Calgary Camaro Enthusiast - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 12th, 18, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Thumbs up Calgary Camaro Enthusiast

Good morning,
My name is Eldon and I'm a Camarohaulic. I recently acquired a 1968 Camaro Coupe. It's got a 350, powerglide, and 10 bold rearend on monoleaf springs. She needs new floor patches, trunk floor, and outer rockers. I want to upgrade to a Tremec 5 speed and a 4 link rear suspension. I have never built a car before, but I have always wanted to. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Look my project up on Youtube (1968 Camaro Project #1), and tell me what you think. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 03:54 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Calgary Camaro Enthusiast

Welcome to the site, Eldon!

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 04:24 AM
Senior Tech
Al

Welcome! Before you start spending lots of money, get some opinions here from the knowledgeable folks on the cost of building a project car or not.

Mostly Camaros and FINALLY a Double Nickel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 13th, 18, 06:59 AM
R66
Senior Tech
Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow69RSZ View Post
Welcome! Before you start spending lots of money, get some opinions here from the knowledgeable folks on the cost of building a project car or not.
Welcome Eldon,

I agree, you can quickly get upside down in $$$ with a rusty car. If your rockers and pans are rusted you may get into the frame rails, inner fenders, rear quarter, and etc. Paint is no longer cheap.
You can do the resto if you know how to weld and have a good amount of cash. The repro sheet metal is not easy to work with. You always have to have a first experience and you may be a natural at it, so I am not trying to discourage you. I have only done 3 Camaros and am still learning the right way to do things.
If time and money are not a concern, give it a try. Most of the time, guys get tired of working on them after a year or so and sell them in pieces for a little of nothing.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 11th, 19, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am still working in the tear down and finding more rust. It's really not terrible. The quarters and outer wheel houses are good. My timeline is 3 or 4 years and $20k budget. Once I get the subframe off and the rear suspension removed, I'll be able to formulate a plan to replace the floors, frame rails, rockers.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Feb 2nd, 19, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Eldon

So far tear down has been going well. Lots of rusted nuts and cuss words. I love it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode