1968 Camaro Front Seat Belt - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

1968 Camaro Front Seat Belt

I have been trying to post this information about the front seat belts in my Camaro. The ones located in my car are completely different than any photos I have seen in your posted photos. The ones I have are located attached to the headliner and then stretched back and forth to have a tucked out of the way feature when entering or existing the vehicle. Also, these belts look as if they have not been used much and in fact, I have never used them. On my Camaro the belt retractor is towards the door with the clip being located toward the middle of the car. The lap belt above the door has the same end as what the belt retractor has that is towards the doors. Did my Camaro leave the factory with another belt clip that is missing that would work with the shoulder harness or are these two belt ends somehow someway supposed to be able to be connected to work together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 10:10 AM
Senior Tech
Ed

Re: 1968 Camaro Front Seat Belt

Read THIS.

Ed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ed B. (but you can call me Bert!)
CRG -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks Ed! Yes I saw this before and it is one of the main reasons I decided to go through what turned out to be a very tedious process of signing into and becoming a member! I was unable to sign in through Google and tried repeatedly but to no avail. I then switched to Microsoft edge and signed right up. Go figure?! I really became interested when I saw the main members were asking for more help about anyone that had a 1967, or as in my case, an early 1968 built prior to January 1968, that had more information about cars in existence that may have that feature. I thought I might have a feature in my Camaro that could help in providing research information about the rare front seat belt option. Thanks for responding!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 10:29 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkendall View Post
I have been trying to post this information about the front seat belts in my Camaro. The ones located in my car are completely different than any photos I have seen in your posted photos. The ones I have are located attached to the headliner and then stretched back and forth to have a tucked out of the way feature when entering or existing the vehicle. Also, these belts look as if they have not been used much and in fact, I have never used them. On my Camaro the belt retractor is towards the door with the clip being located toward the middle of the car. The lap belt above the door has the same end as what the belt retractor has that is towards the doors. Did my Camaro leave the factory with another belt clip that is missing that would work with the shoulder harness or are these two belt ends somehow someway supposed to be able to be connected to work together?
Welcome aboard Michael! Ed gave u great area to obtain your info so check that out. A quick note is to check the label on the belts in question and note date code
and model number. They match up to each other meaning what is used for lap belt (the two pcs) have the same model # and what is attached in roof line and itís counterpart have the same model # but different from the lap belt model number.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Chick, thanks for the clarification. I will go and look, take some photos to compare, and post results back here. Thanks for the help!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 17th, 19, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]Team Camaro Tech and Chick I have taken photos and done research provided by all the great information on the website. Many thanks to all who have helped put this together. My photos show all three rear seat belts were produced in the 51st week of 1967 for my 1968 Camaro. Also, the front lap belt clip end shows as being produced in the 51st week of 1967. My front seat belts show they were produced the 3rd week of 1968. Knowing full well this is a possibly a correct build unless someone tells me I am wrong and shows me why, this is not the reason why I am writing. I have photos that show the clip hanging from the head rail not the buckle! That's why I joined this forum in the first place. Everything I have researched shows me my clip on the head rail is correct. Looking at CRG's photos and information shows me it may be wrong but in all reality having the clip over the door works better than having a buckle to deal with at the location shown in CRG's pictures. In all reality I really am just trying to help the research. On one of the shoulder belt photos the patch says, "SHOULDER BELT MUST NOT BE USED WITHOUT LAP BELT". Therefore, I must assume my car is missing the matching buckles that would attach to the shoulder belt clip ends into the lap belt ends. Those ends on my car would have been mounted into the floor boards with the other front lap belt ends. I am only wanting to help your research.

Unfortunately I am unable to load photos at this point in time. My seat belts were made by Irving. The front lap shoulder belts are 1968, # 277, 51-A-67. The rear seat belts are #231, 51-A-67. The front seat belts are #237, 3-E-68.

I might be able to send the photos by email if you think it's necessary. I definitely wanted you to see how the front shoulder belt clip ends are attached to the head rail and then nicely stored out of the way when not in use. I tried sending this on the advanced section also which did not work either. So sorry.

Got my photo's to upload thanks to my son for coming over, have all belt and clips and more picture if needed. If you can't see or open them please contact me.

Last edited by michaelkendall; Feb 18th, 19 at 05:01 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 09:35 AM
Team Member
Dan

Sounds like my 68, missing buckles also for shoulder strap. Pics...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	033F1E75-8E35-4719-AF1F-B82D15FB32ED.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	225097   Click image for larger version

Name:	60CCEFE0-86AD-45B4-9F30-357BB1DC5ACE.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	225099   Click image for larger version

Name:	BB56486D-BDFD-49EA-AB5D-75AEBEC91B01.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	225101  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2BE6D891-DC9D-4398-80DB-5034B3AB36C1.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	225103  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 11:57 AM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlaughterD View Post
Sounds like my 68, missing buckles also for shoulder strap. Pics...
Dan and Michael, believe it was quite common for us back then to remove one belt as I have NO memory of anyone I knew back then using the shoulder belt. So we took one belt out especially if one had a console to hold one. And remembering few even utilized the lap belt in 1968.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks Dan! My son came over and found out why my photos would not upload so I am happy you have photos of what I needed. Chick thanks for the heads up about what happened in the day when dealing with 2 belt buckles. That definitely makes sense and probably something I would have done then at that point in my life. As a Senior Tech Chick don't you think this information is worth putting into the CRG's information about the early 1968 Camaro's that were built with the clip hanging from the head rail rather than the belt buckle? I think that information is relevant and probably only applies to the 70 early 1968 Camaros ordered before January 1, 1968 with the front seat belt option. This is the only reason I have been writing to you in the first place although it is a great source for Camaros!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Probationer

Got photo's finally uploaded hope you can see them if not please let me know when you can

Thanks Michael.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 19, 08:54 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkendall View Post
Ö... As a Senior Tech Chick don't you think this information is worth putting into the CRG's information about the early 1968 Camaro's that were built with the clip hanging from the head rail rather than the belt buckle? I think that information is relevant and probably only applies to the 70 early 1968 Camaros ordered before January 1, 1968 with the front seat belt option. This is the only reason I have been writing to you in the first place although it is a great source for Camaros!
Michael, welcome aboard, thanks for the pics ! What you have is the standard shoulder belt set up for 68 (model year) as CRG describes. 67 (model year) optional shoulder belts had the buckle at the headliner.

From CRG;

Front Shoulder Belts

67 coupes
The optional 67 front shoulder belts had the buckle belt attached to the headliner and the clip belt attached to the inboard floor. This was a low volume option and was a poor design which is described in more detail in the CRG 1967 Camaro front shoulder harness article.

68-69 coupes
The mounting of the coupe shoulder belts was improved in 1968 (which is good since they became standard equipment in January 1968!). The clip belt was attached to the headliner and the buckle belt was mounted to the floor on top of the lap buckle belt, both inside the flexible plastic boot.

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 19, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Probationer

Thanks for the update Garth! Yes, I agree hanging the buckle from the head rail was a bad design for 1967. Thanks to everyone who helped me understand the difference between the front seat belt position between the 1967 and 1968 Camaro!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 19th, 19, 03:33 PM
Senior Tech
Garth

Yep, thanks to KurtS, Jon Mello and the CRG for the article. I've never seen shoulder belts in a 67 in person. Pretty rare (894 sold). A member here, "Jonesy" had them in his 67 Z/28 (602 sold) and headrests (2,342 sold) to boot ! All the options available back in those days is what really makes these cars so interesting...

• '68 RS, AA, 749, L30, M(uncie)20 (originally a 3spd), 15yr backburner resto........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode