68 Camaro - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By KevinW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

68 Camaro

Hi All,

I have a 68 SS 4 speed that I'm restoring. I'm having trouble getting my reverse lights working. I'm trying to find out where the switch is that triggers them. I'm also not sure where the wires for this circuit are run. The Lamps are new but I loose the circuit when it leave the trunk. Can someone point me in the right direction for a good starting point or possibly a wiring diagram? I appreciate any help.

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 06:58 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Garage
Re: 68 Camaro

Welcome aboard!

Do you have a center console? I'm no expert but I thought the backup switch was in the console. If you download the AIM, it has wiring diagrams and just about everything you need to know.

Downloadable AIM's and some service manuals

'68 RS
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 08:47 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
steve

I thought the 68s have a switch mounted on the transmission activated by the reverse arm of the shift linkage. There should be a harness plug in low on the firewall that connects to the switch harness

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 12th, 18, 09:07 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

All First Gen manual trans had the switch mounted on the trans as Steve described. See M20 in the AIM. Here's a pic showing where the wires go through the firewall....http://camaros.org/images/pages/opti...all_speedo.jpg

Welcome aboard. Correct year !

EDIT; Just seen these pics of Chick's 68Z. The second one shows the wire harness leading down to the switch.... https://www.camaros.net/forums/1783087875-post23.html

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........

Last edited by Garfields Maro; Sep 12th, 18 at 09:22 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 04:43 AM
Kevin

Quote:
All First Gen manual trans had the switch mounted on the trans as Steve described.
Oops!, I know 68s had the switch at the trans, probably 67s too. But 69s had a reverse linkage (backdrive) which rotated part of the steering column to turn on the reverse lights and to locate a "wheel" for the column lock. You have to put car in reverse to put the IGN key in "lock" and be able to remove the key. All part of anti-theft designs in 69.

The backdrive was lost early on when headers are installed, and you lose the reverse lights and locking shifter. Now that Z owners are going back to stock, a original 4-speed backdrive system is worth big bucks.
Garfields Maro likes this.

Kevin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 04:59 AM
Team Member
Ray

Garage

Welcome and good luck the the 68.
The second picture does show the back up switch and wiring with the plug in at the firewall male plug. You can get all that's needed online. However, let's hope all is good with the rest of the wiring back to the trunk and lights.

'68 rs/SS 350 M-21 posi
numbers matching
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 06:09 AM
Senior Tech
Kevin

It's not clear what trans/shifter you have. On my 68 with a Muncie trans and a Hurst shifter I did this.

Kevin

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 13th, 18, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Joe, to the Club and correct year as stated, I just had to say this.
The answer is mentioned. Te switch mounts on side cover and actuated by a rod from the reverse lever on the tailshaft.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 14th, 18, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thank you everyone for the info, going to try to find the switch this weekend. I didn't see anything on the transmission but the picture of the firewall look's a bit familiar. I think that I saw it but didn't know what it was.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Sep 15th, 18, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

This may help - OE reverse light switch from AIM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rev Lights.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	221467  

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode