Another lurker - first post - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Devin

Cool Another lurker - first post

To all,

Ive been lurking for a while and high time I introduced myself. I am in the Oklahoma City Area and have my 69 Camaro coupe since 1983. When I bought it, it had a 6cyl, 3spd standard tranny and 10 bolt/monoleaf. Those are long gone and replaced with a 454, Tunnel ram, 4spd Muncie, blow shield, clutch assy and 12 bolt posi 4:88/multileaf and jbolt traction bars (say old school). That was all many years ago and I had quite a fun time doing it all. I got to take it to the track a handful of times and ran mostly low 12s and a few 11.90s around 118mph. Getting into the 11s was with some help from the local racers good times Ill say.

Well then I got married and had kids and the Camaro just sat in the garage. Its pretty much as it was with a little rust but pretty sound. Early last year I cleaned her up, removed the spark plugs, sprayed WD40 in the plug holes for about a week, and was able to hand crank it. Nice! The gas tank was pretty gross and its now out. Anyone want one? I plan on replacing the entire fuel system and rebuilding the Holley 850 dbl pumper. I was about to order everything and thats when my 17yr old daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor (Craniopharyngioma). What a ride last summer was. We went through brain surgery and then proton radiation therapy every day all summer. That put everything on hold as my health insurance then denied coverage, then it was reviewed and came back partially covered, and then it was reviewed again and it came back fully covered. The blessing is that my daughter is expected to have no complications from all of this. The surgery did not need to disturb the brain as they went through one sinus. The Dr bills have started to subside now what a ride, not recommended. I ramble. Moving on in October my Dad passed (he was my pit crew and 3rd hand quite a bit). I am glad he got to see it at the track while I did some bracket racing. So now my plan (ha!) was delayed over a year and I hope to get the ole Camaro going in 2017. This forum seems to have quite the wisdom and I do plan on tapping it. The old school way was to cruise town Friday and Sat night and get to know the local gear heads, also Hot Rod and Car Craft magazine, also buying books about carburetors and distributors oh yeah and getting to know the local machine shop guys and auto parts guys too - that was how I learned what I know. Somewhere I have a How Holley Carburetors Work. But I am truly humbled by the knowledge in this discussion board and make a scouts honor promise to search the board before asking questions. Now that the Dr. bills are coming under control I plan on reviving this project and asking qs on this forum and hopefully post some answers. Anyway Happy New Year! thats my Welcome Wagon post!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Dec 31st, 16, 09:15 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brent

Garage
Re: Another lurker - first post

Welcome! Great news about your daughter, and good luck getting the Camaro back up and running!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 1st, 17, 04:54 AM
Kevin

Welcome! You fit right in here! A lot of us have had "life" interruptions, but glad to hear you daughter's cancer was caught and cured! (2 time survivor myself).

It helps to resurrect a car that is all still together, a lot of us have basket cases still.

Make sure you get some pics posted!

Kevin

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 03:20 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome to the site! Glad to hear the daughter is on the mend.... I can't imagine having to go through something like that.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 03:39 AM
Senior Tech
kevin

glad things are coming your way!
welcome to the forum
maybe you can get your daughter involved with the rebuild of your camaro
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome to the Club
Glad In reading Daughter is on the mend and you all have conquered it.

Yes, starting a hobby is mind relaxing and if Daughter joins in, all the better.
Medical bills suck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jan 2nd, 17, 05:35 AM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Rollercoaster ride for sure......Glad your Daughters doing good

Welcome to TC.

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
69 camaro, old school, welcome wagon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode