First time buyer looking for some knowledge - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 18, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mario

First time buyer looking for some knowledge

Hi, Iím looking into getting my first 69 Camaro in hopefully a couple months. Itís been a dream car since I can remember. Iíve been trying to do my research and plan to take my time. I know I want a manual transmission, something restored with hopefully some upgrades. Iíd like to hear your pros and cons beetween the different models SS, RS etc. I do have a budget but would like to make a smart investment. What are some things I should look for in a car.? and what are some things I should look out for, and parts I should inspect.? Iíd also like to hear your thoughts on a car Iív been watching, it looks like something very close to what I want besides the color. Thank you for any input.

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...505649562.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 03:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage
Re: First time buyer looking for some knowledge

IMO if you are looking for an investment usually budget does not come into play, but find yourself a nice SS, RS or combo of both original car as they will hold their value and only increase. A Z-28 or even a Yenko would be at the top of the food chain if you could find one, but again not on a budget. When buying cars that are modded, it becomes a matter of finding a buyer that likes your tastes enough to buy the car at most likely a value that you have way more into. The big problem in finding one is that there are fake tags out there so you need to learn to read the tag to an extent to see if what you are buying is legit. If you need help post up pics of the car and the cowl tag.
On the other hand, if you just want a nice car to have fun with get whatever you want as long as you are not buying a cave and pave car. Do your research or bring someone who knows what he is looking at with you to look at a car.
Smitty68 likes this.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
post #3 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 03:34 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

An RS or SS model will come with a premium. Not a bad thing, but you need to be sure they are a true RS or SS before paying that premium. Also, especially the SS would have to be numbers matching to warrant the premium. Unless you really know these cars and know how to tell if the stampings are real or restamped, best to get detailed pictures of the car and post them here for the experts to look at. An SS model would have came with a V8, so the third digit of the VIN must be a 4. If it is a 3, the car was originally a L6 car, so it couldn't be an SS. Tons of other things to look for as well, but that should be your first step. Most Camaros out there aren't what the seller claims, so do your homework. If you are wanting to customize your car to your tastes, I wouldn't worry about finding a numbers matching car, just a good, clean car that you won't be afraid to change anything on. Buying one already restored is a good way to go as typically the seller has way more in the car than it is worth, but you have to be really careful that the work done is right, and not just thrown together with a quick paint job to look nice for a quick sale. There's been several guys around here that have bought what they thought was a nice car just to get it home and after looking it over real good, they have been thoroughly disappointed.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

post #4 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 04:59 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

No really pro's and con's between RS and SS.
IMO some RS owners may have wanted an SS.
I feel the RS front end and lower side trim just looks better.
The car you posted looks pretty nice except for that I feel the price is high. It sounds like a quality build but...it's got Z/28 emblems and stripes. The seller may be somewhat honest in his description but is presenting a faked Z/28.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #5 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 05:13 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Many things wrong with that car. Your biggest concern is the quality of bodywork. The last six cars I've done were hacked by other shops or the owner. Repairing someone's butchery is costly.
Everett#2390, BULLITT65 and rgwiz like this.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 05:41 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Many things wrong with that car. Your biggest concern is the quality of bodywork. The last six cars I've done were hacked by other shops or the owner. Repairing someone's butchery is costly.
Totally agree 100x's concerning the body work. RS vs SS shouldn't be your concern if you find a rust free (southwest?) car. Investment wise yes, RS/SS cars will be a better investment but if the car has shoddy body repair you'll be in the red for years to come.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #7 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 06:01 AM
John

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauron67MM View Post
Other than the Z28 badging and the locker what's so bad about the car that would rule out a closer look?

It's not advertised as a #s car or a Z28

My feeling is that it was probably a race car but if body and paint check out it could be a fair deal.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #8 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 06:36 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post
Other than the Z28 badging and the locker what's so bad about the car that would rule out a closer look?

My feeling is that it was probably a race car but if body and paint check out it could be a fair deal.
After a second cup of coffee, I agree with John, at 30k (or less) it's a good one to check out in person. Bring along a body guy. If you bring it home remove the Z emblems and you'll have a nice investment regardless of SS or RS.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #9 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 08:34 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vega$69 View Post

Nothing horrible or bad per se. The OP is new and may not know what is incorrect. Wrong door panel/seat combo, grille surround should be body color, grille should be silver: Exterior Related - Camaro FAQ, Misalignment of door/fender, incorrect shifter, wrong steering wheel. The black fender structure (near hood hinge0 should be body color, is a shortcut and sometimes indicative of poorly done bodywork. They did put a fair amount of money in the car. If it is rock solid and repairs were done correctly it's worth a look. Not many people document the paint process.
Need to verify the VIN, hiddens, and TT.

Call for restoration and custom paint scheduling:
post #10 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 11:06 AM
Apprentice
Tom

A lot of really good advice in this thread. One thing is for sure when looking one of these cars, you have to remind yourself that it's a want not a need (maybe it's a need haha) and don't make an emotional purchase. Take your time and do your homework and you will find a solid example. Paintwork is big, make sure you bring a magnet as well to inspect problems areas. Make sure there isn't a ton of plastic in the car.

Happy shopping.
post #11 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Good luck, nice Camaro, nice wheels, too much shiny stuff in engine compartment.
Yes, $30K

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #12 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Mario

Great info everyone, Iíd like to add like mentioned, I am new to all this, Iím trying to get a better eye to spot the differences in model, and trim, I do like the front end of the RS, that would be the headlight covers correct? Also Iím having a hard time spotting the lower side trim. Can I ask what is the SS/RS combo.?
post #13 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 18, 09:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Garage

As always, there's lots of good advice found here and in the forum in general. The way I see it, there are two main category choices; Original and Restomod. Lets just say that an Original is just that... if the cowl plate says its a SS, RS, Z28 thats a great start. Just have to hope that the motor, trans, rear, and trim are all correct. OTH, those cars can get expensive. If somewhere along the way a motor or trans was replaced, that could affect the price.

A restomod can sometimes be a better _buy_ meaning its had lots of stuff replaced, perhaps with better upgrades. It won't necessarily be a number's matching original, but it all depends what works for you and your budget. Personally, I'm in the restomod category because I want a car that that out handles an original, one that also gets a double-take at cruise nights and shows. Prices for Resto's can be all over the place depending on whats been done to it.

The Craigslist car you suggested is a restomod. Many restomods will feature trim items like Z/28 or SS badging, thats a matter of personal taste. Many people will call these cars a "clone" or "tribute" car. A Z/28 clone would have the badging on the front fender, it would have a cowl hood, bumperettes in the rear, a factory tach, a 12-bolt rear, and probably a lot more that others could add. The RS option was dirt cheap (under $100) when these cars were new, could be had on any model IIRC, featured the hideaway headlights, different tail lights with backup lights mounted under the bumper. When you're dealing with a restomod/clone/tribute car its nice to have trim details as correct as possible, but hey... its your ride and don't worry about the critics. The car is worth a look... but it would be worthwhile to have somebody very familiar with these cars along with you to look at it, look under it if you yourself are not. Nothing scary about that car except a "locker" rear. Hopefully, he just meant it was a positraction rear and not a welded-up locked rear. Ask if he has receipts, pictures of the restoration, and full details of the motor build and who built it.

I drove from Massachusetts to Maryland to look at a Z/28 that looked good in pix and videos, and I knew it wasn't the original motor. I brought my BIL bc he has quite a bit of experience in the bodywork side of things. When we got there, and saw it close up and personal it was a disaster. Oil leaking underneath from motor, trans, rear... rotted lower fenders, the car was originally hugger orange and had been painted black... and the black was worn through in a couple places showing the orange (not even primer). It drove/ran like crap... I couldn't wait to leave... told the owner that at half his asking price I still wasn't convinced it was worth the hassle.

Good luck with your search. If you need someone with expertise to go and look at a car, you can ask if someone in the forum is local to the area and willing to go look at the car. Buy the guy a nice dinner, give him a prepaid CC or something like that.
rgwiz, Smitty68 and 68Tiger like this.

'69 LeMans Blue Coupe, White Interior, 030" over 454, Super T10 4-Speed, Holley 4150, Pertronix Ignition
CompCams XS274S, 781 Oval Port Heads, PYPES Full 3" SS Exhaust, Hooker Comp Headers, Wilwood Calipers/MC
JGC Steering Box, Helix Uppers/Lowers, ProForged BJs, SpeedHut Gauges, MOMO Steering Wheel, Budnik 17" Wheels
post #14 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 18, 03:20 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Dom

Garage

Just something to consider. In my opinion, do not overlook or rule out cars that have been restored 10, 20 + years ago. If the restoration work was shoddy your most likely going to see it. Usually but not always these cars are considered driver quality and can be purchased at fair market value. From what I've seen and experienced a car restored correctly and taken care of will last and look good for many years afterwards. The key is to first educate yourself then decide what you want. Be patient, don't settle for less and ask these guy's for opinions before you purchase. Believe it or not luck will play a bigger role in the search than you can imagine, sooo....best of luck to you!

1969 Camaro RS, 327ci, TH350 Automatic, Richmond 3:55 12 Bolt Posi, Norwood 11C build date. Recipient of December 2017 Team Camaro ROTM.
post #15 of 69 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 18, 03:39 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Greg

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keemaca View Post
Great info everyone, Iíd like to add like mentioned, I am new to all this, Iím trying to get a better eye to spot the differences in model, and trim, I do like the front end of the RS, that would be the headlight covers correct? Also Iím having a hard time spotting the lower side trim. Can I ask what is the SS/RS combo.?
There are lots of technical differences and options for every model car - body moldings, trim options, interior options etc. For arguments sake, I will give you the quick start-up guide version. The SS(Super Sport) version was the top of the line model with the big motor, trans, posi rear and optioned for all the bells and whistles - still has the standard front end. The RS(Rally-Sport) model(next model down from the SS) had the hidden headlights in the front and different trim/badging. The RS/SS is simply a SS car with the RS option package added to it. There is a lot more to it and i'm sure someone will post up a link.

'68 Camaro with RS conversion
Moser 9" with 4:11
Martz Chassis 4-link and Front Sub-frame
Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed
572 BB - CM Engines
Wilwood 6 piston front and 4 piston rear disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode