Thoughts on this trim tag? - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brent

Thoughts on this trim tag?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4348.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	215129Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4349.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	215137

I know it has been off the car just wondering peoples opinions on it. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 02:51 PM
Senior Tech
Russ

Re: Thoughts on this trim tag?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent396 View Post
Attachment 215129Attachment 215137

I know it has been off the car just wondering peoples opinions on it. Thank you in advance.

The tag experts will probably want the VIN to provide feedback, a picture of it would help. If you're thinking of buying this vehicle, I'd also be concerned about what that body filler on the cowl line above the tag means. Might be a hot mess hidden under there, among other known problematic spots. There are also hidden partial VINs stamped on the firewall that should match the VIN tag at the front of the driver side door jamb near the interior light switch. Then there are the drivetrain stamps, if claimed to be original.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes L48 View Post
The tag experts will probably want the VIN to provide feedback, a picture of it would help. If you're thinking of buying this vehicle, I'd also be concerned about what that body filler on the cowl line above the tag means. Might be a hot mess hidden under there, among other known problematic spots. There are also hidden partial VINs stamped on the firewall that should match the VIN tag at the front of the driver side door jamb near the interior light switch. Then there are the drivetrain stamps, if claimed to be original.

I do not have a vin picture at the moment.
Vin is 124377N198147

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 04:18 PM
Senior Tech
Al

Brent, If you're thinking about buying that car RUN. Like Russ said bondo on the firewall isn't good.

Al

my 67' build thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 04:25 PM
____

Garage
Send a message via MSN to DOUG G

Just for the simple fact of the tag being removed (though "looks" real) it could be from another car ?

Then, bondo in the firewall....only one reason IMO

68 Camaro~LSx ~all motor
1.54 60'--6.95 @ 98.45 660'--10.96 @ 121.53
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 06:06 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes L48 View Post
I'd also be concerned about what that body filler on the cowl line above the tag means. Might be a hot mess hidden under there, among other known problematic spots.
What he said.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old May 18th, 18, 07:18 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Steve

Good chance that tag is off this car. Kinda wondering whats holding it on now.

67RSSS......owned since 69. A basket case for most of it.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old May 19th, 18, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brent

Thanks for the replyís guy. If this should be moved to tag team please fell free.

Overall the car seems pretty solid. Restored about 10 years ago. Appears to be holding up well.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 06:37 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

There is a line between restored and painted. Nothing in the picture makes me think restored. Tape on wires, squirters missing, hoses just left hanging, poorly executed filler job, and what looks like a spray bomb paint job. I would expect the rest of the car is not as solid as it may look. You have to wonder why the firewall\ cowl had filler. Rust? Crash? If it had rust up there, it has much much more than is visible to you. No attention to detail was paid on that "restoration".

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
There is a line between restored and painted. Nothing in the picture makes me think restored. Tape on wires, squirters missing, hoses just left hanging, poorly executed filler job, and what looks like a spray bomb paint job. I would expect the rest of the car is not as solid as it may look. You have to wonder why the firewall\ cowl had filler. Rust? Crash? If it had rust up there, it has much much more than is visible to you. No attention to detail was paid on that "restoration".

I really appreciate everyoneís knowledge here. For the money I can afford to spend what some of you guys can afford to spend. Iím 30 years old and love driving the 1st gens and 70-72 Chevelles. Been around Chevy my entire life. I know at 20K Iím not getting a perfect car by any means. Just want a fun driver to cruise and lay some rubber with. Didnít think someone would try and fake a 67 350/PG car but wanted the experts to check in.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 06:48 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent396 View Post
Thanks for the replyís guy. If this should be moved to tag team please fell free.

Overall the car seems pretty solid. Restored about 10 years ago. Appears to be holding up well.

Hi Brent and know what your feeling as many of us have gone thru that at sometime in youth. Please be very careful with your money. That car from the little that can be seen is a wreck and no way was it ever restored. My gosh, the firewall, booster and just about everything looks like possibly a paint job and spray bomb with little being done correctly. Many times things seem good due to price and good deals do come up but many a person looking to score a Gen I at a price they can afford end up with a disaster. From what I can see I'd totally skip this car, learn as much as you can and find someone who knows bodywork and can review a car for issues.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old May 20th, 18, 07:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
keith

No one here is trying to bash anyone. Just giving advice on what we have learned over the years. I paid $15,500 for my car in 2009. It was a decent looking car. I drove it around for almost a year. I now have over $60,000 in it. Mine is not a rest mod, but looks pretty stock. I did all of my work myself except shooting the color, so I saved a ton of money . just buyer beware is pretty much what we are saying. Learn from our mistakes, or misfortune.

X-77 keith
1969 x-77 Z/28 orange/ white stripes, named by my daughter "Clementine ", M-22 close ratio, 4:10 12 bolt, CE 302. Hugger orange with white stripes. White standard interior. Restoration complete May 2018
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice
Brent

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-77 keith View Post
No one here is trying to bash anyone. Just giving advice on what we have learned over the years. I paid $15,500 for my car in 2009. It was a decent looking car. I drove it around for almost a year. I now have over $60,000 in it. Mine is not a rest mod, but looks pretty stock. I did all of my work myself except shooting the color, so I saved a ton of money . just buyer beware is pretty much what we are saying. Learn from our mistakes, or misfortune.

Oh I know that. Heck I wish I could afford a dry survivor or a fresh rotisserie!

I know any car at my price range is going to need work. Itís a 100% guarantee.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old May 21st, 18, 07:18 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Interesting photos. I learn a lot from this website.

My car's cowl panel was rusted a little. The area above my trim tag was not rusted. Maybe a patch panel was installed to replace the rusted metal and plastic filler covered the seam?

Most cars, including mine, will first rust under the windshield and then later, along the bottom of the cowl panel.
[IMG]cowl 8 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode