, etc.)...and enjoy it. Depending on your abilities (ie painting yourself or somewhere else), that could run into some time (and money) that you weren't planning for. There is no wrong answer here, just depends on your overall plans.
Would love to see more pics of the car

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 16, 06:40 AM
John

Garage

IMHO Your goals exceed your budget unless you have a shop connection.

Body and paint will eat $10K very quickly.

The other thing to watch is paint/body seem to take most people at least 6 month or more before they get it back from paint jail. If the car is stripped to bare metal you may also find rust damage that can add substantially to you body and paint cost.

Look at Right Stuff for your Brake Conversion and maybe Hotchkiss for Springs and sway bars. Depending on the condition of your suspension it may be prudent to do a rebuild with new bushings, tie rod ends, ball joints etc.

Plan very carefully and talk to other guys for 1st hand experience with shops.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old May 12th, 16, 07:27 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Gary

I agree; the side of the car presented in the photo looks good enough to leave the 'gold' color alone. If you want to change the black top to a white top, then that plus your wheels and tires, brake and suspension upgrades should be within your budget if you plan carefully.

Gary
69Z28-RS
Corvettes (5), Nomads (2), El Camino, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
1967 rs, new member, project, restoration advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode