first Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

first Camaro

Hey fellas, I've been reading posts here for a while, trying to get educated before I buy my first Camaro.

I've narrowed down my search to a '69 Z28 (clone) and a '68 SS. They are very comparable in condition. the Z has a 302, TH700 automatic and a 12 bolt. The SS has a 396, TH350 (3 speed), 12 bolt with posi and 4.10 (or 4.11?).

Both were frame off restorations a few years ago.

The Z is slightly better built in terms of final finish and alignments. I like the 700r4 trans for the overdrive.

The SS has one or two very minor alignment issues on passenger door and hood. I noticed them, but can live with them. I think I'd want to change the differential gearing and/or the trans. I'd have to hire both of these jobs out.

Both drove well, sound great and look fantastic. I'll only use this as a second for weekend, local drives. Probably wouldn't get out on the highway much at all.

Any advice, or additional considerations before I pick one?

Thanks for any input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 04:06 PM
Senior Tech
mike

Re: first Camaro

Test drive both if you have not done so already. Ask the owner to open it up with you in the car to see how they perform and what you like better.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Alamo, and yes, test drive both and go the one you like.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 07:31 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

It sounds like you have already driven both cars. I guess if it was me and I liked both cars it would come down to price. If you need to put more money into the 68 SS then will it still be less than the 69 Z clone? Another thing to consider is if the 68 Is a real SS or not and if the drive train is all original to the car. If it is then it will hold is value better than the 69. One last thing if the 69 has a real DZ 302 and his its VIN stamped on the block it could be worth some money if the owner of the original car is looking for it. You could always drop in 383 stroker to replace it. Post some pics of both cars if you have them. There are people on this site that are very observant and they could give you pros and cons on each car. Good luck with your selection.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 18, 07:51 PM
John

Garage

Sounds like the 69 is better shape and has 700R4

Paying shops to change things can get pricey. The panel fit on the 68 may be an indication of other issues. You can live with it you say now but it may start bugging you later. And if you leave it and decide down the road to sell it will hurt value.

66 Chevelle Protour LS3/525(SOLD AT Mecum 2018)
69 SS396 Cortez Silver(SOLD)
69 Z28(Sold)
69 Pro Tour - LS3/T56
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(SOLD)
69 Pro Tour - LS7/T56 (SOLD)

69 Z28/RS Tribute355/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 RS Clone 427/TH400 (SOLD)
67 RSZZ502/5 Speed (SOLD)
69 Camaro 406 SBC/TH400 (SOLD)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 18, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks for all the great input. From what I know, both are tributes, but the 68 may have started as an RS. The 68 is my preferred body style and color. 69 is my least favorite and it's in my least favorite color. Both are priced the same and fairly. The 69 is a better buy, but I just don't think I'd be happy with it over the other. I'll post some pics shortly.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 18, 04:28 PM
Senior Tech
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamocitySS View Post
.............. The 69 is a better buy, but I just don't think I'd be happy with it over the other.........
I think you have already made up your mind.

Z282NV

1969 Camaro
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 18, 06:36 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brad

Follow your heart, and get the 68. Have no regrets! Post pics.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Sep 4th, 18, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Okay, I went ahead with the '68. It turned out to be an SBC 350 engine. It has 350 emblems too, so I'm not sure why it was thought to be a BB. Wasn't an issue for me, though.

It was born in LA in Oct 68. Originally Ermine White with a red interior. Resto paint job is le mans blue with white z stripes. very well done with a proper clear coat. Interior is black with a blue dash. Pretty much a stock restoration. It has RS grille/headlights and trim.

Great condition all around. As I had mentioned, the passenger door is hard to close fully and that turned out to be a window alignment issue. Hood needs to be dropped down in the back a few mm to line up better. I'm having these fitments done along with looking at changing the gears on the 12 bolt. I'd like to gear it up to 3.55.

Runs fantastic and is a real delight to drive. I forgot what it was like to have to drive the vehicle!

Seller gave me a folder of receipts from the restoration which was completed ten years ago in May.

I'm really pleased that I found the body style and color I wanted, and that it is in such great condition. Aside from a few small things; good to go. I'll share pics when I have permission on the site.

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode