1968 and 1969 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 16, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Spencer

Thumbs up 1968 and 1969

Went to a car show and got inspired by a 1972 Porsche 911 to get in to restoring old cars. My ultimate goal would be to restore an old Porsche, but in the mean time I have access to a '68 Camaro and a '69 Camaro. They've been sitting out on a piece of property for a while now (15 years?). One in an open field, the other in a barn.

I am brand new to this. What should I expect to get them into running condition as far as cost and hours are concerned? Where do I start?

Thanks,

Spencer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 03:58 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: 1968 and 1969

Welcome! No one is going to be able to answer those questions without more info. It could be as simple and changing all the fluids, a good battery and gas, and hitting the key, or it could be a thorough overhaul of all the systems to get them to run/stop/drive safely. After 15 years sitting, I'm leaning toward the latter. Brakes and tires should be your first consideration. More than likely mice/chipmunks/critters have had their way with the wiring, too.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 04:43 AM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage

Welcome Spencer...photos would definitely help to answer some of your questions. Personally, I'd lean toward the barn find being somewhat protected from the environment. Not to dissuade you, but, restoration is not cheap so be ready for an eye opener. Shoot us some pics...

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 06:46 AM
Senior Tech
jim

welcome to tc from another tn resident what part tn u from
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Spencer,
Look at both and look thoroughly - over, around, and beneath, for rust issues of floorboards, rocker panels, frame structures, window areas, and subframe.
As said, it won't be cheap, I'm sure you know this since you have been working on Porsche's.
Take plenty of pictures for reference.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden enjoy your next chapter.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Spencer

I am in Memphis; the Camaros are in Oakland. You?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Spencer

Pictures are forthcoming. Thanks for the responses so far! To be clear, I have done zero work with Porsches; however, I did see a restored 911 at a car show recently that gave me the spark.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 01:48 PM
Senior Tech
Alex

Welcome!

What is your goal with these cars? Just to get them to drive on their own so you can flip them? Or to do a concourse restoration on them? Or somewhere in between? You could be looking at anywhere between $2-3K upwards of $30-40K, or double if there is allot of rust and it's a rare car with hard to find parts. People's definition of "running condition" like you mentioned varies considerably!

For as Porsches, check out the PelicanParts forum for what it takes to restore those. I used to be into P-cars years ago myself. Rennlist is a great P-car forum as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 6th, 16, 02:17 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Darin

Welcome.

If you have a shop or large garage space with lots of tools,and some experience using them it will help.
I told a friend before he bought an old 1960s muscle car to get his garage and tool$ setup while he's shopping for his car, he didn't. It didn't take him long to understand why I was telling him that, LOL.

It gets real real expensive if you don't do most of the work yourself.

If the barn car was somewhat prepared before storage,you may have a fairly easy job of it, but a 48 year old car sitting out in a field for over a decade without some rust repair or panel replacement would be a miracle. But it's still fun if you have the sickness, and the $.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode