Newbie on a 68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By otokoto

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Gil

Newbie on a 68 Camaro

Hello, just in the process of acquiring an totally original 1968 Camaro 327 Base, I would like to get some advise if I am making the right decision since it is just the Base Camaro and not even the RS. I've been wanting to own a Camaro for quite sometime and cannot find the right RS, so I think I will dive into this one since its all original. The only drawback for me was the transmission when shifting from Park to Drive or Reverse kind of having some slight jerking. Please advise me if I should go for it since I still have time to back out. I will welcome any opinion, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 07:34 PM
Senior Tech
Karl

Garage
Re: Newbie on a 68 Camaro

Hello Gill and welcome aboard. I can safely say we all started somewhere with these cars. Whether it was a Z, SS, RS, or base, there was a reason why we chose our first car. You need to decide if you will be truly happy with it. If it ain't what you want, look elsewhere or you'll be second guessing the choice. It took me 2 years to find what I wanted and I don't regret the wait. Good luck in whatever you decide!

Karl / VetteFreak
69 Camaro RS 350/350TH...Burgundy...711-Black Int/Houndstooth Seats
2007 Corvette Conv. LS-2/A6...Monterey Red/Black Top & Int
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 16, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Welcome Gill and as suggested, if you want one with the RS Appearance Pkg, then search for one.

If this one doesn't grab you, not met to be.
However it is the correct year-LOL

Jerking could be the idle is set too high
Normally 500-550 rpm when hot.
But automatics will jump a bit when selection of gear is chosen.

Good luck

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 16, 03:35 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Welcome to TC Gil. First of all you need to ask yourself if the price is right and what your plans are for the car - keep it original and drive it or make it your own. If the latter is your choice, you can easily turn it into an RS if you wanted and the conversion kits today work sooooo much nicer than the original set-up - just a thought. You could also throw in a 5 or 6 speed and the only jerking will be when you let that clutch fly Whatever you choice, good luck.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 16, 08:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage

Welcome aboard! I think it could depend on the price of this car, but if you feel you want something nicer, you might have to look around and be prepared to wait. I had to hunt several years to find an original 68 RS in a condition, color, and price I found acceptable. But I am also a numbers matching 'year accurate' kinda guy. My RS didn't come with a lot of options I wanted so I'm adding them with authentic 68 components. Sure, it's no longer "original", but without a build sheet or invoice you couldn't tell it from an all original 68.

'68 RS
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 16, 11:44 AM
Apprentice
JP

Garage

Welcome from a fellow Camaro newbie! So many factors determine if this is the right car for you. I was in a similar position a month ago searching for my car. I considered everything from fresh 427 Yenko clones to rusty original 6 cyl drivers. I wanted less of a project but for me it all came down to value. I settled on a very nice 68 RS from your state. The provenance and condition were stellar so the mechanical condition wasn't a big concern. I can also turn a wrench. It drove on the trailer and that was good enough for me. btw, The jerking in your target could be just low trans fluid.

1968 RS, CA Black Plate, Corovan Maroon, 327, manual trans, 18" Rallys, 245/40, 275/40, 42k mi.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 16, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Gil

Many thanks for all the infos, I think I will go for it even if its a Base model, as Pittspen24 mentioned, I can easily convert it to RS if I do so, and CordovanRS I will check on that low trans fluid, Thanks again guys in welcoming me to TC
VitaminC likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 16, 02:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by otokoto View Post
Many thanks for all the infos, I think I will go for it even if its a Base model, as Pittspen24 mentioned, I can easily convert it to RS if I do so, and CordovanRS I will check on that low trans fluid, Thanks again guys in welcoming me to TC
Best of luck to you and post some pictures of the new ride when you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode