Hello everyone - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ric67
  • 1 Post By Brettallen59
  • 1 Post By RDW
  • 1 Post By buenymayor
  • 1 Post By Everett#2390

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Chris

Garage
Hello everyone

Well this is my story I always wanted a 1st gen Camaro so I pulled the trigger, my wife and I bought a 68 Camaro bone stock California car with matching#s 327 and SS badging which I plan to install bb soon, I bought it from the 2nd owner it was a barn find it sat for 29 yearís and was restored in Hollywood California, I love this car but there is only one problem In 2014 I was a Firefighter/medic and had a long fall off a ladder on duty with about 90lbs of gear on and broke my neck I am a incomplete quadriplegic, I have arm use but nothing below my chest and no grip so now there is no way for me to work on this car. I was wondering if anyone has seen a hadicap accesible 1st gen Camaro, my dream is to have a push button automatic trans and push/pull gas and brake my main problem right now is the seat position is way to far foward I will need someone to modify the seat railís to extend to the back seat. Also probably a set of newer gen electric seats because I canít push myself forward. If anyone can help me with information on this I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 19, 01:43 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage
Exclamation Re: Hello everyone

I'm sorry I can't address you by name because somehow you got through the sign up without one (it is required) and a location (also required) but welcome aboard never the less. I'll have to ask the webfolks how that happened.

There have been other muscle car era machines specifically made accessible so you won't be the first in that respect, and many of the items you are asking for have been already done on first gens for other reasons. But this may be the first specific Camaro transformation I have heard of here at TC.

The seat tracks are often extended for the "larger" owners we have commonly today than the 1960's GM designers expected to be driving these cars. These extensions are done for both headroom issues and behind the wheel comfort. Along with these manual seat track extenders, many owners have put "modern" electric seating from either other models or specifically built aftermarket seats. So your issue should be approachable from both angles.

Some of the resto-mod and or touring folks here can point you toward paddle shift and other hand operated throttle and braking options available, and once we know your location may even be able to give you the names of local shops and modifiers who can help you achieve your dream Camaro.

Again Welcome to TC

Brian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to send me a private message
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Chris

Garage
Re: Hello everyone

Sorry Brian, my name is Chris and Iím from California. I am searching for extended seat railís and plan on putting in some newer Camaro power seats. We have a company where I live that does conversions but I barely trust them to step in my van, so I am really scared to let them touch my Camaro, Thankís for the info.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 03:59 PM
Admin/Super Moderator
Brian

Garage

Cool thanks for updating your profile.

You will learn here that the community of Team Camaro is family more than not so if there is anyone in your area who knows a decent shop or fabricator they will chime in. Where in California are you?

Brian

1969 Z11 Pace Car - L48 350cid/300hp - 4 Speed Muncie 12 bolt rear.

Super Moderator Team Camaro
to send me a private message
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 19, 04:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

I know there is a Paraplegic guy somewhere in the London Ontario area that has a 68 Firebird that is modified for his use. Never met him or saw the car. Bought the power drum brakes for it from someone else as gthe owner went power 4 wheel disc

Perhaps another member knows more.
cnelly68 likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Chris

Garage

Thankís for the info Rick, at least I know now it can be done.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 05:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Brett

Garage

Welcome from Texas! That is so cool to learn about your realistic goal of driving around town in the coolest car made. I'm sure will come to fruition! The knowledge here us massive and I'm sure that we can surely help you get on the road. Can you post some pics of your car? I would love to see it before, during and after your aspirations are realized. I put some of the seat track extensions in my 69 and I find myself thinking; "Man this is too far back"! I also installed a tilt wheel that helps also.

Keep in touch!

Brett........
cnelly68 likes this.

1969 SS 396 X66 - RS Conversion - TKO600 - 3.73 Posi - Paint Code 71-LeMans Blue
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 19, 06:59 PM
RDW
Senior Tech
Bob

Garage

Welcome from Ohio
cnelly68 likes this.

67 Camaro coupe 327 automatic
78 RS Camaro 350 automatic (sold)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 03:10 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Welcome, Chris! I have a friend that took a nasty fall 5 years ago and is paralyzed from the waist down. After his accident, he bought a '64 Sport Fury (he's a Mopar fan) and another friend found hand controls for it and put them in for him. He drives it all the time, now. I can't explain my glee when I saw him pull into the driveway with it one day (and the subsequent burn out in front of the house when he left). Rarely have I been as happy for someone as I was for him that day. Best of luck!
cnelly68 likes this.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome, Chris, to the Club
Correct year and you'll 'Get'r done!'
If you wanted push-button shift, one can look at 1954(?) Chrysler, Dodge, & Plymouth up through 1966(?) as they were all push-button.
Mine was a 1957 Plymouth Belvedere with a Power-Flite, their answer to GM's PowerGlide.
cnelly68 likes this.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - maybe this year, 2019 ...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 19, 11:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Hi Chris, Welcome aboard.
Many of us here are running what are known as the "seat extenders". They bolt in to relocate your seat about 3 inches farther back. I'm 6' tall and that makes the seat too far back for me at full extension. Changing to a steering wheel with less depth can also help, depending on what you have. I have an extra set of seat extenders if they are what you need. Send me a pm and I can send you a photo so you can be sure.
Tom

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Probationer
Chris

Garage

Hey thankís Brett, can you tell me where you purchased the seat extensions from I would appreciate it.

Thankís Chris
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old May 13th, 19, 02:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Tom

Chris PM me your mailing address.

Tom

'67 rs - ordered new by my Grandfather
327 L30, K-K, Deluxe int, tach & gauges, 12 bolt posi, 4 speed.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode