Whats the deal with dealers? - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Whats the deal with dealers?

Hi
I have been lurking about reading, researching, and looking.
I'm looking for a "nice" (meaning not a project) 67-68 camaro perferably a Convertible,
would prefer a BB but would consider an SS350, at very least a RS trimmed vehicle,
my main requirement is factory air,,tilt wheel is a real plus as well. I'm looking at about the 50K-60K range.

My question is this:
what are these cars all about i see on Ebay and elsewhere that are in showrooms such as
"Gateway Classic cars", "USA Hot Cars" and many others,, it seems you can "order up"
just about any classic car your heart desires nowadays and the price is generally in the ballpark of mid 30's or 40's. A price where a guy of average means could take out a loan if needed and cruise away in the classic of your youth. I just came off of 5 yrs of being involved in WWII Jeep restorations and am now going down the muscle car road, (yeah one of those guys who doesnt really know what he wants)
I know what goes into a restoration, the search for parts, the research on what was correct,, how can these "dealerships" off what seems a nice car at this price? do these use lots of repro parts?
bondo?? I am leary of them and probably rightly so,,I just dont know why? can somone explain how these outfits operate?
Thanks in advance!

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

1967 RS Convertible Factory A/C, PS, PB PG 327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 12:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steven

Re: Whats the deal with dealers?

if it aint a brand new car, i will never buy from a dealer.

that pretty much sums it up for me
Niblet likes this.

69 Frost Green Camaro
LS3 with TSP stage 3 cam
Tremec TKO 600
Moser 12 bolt rear with ford ends 3.73:1 Eaton tru trac differential
Speedtech pro touring subframe
Ridetech rear 4-Link

Follow my journey here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 12:42 PM
Apprentice
Tim

Gateway and Streetside, for instance, are consignors. I wouldn't call them dealers at all. They have become a great medium to get buyers and sellers together. The sellers really approve the selling prices Streetside helps them price it fairly and competitively (for the most part). If I was a seller, I would seriously consider using them because of their nationwide coverage and detailed pictures and videos.

I still wouldn't buy over the phone. I'd want to check the vehicle out myself. In fact, I did. Bought this out of the Tampa Streetside.

GONE

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

Well I gotta be frank,,I'm just scared to death of not being able to spot crappy body work
the options, parts and build data I can verify but being able to spot poor body-workmanship
is my weakness

1967 RS/SS Coupe, Factory A/C, 2nd owner, original paint -Taho Turquoise 3 Spd on the floor, bench seat, fold down rear seat

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 02:13 PM
Team Member
Darin

I think if you get the car on a lift or crawl under it a bit,
you should be able to tell the difference between a $20k-30k car and an honestly valued $50k-60k car pretty easily.
Niblet likes this.

1968 Butternut Coupe,
421" Dart SHP block
TKO 600 RR
Dutchman 9" w/3.70 US Gear Lightning r&p
Speedtech torque arm,Ridetech HQ coilovers
Global West arms
Budnik wheels

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 02:17 PM
John

Garage

Most if not all classic car dealers sell substandard cars at greatly inflated prices. Some sell grossly misreprented cars at what would at 1st glance seem to be a fair price.

I was at streetside 2 weeks ago as itís close to my Florida property. Most of the cars are not very nice at all for what their asking and the few nice cars they had were overpriced by at least $20

Gateway the same. Smokey Mountain traders ... well all I call say is do a google search.

My #1 personal rule when buying a classic is never from a dealer.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 04:58 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

The last six jobs I've repaired were butchered by other shops, or backyard hobbyists with little knowledge of the industry on a professional level. One nightmare was sold by a dealer. Repairing mistakes is costly. Find a car you like and have it inspected by a qualified body restoration tech. Best is to find a car that includes all the detailed photos from bare metal to paint. Many cars are caved and paved and look pretty, but are a disaster under shiny paint. Those hacked cars are even at the big auctions.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 16th, 18, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

I was thinking the same thing,,thanks for the advice fellas

post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 04:27 AM
Apprentice
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Most if not all classic car dealers sell substandard cars at greatly inflated prices. Some sell grossly misreprented cars at what would at 1st glance seem to be a fair price.

I was at streetside 2 weeks ago as itís close to my Florida property. Most of the cars are not very nice at all for what their asking and the few nice cars they had were overpriced by at least $20

Gateway the same. Smokey Mountain traders ... well all I call say is do a google search.

My #1 personal rule when buying a classic is never from a dealer.
And you think you can a better car from an independent seller? Your logic is? Streetside has a lighted lift, the ability to test drive, allow independent appraisers to check over cars. The prices aren't firm. If you are a legitimate buyer and they have a car you are looking for, why not look into it. They aren't a DEALER.

GONE
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 04:57 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin View Post
And you think you can a better car from an independent seller? Your logic is? Streetside has a lighted lift, the ability to test drive, allow independent appraisers to check over cars. The prices aren't firm. If you are a legitimate buyer and they have a car you are looking for, why not look into it. They aren't a DEALER.
Streetside is a DEALER. Iíve been there twice in the last 6 months and my observation both times were the same. Most of the cars are average at best and price 20-25% higher then similar or better quality cars that can be purchased private party.

Check my sig. I know I can do better from an independent seller. Whatís not in mysig are another 1/2 dozen 1st Gens Iíve helped my friends find and purchase.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 05:53 AM
Apprentice
Tim

I ran a new car dealership. Streetside is not a dealer like a Ford dealership or Southern Motors. A dealer actually owns the cars they sell. Streetside doesn't. They are a consignor. They have a dealer license in order to process the owners/sellers paperwork and process it through the tag office.

To say they misrepresent cars is absurd. The "sales reps" could give a rip if you buy or not. They aren't commissioned employees. If a car the are consigning meets your expectations, you can make an offer that you feel you want to pay. Drop cash on the desk and they will present the offer to the owner. The owner is going to say yes, no or counter.

They'll be way more honest than your typical private seller that will invariably be hiding something or not be completely honest. Private sellers are no different than dealership car salesmen. People would lie and withhold information about their trade ins and all the time.

Because you've sold a handful of cars over the years means what. Nothing to me. I've bought and sold more than a 100 cars/trucks over the years that I owned. What does that have to do with it. Not a thing.

GONE
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 08:02 AM
Senior Tech
Lyle

I'm sure that people do lie and withhold information about their trade ins all the time. BUT a Dealer is in the business of seeing through that and figuring it out. I'm not saying that it is right, just that I expect that a competent dealer is fully capable of managing the situation. On the other hand a dealer misrepresenting a vehicle and hiding its true condition is not the same thing at all. New cars are sold with warranties to protect consumers, used cars aren't so the proper inspection prior to purchase is extremely important and anything that an unscrupulous dealer does that is intended to mislead is very different than some Joe and his trade in.
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 08:43 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

In these time when information and value to the reasonbly knowlegable is a google query away how does a gateway or streetside fit in? With a little trepidation i will use John as an example. John builds a car. At around the two week mark he takes off for a free senior morning coffee at McD's and some guy falls all over him in a successful attempt to buy Johns car. John knows what its worth. The guy obviously knows what its worth. How does gateway or streetside fit in? Or any dealer for that matter? If a segment of the buying public is informed a dealer can either only sell to the uniformed or upsell their product if they are going to stay in business. In the consignment world they can blind beat down the seller also. You are correct that consignment shops arent exactly dealers. Perhaps they dont rise to that level.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 12:41 PM
John

Garage

Classic Car Dealers are DEALERS. Whether they buy and sell or consign.

If you buy a car from any of them the title will have their named dealership as the transfering party even if itís a consignment car. Same with auction houses like Barrett Jackson and Mecum. This is an absolute fact. I have researched it and asked several dealers. Why? Because in Nevada we pay no sales tax if we buy private party. If we buy from a dealer we pay the state 8.25%. Everyone single one advised me their name would berecordeed in the title as the seller. So right off the bat Iím paying another $3300 on a $40k

Most of them like Streetside also charge transfer/Doc fees etc.

When I say misrepresented I have personally observed the majority of the cars fall short of the online descriptions to outright lies by some of the dealers like Smokey Mountian.

Business 101 - You can always buy for less if you cut out the middleman. In the case of classic cars the dealers or consignors are the middlemen.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 18, 04:15 PM Thread Starter
Team Member
Tim

I like this discussion,,I agree with all that is said,,,I would like to buy from a private party.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode