Looking at a 68 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Looking at a 68

Hey Guys,

My wife and I have been searching on and off for a 67-69 camaro or corvette. She is partial to vettes and I am to camaros. I have had 5 or 6 third generations over the years but never a first gen.

In preparation of Carlisle GM nationals I started browsing again and came across a 1968 that is on craigslist in Ohio.

Basic details

-He has owned since mid 80's, parked in 89.
-It was a white 327, auto car, now red/black 327 4 speed (he painted in 86).
-Many new parts over the years from 06-now, tires, motor rebuilt, brakes ect
-Asking $18k BO

We are looking for something that could be a weekend cruiser for ice cream ect.

Anyone have any thoughts on the car? What should I watch out for?

On a side note if anyone is in the Dayton area that would be willing to look at the car for me I'd be happy to compensate you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 07:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Re: Looking at a 68

My thoughts on any 40 to 50 year old car without many many pictures of a recent documented professional restoration,
would be how much rust does it have.
How much work do I have to do, or pay someone to do on the drivetrain to make is rock solid reliable and able to comfortably take me to the ice cream store.

After I fixed all the issues and brought the car up to my expectations would it be worth starting with this particular $18,000 car?

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 09:09 AM Thread Starter

The main rust I am worried about is what is hiding under that original vinyl top. Something that has been through a professional restoration is too far out of my price range.

I probably should of put this under "whats it worth".

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 09:44 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer90 View Post
The main rust I am worried about is what is hiding under that original vinyl top. Something that has been through a professional restoration is too far out of my price range.

I probably should of put this under "whats it worth".
My point is, if you don't do a thorough inspection,you may end up with a car that is nowhere near worth the asking price.

If you post in what's it worth and want some prices that may be helpful, make sure you include many pictures of the car top to bottom,frame, floor, trunk, maybe under dash to see how many wire nuts are under there etc..

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 11:48 AM
Senior Tech
-

How about a link to the car? That way we can get a sense of what you are looking at.

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

This is the car.

https://dayton.craigslist.org/cto/5615698998.html
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 12:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

It definitely looks like it might be worth a closer look.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 12:49 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Quote:
Decided to let it go to a home where someone can enjoy it as I have.
last on the road 1989

IF I was considering this car.....I'd need some specific pics

Floors
Trunk
Under rockers
Sub-frame where body bolts are
Rear frame where leafs bolt up

Etc.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 16th, 16, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUG G View Post
last on the road 1989

IF I was considering this car.....I'd need some specific pics

Floors
Trunk
Under rockers
Sub-frame where body bolts are
Rear frame where leafs bolt up

Etc.
I believe he drove it from LA to Ohio in 89 and parked it.

I am in touch with the seller and he said he could provide any pictures when he gets back from vacation. I will make sure to ask for those areas.

He also has pictures of when he chemically stripped the car in 88 and painted it. One spot in the front fender was cut out and replaced.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

I've added a few pictures of the areas mentioned above. It looks like the tail pan around the lights where the quarter meets is rusty, as well as under the top. Any thoughts?

[/URL]

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 06:43 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

That looks an awful lot like a car I passed on 3 years ago from a place in Knightstown IN, from a dealer I think called Classic 500 or something like that. He was wanting 16 at the time for it. It looked good in pictures, but when I drove to see in person it was very, very rough, top show signs of rust under the vinly, underside was rough, missing bolts here and there, coat hanger exhaust etc.

The only difference was he said it had a 350 crate motor, but all other specs seem the same, 4 speed, 12 bolt etc. (Also the hurst shifter with boot was the same)

Not positive it's the same car, but sure looks like it.

It's about 2 hours from me, and if I wasn't so darn busy with my job, farming, getting my car and building done, I would volunteer to go inspect it for you, I just truly don't have the time right now, if your in no big hurry and are really interested in it and it doesn't sell, I could probably go take a look middle of next month.

But from your added pics and from my gut feeling, I think 18 is way too much, it's gonna need a lot of metal replaced from the looks of it.

1968 Camaro SS 396 M20 Posi
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 07:50 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

It might get you to the ice cream store a few times,after a new bungie cord hold down for the battery first,just to be safe.
But it looks like a lot of work if you want it nice one day. If you get it cheap have a nice set of tools, know how to and enjoy using them, maybe it's a car for you.

All the complete "driver" Camaros I've seen at shows and swap meets this year in the $15~$20k range need work, if you want a good body and a nice paint job, most need to be disassembled then sheet metal work, then a new drive train,then interior.......

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 08:43 AM
Senior Tech
-

Thanks for posting the link. Could you drive it for Ice cream? sure.
BUT you have rust under that vinyl top. This car should be priced more like 12k, and that is just based off the little I see. if I saw the car I might think less.
They made a ton of first gen Camaros, I would keep looking. If your budget is 20K, you could find a lot nicer car, IMO.
Just be patient.

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 23rd, 16, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, with the rust issues I'm seeing in only the pictures I think we will pass. I agree that it is priced high for the work it needs. I am not looking for something that most likely needs a roof skin ect. The search goes on. There was a pretty solid looking 68 by me over the weekend for $20k but sold in two days while I was away.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old Jun 29th, 16, 01:39 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Will

Greetings and welcome aboard. Permit me to give you some caveats that may or may not apply to the state in which you intend to register the car. My credentials in this area are over 30 years in law enforcement. Ask for a legible photo of the vin and a scanned copy of the title e mailed to you. If the VIN numbers don't match, walk away. If the title is in other than the sellers name, walk away. If he only has a bill of sale and no title, walk away. By my calculations there are 16 or 17 years of overdue registration perhaps also penalties. Depending on your state they may want to collect for all those years unless an annual non-op was paid. Here in California past due registration and penalties could be as high as $12,000. Make sure the transaction is conducted at your local DMV office. Any reluctance on the sellers part to comply, walk away. If your gut tells you to walk away, do so without second thinking it.

Those are your legal concerns. As far as the car goes if it is running and drive able it's maybe worth $5,000. Not running or driveablen$2,000. It's got rust in all the places they rust in and once you peel off body panels you are going to find more rust and parts to replace.

There are still a high number of affordable good condition Gen1s out there for $20,000 or less. I would keep looking for a currently registered driver and expect some rust in the valance panel behind the left lower rear window accompanies with trunk floor rust that may have already rusted all the way through. Accept that as normal and use it as a bargaining point. Best wishes and good luck. You will find one. They are out there. Will

Detective Lt. Will, Chief of Homicide/ Chief Deputy Coroner: RETIRED AFTER 32 years.

67 Camaro RS /327 -275 hp
Powerglide to 2:73 rear gears
Black vinyl over Ermine White
30,000 documented mile survivor
Second owner. P.O.P car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode