New guy from VA w/ a '69 - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

New guy from VA w/ a '69

New guy from Virginia.

Recently picked up a 69 to play around with. Not real sure which direction I will go with it yet. For Now, I am just trying to figure out exactly what I bought.

The car is a bit of an odd mix of parts at the moment. Z/28 badges with a 327, Turbo 350, 12 bolt (4:11 posi, w/c clip eliminators and wilwood drag brake set,,,, but drums on the front). Monoleaf springs sitting in multileaf perches with wood as a spacer. Power steering box, but no pump or hoses. Comfort weave front buckets, but standard rear seat.

Just here to do some research before I start buying parts to get it where I can drive it. Going to try and sort out the mechanical stuff on it before I tear into it for paint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 17, 07:02 PM
Senior Tech
Mike

Garage
Re: New guy from VA w/ a '69

Welcome and good luck. There is a wealth of information available here to take advantage of. Enjoy the new car...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 17, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

Thanks for the welcome.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 17, 06:53 AM
Kevin

Welcome Barry!

so 1st, what does the trim tag say and the VIN? Camaro VIN, Cowl Tag, and other Numbers Decoding

Next you would have to get the casting and stamped numbers from the driveline components 1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding

Based on the clues, I think you have a base 327, probably a Powerglide and 10 bolt rear originally, with manual drums and manual steering. That version was pretty common. The 327 might be original, the trans and rear were likely swapped.

buying and installing multileafs should be straight forward. And getting discs up front. Sort out the steering too, easiest is to put the manual box back in for now. An upgrade to power steering is a bit more work.

Luck!

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 17, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Barry

Thanks Kevin.

To be honest none of that stuff was really important to me. I knew this thing was a pieced together pile before I bought it.

It started out as a base fathom green, w/ green standard interior, supposedly 307, column shift powerglide. It's nothing close to that now.

It's an earlier 327, double hump heads 461 casting, TH350 & 12 bolt of unknown origin.

Full interior was said to have come out of a rally sport. Deluxe front and rear door panels, 7K tach, console gauges, woodgrain dash. Rear seat is standard upholstrey, missing the shifter plate. No headliner.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 17, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage
Welcome to the Cruise,
Reads like a good project
I'm sure you will replace the wood spacers with alum plate.
Enjoy your journey and start a logbook.
You would be amazed what we can't remember later in life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode