Hello everyone! How much HP is too much? - Page 2 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rusty

Re: Hello everyone! How much HP is too much?

Thanks for the welcome. Most of you seem to think it will not be too much HP. I don't know a lot of automatic transmission talk. What does it mean if someone has stall converter? 1971ls6 mentioned a 114 lsa and a power band to keep the wheels from spinning. What is that?

Also, will a rear end from a 327/210hp work with a 383/510hp?

Thank you guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 17, 06:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyC View Post
I'm new here. Hope to get some valuable info and make some new friends. I have a question, how much HP is too much for a cruiser? I am going to look at a 1968 Camaro to buy. The body, paint and interior looks nice in the photos and the engine looks gorgeous but the guy advertises it as "needs finishing". The engine is a brand new 383 stroker with 500hp (never been driven). The trans is a brand new TH350 Stage 2 Short Tail. Also has Hotchkis Sport Suspension 80015 TVS system for 1967-1969 Camaro and twin fan aluminum radiator and Flowtech headers. The engine and trans are in but the drive shaft is to short because he changed the trans. So he says it needs a drive shaft and the radiator installed and it will be ready to go.

My question is, after I put it all together is the 500hp going to be too much for driving around. He didn't say what size rear is in the car.

Thanks for any feedback,
Rusty
That is a very subjective question. To some a 500HP 383 might be considered mild. Others might think it is too radical. First off have you ever owned a high performance car?

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rusty

I have had a 1964 Fury 383 4 speed and a 1968 Firebird 400.

post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rusty

post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 04:35 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
That's good, you have some experience with older cars. If it does make 500HP it will have a fairly lumpy cam. If it has a stock converter you will need to change it. Power brakes may a bit of an issue at low speed in a parking lot. Your car should have an 8.2" rear. With a few aftermarket parts they can handle a bit of abuse. I have friends running 12.0's and little quicker with modified 8.2's.

Unfortunately, you can't test drive it but you can ask the owner for the following:
1. Cam specifications or manufacturer and part number.
2. Converter information. Diameter, manufacturer and stall range?
3. Rear end information. What gear ratio? Stock axles? Posi?

'69 Camaro - 429 SBC Dart Iron Eagle 9.325" block, Crower crank, Crower 6" billet rods, Ross pistons (10:1), Total Seal rings, AFR 245 heads, T&D steel body shaft rockers, Cloyes Timing set, custom ground 4-7 swap solid roller 274/286 @ .050" with .704" lift, Dart single plane, Holley Dominator EFI on E85, Injector Dynamics ID2000 Injectors, Stef's #1705R oil pan, F2 Procharger, Lemons 2" primary 4" collector, ATI 9" blower converter
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rusty

Doug G, I'm in Bel Air, MD
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rusty

Steve, It's going to take a few days to get those questions answered. If he knows the answers. I think the owner travels a lot. Everytime I try to set up an appointment to see the car he is not home. I'm sure the rear is the original that was in with the 327. I would bet it is a open stock axle. Am I allowed to tell you where you can find it on the computer? I don't want to get red flagged for doing something against the rules.

By the way, what is the stall range?
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 06:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Garage

Quote:
Steve, It's going to take a few days to get those questions answered. If he knows the answers. I think the owner travels a lot. Everytime I try to set up an appointment to see the car he is not home. I'm sure the rear is the original that was in with the 327. I would bet it is a open stock axle. Am I allowed to tell you where you can find it on the computer? I don't want to get red flagged for doing something against the rules.

By the way, what is the stall range?
Others have posted links to cars they are interested in purchasing. I don't believe it is a problem. High performance converters usually list the approximate stall or range, like 2,400 or 2,800-3,200.

Also, welcome to the site!

Last edited by Steve69SS396; Feb 20th, 17 at 06:36 PM.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 06:46 PM
Tech Team
Alex

I would say much more than 650ft/lb tq is too much for the street. Stop this stupid HP non-sense, it's a street car the OP is talking about.

I have 560ft/lb tq @ 3,000rpm, and I'll tell you what, unless you have a *proper* and I mean properly setup aftermarket suspension and run drag radials, even that is too much on the street.

IF you have a professionally sorted aftermarket suspension (that means hours after hours of road testing and tuning) for putting down the power with some great drag radials, then I would still say 650-700ft/lb tq is the most you would ever want with todays tech.

If you wanna act like a clown and smoke your tires and have the FU money to piss off on said tires, then the sky is the limit.
VitaminC likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Pontiac Firebird
w/BP 461ci stroker kit, 670 heads & XE274H cam. Primer black w/black interior.
1992 Pontiac Trans Am GTA w/SLP Performance Package. Dark Jade Grey Metallic, grey leather, T-Tops.
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 07:40 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

If you love the sound of a wild cam and like knowing the power is there, but don't intend on using it, 500 hp isn't a big deal. I run just over 600 hp, 575 torque with a 5 speed manual and yes, it idles fast and rough and doesn't have much vacuum at idle, but it's as tame as any street car (well maybe not quite) until you lay on the pedal. If you have no experience with that much power and intend to use it anyway, that could be dangerous. If you want a nice calm cruiser that doesn't shake or buck, you might want to go to a milder cam and tune it down a little. Was the 510 hp on an engine dyno? or an assumed rating? I realize that torque is what gets you down the track, but if you're over 500 hp, I'd be surprised if you're under 450 lbs. ft of torque, so you've got enough to be dangerous if you're not careful.
RustyC likes this.
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rusty

The seller said he has a video of the dyno. That's all I know.
post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 17, 09:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

The bigger problem i see is not enough gears! Th350 if it has too much rear gear it will be no fun cruising for long

Scott from NJ. Stay thirsty, my friends

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Feather-light suspension, Konis just couldn't hold
I'm so glad I took a look inside your showroom doors

TC Member #13
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 17, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Rusty

Steve, This is the web site of the dyno video for the engine. Copy and paste.
post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 17, 03:20 PM
John

Garage

The engine dyno result is 419 hp 447 torque

Don't know where the OP came up with the 500 hp for this engine.

Maybe I'm confused?
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 17, 03:21 PM
Banned
Chet

Quote:
I'm new here. Hope to get some valuable info and make some new friends. I have a question, how much HP is too much for a cruiser? I am going to look at a 1968 Camaro to buy. The body, paint and interior looks nice in the photos and the engine looks gorgeous but the guy advertises it as "needs finishing". The engine is a brand new 383 stroker with 500hp (never been driven). The trans is a brand new TH350 Stage 2 Short Tail. Also has Hotchkis Sport Suspension 80015 TVS system for 1967-1969 Camaro and twin fan aluminum radiator and Flowtech headers. The engine and trans are in but the drive shaft is to short because he changed the trans. So he says it needs a drive shaft and the radiator installed and it will be ready to go.

My question is, after I put it all together is the 500hp going to be too much for driving around. He didn't say what size rear is in the car.

Thanks for any feedback,
Rusty
500 at the crank, livable. 500 at rear wheels, stupid for a street car. Especially a cruiser. What's he done to the frame to handle that? Subframe connectors so it doesn't twist? I assume he didn't do all the suspension add-ons without doing something to tie the subframes together. Check it. What rear end is in it? 8.2 will not last. The transmission case is the weak point of a TH350 when exposed to high power levels.

383's are torque motors. Torque is what moves you on the street. What heads are on this engine? Port size? Sounds like a cam that is too hairy for a street 383. Need to find out what cam is in it. Mild cams and 383's make for very happy and satisfied owners. Especially ones that are just cruising their car.
RustyC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode