Loved '67-'69 Camaros as an '80s teen. Should I buy one? - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

2Likes
  • 2 Post By Vega

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 18, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dino

Loved '67-'69 Camaros as an '80s teen. Should I buy one?

Which subform is most appropriate for posting "What do you think of this car for sale?"

Bucket list to own one. Even if I just owned it for a year or two. Bucket list.
The market has changed. Originality is not the same as it was. Mods do not kill price anymore.
Even mileage is mostly unknown. For a 20 year old car, mileage matters. For a 50 years old car, not so much.

I don't know how to price these car.
I would like to get to know a few "market experts" here.
I know you're out there....the guys who obsessively watch Ebay, CL ads and know the ballpark prices by looking at an ad.
I am like this for certain Euro cars, but not Gen1 Camaro.

Anyone up for letting me PM them some ads over the coming weeks, until I get a sense myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 18, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Dino

Re: Loved '67-'69 Camaros as an '80s teen. Should I buy one?

Can someone point me to a Gen1 buyers guide?
What questions to ask. Trouble spots (rust, etc)
For value, what matters, what doesn't (repaint, non-matching #'s motor, different size motor than original, etc)
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 18, 07:30 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Gawd Dino, you are looking for the magic bullet. If theres a buyers guide i never saw it. Camaros rust, everywhere. Regarding the rest, you need to decide what you want and what you are willing to pay for.
Investment grade cars are out there if thats what you want. I think your header says NYC so you know thats where cars go to dissolve and you are in the wrong part of the country.

This is my opinion and others differ but i think the day of the garden variety numbers matching cars appreciating is coming to an end or already has. Most of the guys who care are older buggers like me and if we have one its for sale. Our kids could care less. ( a friend has an original 66 black on black on black vette that he figures he lost 25k on in the last year or so because the market shifted. But he flipped a late roush mustang with mecum for a profit this year so go figure). TV has distorted expectations.

Anyway, the market for these cars is all over the map and you need to know what you want. If you buy someone elses build you will save money. If you find yourself near a mecum auction, i haver never been to a barrett but they may be the same, troll the sale early, it starts a day or so before it shows up on tv. You might find something solid that doesnt have the tv flash thats not out of line.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 11th, 18, 07:45 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlankCheck View Post
Which subform is most appropriate for posting "What do you think of this car for sale?"

Bucket list to own one. Even if I just owned it for a year or two. Bucket list.
The market has changed. Originality is not the same as it was. Mods do not kill price anymore.
Even mileage is mostly unknown. For a 20 year old car, mileage matters. For a 50 years old car, not so much.

I don't know how to price these car.
I would like to get to know a few "market experts" here.
I know you're out there....the guys who obsessively watch Ebay, CL ads and know the ballpark prices by looking at an ad.
I am like this for certain Euro cars, but not Gen1 Camaro.

Anyone up for letting me PM them some ads over the coming weeks, until I get a sense myself.
The "What's it Worth" forum is the ideal place to post cars you're interested in. Just provide a link with pictures, then set back and we'll let it rip !

It's better that way as you'll get many different perspectives and you can decide what matters most to you.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 18, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

As said, Dino, go look and post pictures on WIW forum.
Meantime, you should look everywhere for available Camaros' and you decide what your configuration will be.
Obviously, you are looking for a good driver, no project and 'No assembly required' Camaro.
Open door, put key in, start, select gear, and drive.
Think of the options you would like, color, engine choice, trans choice, etc., and make a list of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices.
View the availability and learn - go from there.
Hopefully, you have a dartboard for making these commend decisions.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 12th, 18, 07:44 AM
John

Garage

I would strongly suggest you drive one 1st. Make sure you really want one before you buy one.

Many people have a fantasy about what they’re getting into.

Then establish generally what you want and how you intend to use the car.

A good gauge of value is ebay completed auctions.
bigblockragtop and BlankCheck like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode