Hello again.... after 12 years in storage. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 05:19 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Hello again.... after 12 years in storage.

I was surprised my user name was still registered here!

I made a decision to stop working on the Camaro about 12 years ago. It was a difficult decision because it was my first car. Got it when I was 16 in 1992 for $2500. I put a lot of my heart and money (for a kid) into it, but just couldn't get it right. I was young, joined the military, moving around, had a young family, no garage, and I still couldn't justify sinking big dollars into this project. Many times I threatened to sell it, but thankfully, those around me said that I would always regret it. I begrudgingly listened and kept a cover over it in Dad's barn, which is now my barn. I did tinker with it from time to time, but would get frustrated and cover it up again.

I'm now in a position in my family life and careers that I can finally do what it takes to get it back on the road (I think!).

Here's what I have:
1969 Base Model Camaro stock suspension except for 2" spindle drop (horrible idea)
GM performance parts 350HO (advertised as 330hp)
Holley Street Avenger 625cfm carb (source of much frustration)
Mallory Unilite Distributor that burns up coils on the regular
A leaking TH350 3 speed

I went to the NSRA show in Louisville, KY this weekend and talked to a few venders about some engine and suspension kits. I got some inspiration and want to make some progress and purchases soon. I hope to learn from your experience and expertise.

Chris

1969 Yellow/black Std Coupe Camaro. GMPP Crate 330hp/350 + TH350 trans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 05:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Re: Hello again.... after 12 years in storage.

Welcome back Chris! You still on hercs? I retired in 2010 and miss the flying. Working as a A&P contractor now for the Navy here in Jacksonville on C-40s (737-700). What are your goals for the car? cruiser, track car, mix?

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
Welcome back Chris! You still on hercs? I retired in 2010 and miss the flying. Working as a A&P contractor now for the Navy here in Jacksonville on C-40s (737-700). What are your goals for the car? cruiser, track car, mix?
Yeah, still on H models here in KY. Also at SWA on the 737. It would be nice to be a JAX reservist flying 737 at both jobs, but I still love the old Herc. What was your AD background?

I want driveability and performance, not a show car. The best part of the NSRA Street Rod Nationals this weekend was watching the cars on the Streetkhana course. I realize I won't be able to touch most of those cars with what I have budgeted, but I want to get as close as I can. I also want plug and play as I don't have time to engineer all my parts to work together. For example, I'm leaning towards the RideTech coilover front and rear suspension system, and a complete Edelbrock engine package. I'm tempted by the EFI systems, but there sure seems to be a lot of issues from the reviews I've read. I'd also like to get rid of my TH350 trans, but not sure yet what direction to go 700R4, 200, 4l80e, etc. I've budgeted about 10K to upgrade the drivetrain and suspension. We'll see how that goes.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 06:39 AM
Senior Tech
ray

Welcome. Car looks nice after setting for so long.♠
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 07:58 AM
John

Garage

Based on your budget For suspension I would look at Ridedtech Street Grip ot Hotchkis TVS packages. You'll benefit also with larger 17" or 18" wheels and tires. That will burn up about $5k of your budget. If you want to stay auto I like the 700R4 or 200R4 the 4L80E requires an stand alone controller and tunnel mods to fit. The swap will cost around $2K all in.

That leaves $3k for the EFI swap and the misc stuff. (most issues have been guys not following instructions. Lol) I like the Holley or Fast with a Tanks Inc EFI tank and in tank fuel pump.

2017 Corvette ZO6 with ZO7 Option
66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 08:00 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Garage

Wow sure looks good for sitting that long, welcome back. Looks like you have a great start to build off from.

My '69 RS Primer driver project
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 08:28 AM
Senior Tech
-

Once you start driving the car more often if you have a small leak in your trans, it will probably go away once the gaskets swell back up. I have a 65 mustang and if it sits for more than a month the trans will leak a little. If it gets driven often doesn't leak at all.

If you are having issues with the carb, and it has been 12 years since you ran it, it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it. I would also flush all the gas and put in new. Also change the oil.

Distributor- you could go back with a stock unit and then put a petronix set up in it.

(These would all be pretty minimal cost wise.)

I would get the car operable first, to where it can be enjoyed, and then work on each item separately. This way you don't get burnt out or bogged down by many different projects at once, and you can enjoy the car more often. Also give you time to research and price out what you would lie to do.

Just my 2 cents

Looking for: Original spiral shocks- 3192477(front),3192851(rear)
-An original LOF soft ray windshield
-JIM EDELBROCK CHEVROLET items-Plymouth Michigan (1968-1970)
*looking for DZ block 19L503829 124379L503829
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 08:45 AM
Senior Tech
Lyle

When a car requires major work (rust repair for example) or the builder has big goals like a high end pro-tourer, then I understand diving in with an ambitious long term build. But for more modest projects I believe that we can stay more motivated by starting smaller and getting use of the car along the way. Down the road when all the small stuff is done if you have the passion for bigger projects then I believe that is the time to take them on after you've proven to yourself that you have the time (and commitment).

I love all the massive builds that guys spend 50 hours a week on for a few years or spend many tens of thousands doing an awesome build, but those really are special and not everyone is ready to tackle one. My $0.02
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Based on your budget For suspension I would look at Ridedtech Street Grip ot Hotchkis TVS packages. You'll benefit also with larger 17" or 18" wheels and tires. That will burn up about $5k of your budget. If you want to stay auto I like the 700R4 or 200R4 the 4L80E requires an stand alone controller and tunnel mods to fit. The swap will cost around $2K all in.

That leaves $3k for the EFI swap and the misc stuff. (most issues have been guys not following instructions. Lol) I like the Holley or Fast with a Tanks Inc EFI tank and in tank fuel pump.
Things have a way of adding up quick! I talked to the folks at the RideTech tent a couple days and they seem to have some great products. I'm not far from Jasper, IN and it would be nice to do business locally. I've been looking at the Hotchkis TVS Stage II also, but I'd really like to get rid of the leaf springs with the RideTech for not much more money. I didn't realize the 4L80E required a tunnel mod, I'll probably stay away from that. I've been trying to find some reviews of the new Holley Stealth EFI, but I suppose I can't find any because it's relatively new. Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLITT65 View Post
Once you start driving the car more often if you have a small leak in your trans, it will probably go away once the gaskets swell back up. I have a 65 mustang and if it sits for more than a month the trans will leak a little. If it gets driven often doesn't leak at all.

If you are having issues with the carb, and it has been 12 years since you ran it, it wouldn't hurt to rebuild it. I would also flush all the gas and put in new. Also change the oil.

Distributor- you could go back with a stock unit and then put a petronix set up in it.

(These would all be pretty minimal cost wise.)

I would get the car operable first, to where it can be enjoyed, and then work on each item separately. This way you don't get burnt out or bogged down by many different projects at once, and you can enjoy the car more often. Also give you time to research and price out what you would lie to do.

Just my 2 cents
I've got a crack in the trans cooler line in a place I can't get to without the trans coming out. Also, I think I damaged the seal when installing the torque convertor many years ago. I may end up pulling it.

A couple years ago, I took the car to an engine builder to try and get the carb correct. He called me the next day and told me to come over after he disassembled it (Holley Street Avenger). He said in his years of working on carbs, he'd never seen anything like it. The body of the carburetor inside was highly corroded and turned to powder when you touched it. I called Holley and gave them the serial number. They said the Chinese manufacturer had forgotten to add lead to the alloy mixture when molding the carb bodies and that this serial was recalled. They sent me a brand new one. Engine guy installed it, said he was having trouble with it but got it as close as he could. Drove it the next day and the electric choke suddenly stuck on, fouled the plugs and left me stuck in trafffic on the way home. Got it towed the rest of the way home and it's been parked since.

But you're right, I've got to get it running reliably before I move on to the "Nice to haves." I appreciate the thoughts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebat View Post
When a car requires major work (rust repair for example) or the builder has big goals like a high end pro-tourer, then I understand diving in with an ambitious long term build. But for more modest projects I believe that we can stay more motivated by starting smaller and getting use of the car along the way. Down the road when all the small stuff is done if you have the passion for bigger projects then I believe that is the time to take them on after you've proven to yourself that you have the time (and commitment).

I love all the massive builds that guys spend 50 hours a week on for a few years or spend many tens of thousands doing an awesome build, but those really are special and not everyone is ready to tackle one. My $0.02
I can definitely understand that. I've got two jobs, a small cattle and horse farm, and two teenagers who are into lots of activities. 50 hours a week definitely isn't happening! I'm trying to keep my wishlist limited to bolt-ons only, but one thing always seems to lead to another. I'm in no hurry, I've waited many years, I can wait more but I'd like to at least get a good start. Cheers!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 16, 05:42 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Chris - Welcome back to the garage, or barn as the case may be.

First off we never drop anyone's account so as long as your email on file continues to work you can always get back home to us.

Mine having sat 20 something years in my Mom's garage, I can relate to your situation. The where do I start quandary.

We never really remember past project "ah what the hell I'll just do this..." moments until we discover a spot on the garage floor or hear a new sound, or smell something foul. So reviving after sitting years is an art-form, but for the most part a lot of stuff on these cars heals themselves as mentioned as you driver her more often.

Concentrate on the major systems and stabilize them like the transmission leak. You are 120% right on keeping to the short wish list. Nice you got a new carb for the price of a phone call though. Wish that happened all the time.

Once she can come and go under her own power and not leave you in the weeds in the process you will suddenly find time for the smaller projects.

Well we all look forward to seeing your progress, maybe even start a build thread to track your progress and keep you motivated.

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Chris

Thanks, Brian. I just found the Build thread forum. I think I'll start one.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 02:36 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

WB Chris

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Aug 8th, 16, 03:56 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome back, Chris!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode