Looking for 1985 1C5 "California" IROCZs - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 27th, 18, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Charley

Looking for 1985 1C5 "California" IROCZs

I've got a registry of 1985 "California" IROCZs. If you happen to own one it would have an SPID list of RPOs in the center console including B4Z, Z28, 1C5 and Z5V. I have threads on 3 other sites looking for information on these cars. Thirdgen, World Wide Camaro Club, and Camaro Source. I would post the links here but I don't have enough posts on this site to be able to do that. So if your interested search them out on the internet. I would like all the information you might have.
Thanks,
Charley

Here are the main features that came on these cars.

The (1C5) rpo code was the California Promotional Package on dealer invoices for an IROCZ that GM produced only for California dealerships to sell. You couldn't directly order one with the options you wanted as you could on other models. Assembly line workers were involved in picking the options they would want or not want on these cars along with mangement and engineers at the Van Nuys, California assembly plant.

It came deleted of all striping, IROCZ logos, and (TPI) logos which you couldn't delete until the 1988 models as a (DX3) stripe delete rpo code. It had no hood louvers, or rear spoiler, items which you've never been able to delete on an IROCZ. It did have all the IROCZ ground effects, 16" Aluminum wheels, (LB9) TPI 215 hp engine, came only with a 700 R4 transmission, fog lights, all the IROCZ suspension parts and 3.42 rear gears which I think weren't available in 1985 on the standard Z28. It was known as the wolf in sheep's clothing since it looked like a stock camaro, yet had all the IROCZ options. It is a very rare model that came in only 2 colors, red and black. I've read that 502 were produced with a variety of options.

That is why I'd like to find out what the rpo (Z5V) might be. I've only physically seen 1 other 1985 (1C5) "California" IROC Z28 other than mine, but have located 22 total vehicle's Vin#s that still exist or did at one time and were either parted out or wrecked. One car is featured on camarosource.ca. and that is the only site that has the (1C5) rpo listed as being a real GM option of all the rpo sites I've looked at on line. I've also put a picture of my car's SPID code on that web site. That web site along with World Wide Camaro Club is also trying to find out what the rpo (Z5V) might be.

I have been looking for this RPO (Z5V) used during 1985 on these cars for 11 years now. In the past an rpo with a (Z), then a number, then another letter were performance packages, deletion packages, and GM specialty built cars such as, taxi, police, military, and what else? My 1985 (1C5) "California" IROCZ as they are called is red in color, with original paint, a black deluxe interior, and T-tops. It is the only completely original 1C5 I know of to date. It is also in mint, excellent condition. I have the car's dealer invoice, window sticker, and history. I'd like to talk to those that have seen other "California" IROC Z28s. If you know of any magazine articles or books on the "California" IROCZ would you please post the information.

Last edited by 1C5 California IROCZ 1985; Jan 27th, 18 at 08:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 08:11 AM
Senior Tech
James

Re: Looking for 1985 1C5 "California" IROCZs

Welcome. Sounds like a pretty interesting car. Can you post some pictures and share the window sticker?

I didn't see any of those options in the Camaro white book, but they must be documented some where. I thought by 1985 GM had realized their error in not keeping good production records.

From the Camaro Performers article:
Quote:
The California IROC was a special (one year only) 1985 IROC promoted as a special edition and only available in California. The 1C5 designation comes from the RPO code associated with the $75 credit on the Monroney/window sticker due to the absence of the IROC decals, IROC badges, the louvered IROC hood, and rear spoiler. Other than these items, they were IROC-Zs. The only IROC-Z lettering was on the wheel center caps. Out of 180,018 85 Camaros built, a total of 502 California IROCs were produced. They were available in two colors: black and red (supposedly 101 black and 401 red). Two were made for promotion (one in each color) and 500 were made for public consumption. All of them were produced at the Van Nuys GM plant. There are many urban legends about why these IROCs were built. While doing research, I found that the GM archives office had minimal information on these cars. Only the people involved with designing/optioning the California IROCs at the plant know the real history.
I can totally see why someone might want IROC Z performance without all the decals and other flair. I just wonder why it was limited to California?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAIROCscan.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	203298  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 28th, 18, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Charley

I'll post some pictures and the SPID with the RPOs when my son can come over and give me a hand with it. I always seem to mess it up.

As far as being in the Camaro White Book it isn't in the 1967-2002 issue because the person who wrote it, Mike Antonick wasn't even aware that it existed. He got all his information from the GM Chevrolet archives for the book and it wasn't found within the GM archives. Mike Antonick is also the author of the Corvette Black Book of which he has written many editions.

I brought it to his attention about this IROCZ before his new book was written. I supplied all the documention on the (1C5) 1985 IROCZs that I had and he included the RPO (1C5) in this newest edition around 2009 or 2010 as the "California" IROCZ option. He was nice enough to list me as a contributor to information along with others in the beginning of this book.

Another RPO (Z5V) is on all SPID sheets of these cars, but not listed on the Monroney/window stickers as is the RPO (1C5) detailing what it was and it's cost. So you won't find RPO (Z5V) in the Camaro White Book since we haven't found documentation as to what it truly was in the building of the car, so the search go on.

I tried to find his newest Camaro White Book on Amazon and can't hardly believe what somebody is selling it for! It is for $1,827.93 and another for $1,501.27 in used condition by two sellers! I have to look into this and see why the prices are so ridiculous! I'm glad Mike Antonick the author of it sent me 2 new unused copies of it that are autographed along with a letter of thanks when it was published about 8 or 9 years ago.

Try this link to that book and I hope it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...7169083&sr=1-1

Last edited by 1C5 California IROCZ 1985; Jan 29th, 18 at 06:48 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 29th, 18, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Charley

I copied this from the Welcome Wagon section and put it in the thirdgen specific section hoping more guys would see it there.

Welcome. Sounds like a pretty interesting car. Can you post some pictures and share the window sticker?

I didn't see any of those options in the Camaro white book, but they must be documented some where. I thought by 1985 GM had realized their error in not keeping good production records.

From the Camaro Performers article:
Quote:
The California IROC was a special (one year only) 1985 IROC promoted as a special edition and only available in California. The 1C5 designation comes from the RPO code associated with the $75 credit on the Monroney/window sticker due to the absence of the IROC decals, IROC badges, the louvered IROC hood, and rear spoiler. Other than these items, they were IROC-Zs. The only IROC-Z lettering was on the wheel center caps. Out of 180,018 85 Camaros built, a total of 502 California IROCs were produced. They were available in two colors: black and red (supposedly 101 black and 401 red). Two were made for promotion (one in each color) and 500 were made for public consumption. All of them were produced at the Van Nuys GM plant. There are many urban legends about why these IROCs were built. While doing research, I found that the GM archives office had minimal information on these cars. Only the people involved with designing/optioning the California IROCs at the plant know the real history.
I can totally see why someone might want IROC Z performance without all the decals and other flair. I just wonder why it was limited to California?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name: CAIROCscan.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 83.7 KB
ID: 203298

I'll post some pictures and the SPID with the RPOs when my son can come over and give me a hand with it. I always seem to mess it up.

As far as being in the Camaro White Book it isn't in the 1967-2002 issue because the person who wrote it, Mike Antonick wasn't even aware that it existed. He got all his information from the GM Chevrolet archives for the book and it wasn't found within the GM archives. Mike Antonick is also the author of the Corvette Black Book of which he has written many editions.

I brought it to his attention about this IROCZ before his new book was written. I supplied all the documention on the (1C5) 1985 IROCZs that I had and he included the RPO (1C5) in this newest edition around 2009 or 2010 as the "California" IROCZ option. He was nice enough to list me as a contributor to information along with others in the beginning of this book.

Another RPO (Z5V) is on all SPID sheets of these cars, but not listed on the Monroney/window stickers as is the RPO (1C5) detailing what it was and it's cost. So you won't find RPO (Z5V) in the Camaro White Book since we haven't found documentation as to what it truly was in the building of the car, so the search go on.

I tried to find his newest Camaro White Book on Amazon and can't hardly believe what somebody is selling it for! It is for $1,827.93 and another for $1,501.27 in used condition by two sellers! I have to look into this and see why the prices are so ridiculous! I'm glad he sent me 2 new unused copies of it that are autographed along with a letter of thanks when it was published about 8 or 9 years ago.

Try this link to that book and I hope it works.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...7169083&sr=1-1

Here is a front and back view of my car with the black 1C5 in the Chevrolet ad between it.
https://www.google.com/search?q=1c5+...RcoPzeJ3JsrOM:

Last edited by 1C5 California IROCZ 1985; Jan 30th, 18 at 08:03 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 20th, 18, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Charley

The link to the picture of my car isn't working above. Try this one on thirdgen.org post #91
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/hist...-code-z5v.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode