'68 Firebird Owner - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

2Likes
  • 1 Post By RustyOldBird
  • 1 Post By BlueRibbon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 18, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
John

'68 Firebird Owner

I've always wanted a first gen Camaro and not too long ago decided that a Firebird wouldn't be a bad option if the right car came along. Long story short, I ended up with a '68 Firebird that's pretty rusty. The previous owner said she just needed a little love. Turns out he hid most of the rusty mess under a layer of fiberglass and bondo. She was a project car when I bought her and I'm up for the challenge. I just didn't realize how bad of shape she was in until I started digging into her. Pretty much all the sheet metal is going to need to be replaced. I currently have most of the floor out and am starting to look at removing the firewall. Finding more rust along the way...

Anyway, I found a lot of great information here so I thought I'd see if there was any interest in the build from here and how open this site was to Firebirds versus Camaros. There aren't a lot of Firebird sites that I've found that are active. I'll start a build thread if there's interest.

Day 1 pics:

She looks more like this today:

wireboy355 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 18, 02:45 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Re: '68 Firebird Owner

Welcome John - We love our cousin the Firebird as well as we do our Camaro's so you are in good company here. There are quite a few Firebird owners here and in the build threads. I for one look forward to seeing your progress.

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 04:22 AM
Team Member
John

Count me in, love the first gen Firebirds as much as Camaros. They have so much in common, I can learn from both. I will follow the build.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 09:42 AM
Senior Tech
Steve

PY Online Forums. This is a great site for Pontiac/Firebirds.

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

My first car was a rusty Green 68 Firebird so count me in!

Kevin

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 11:20 AM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

Once you find tp_smith's Firebird build thread on here, you will feel pretty good about your project! Rust fears him!

That vintage picture of Kevin in his Firebird looks like he was a long-haired eight year old when he got his car!
sleepsinshed likes this.

68 Camaro Convertible Turbo Thrift 250 Powerglide
63 Pontiac Catalina 389 Roto Hydromatic
84 Chrysler Lebaron Convertible

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 12:41 PM
Senior Tech
Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRibbon View Post
That vintage picture of Kevin in his Firebird looks like he was a long-haired eight year old when he got his car!

Lol, that was actually a friend who was sitting on the floor. The front of the Firebird had recently gotten acquainted with the back of a Continental (and my head got acquainted with Mr. Windshield). The Firebird came out of it with a crushed front end, bent frame, and 20lbs less rust (I came out of it with a headache and a hard lesson learned). The picture was taken while it was being parted out (I was an idiot). Had I been able to see into the future I would have kept the hood tach, fold-down rear seat and other goodies. All I have left of the car is a few emblems.

Kevin

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 01:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

See my barn find,My New Project - 1969 Firebird 400

1969 Z28

1969 Firebird 400

My new project for 2010 DONE/ Sold.

2002 Camaro SS LE/SLP
67 Nova SS 327, M20, 3.73
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepsinshed View Post
My first car was a rusty Green 68 Firebird so count me in!
Interestingly enough, we found traces of that green on top of the rockers. Pretty sure that’s the original color of my car. The trim tag is gone due to the previous owner so I’ll never know for sure.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
John

Thanks for the welcome and encouragement! I started a build thread yesterday but it has to be approved before it will show up I guess. Looking forward to sharing and getting feedback from the group.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Jul 30th, 18, 01:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Patrick

Green is cool. I bought a Firebird because I like the tail lights. When I finish that is all anybody is going to see of my car.

[IMG]FBBD 26 by Patrick Smith, on Flickr[/IMG]

Patrick
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 11th, 18, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
John

I definitely think I came to the right place! I love seeing other people's posts on dealing with the same things I'm dealing with or will have to deal with.

Does anybody know what it takes to get a build thread approved? I started one a couple weeks ago but it said it had to be approved before it would show up. Either it hasn't been approved yet or I did something wrong; not sure which.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode