Oh Wow. Newbie From DFW Have I got a Story... - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Probationer
Rick

Send a message via AIM to rickb67rs Send a message via MSN to rickb67rs Send a message via Yahoo to rickb67rs
Oh Wow. Newbie From DFW Have I got a Story...

Hey guys, just bought a 67 RS Camaro. Need lots of advice moving forward. I hope to be able to connect to some like-minded restoration peeps.

Just pulled the 67 in the shop yesterday. Started looking at all the parts which were in the car. From a previous 8 year stay in a body shop. They guy got the car out, and so it
was 18 years since he last saw it. His dad offered to help him restore it back when the car was a driver and the guy was graduating highschool.

Things went way wrong and he ended up losing the original 327 and trans for some work in the body shop that never did get done. Needless to say I now have a car with good glass, bumpers, body, new RS wheels, Disk brake rotors, hood, trunk and doors, fenders and lights, grill, seats, steering, but no brake booster, And all looking like you could just build the car back if you wanted to drive it.

Short a 327 and a trans.

Q&A? How do I determine if the rear end is a posi or not? Or did they make them back then? Also wiring looks good but it is a jumbled mess under the dash. Should I buy a harness kit just to understand where everything goes?

The body has been worked and worked and blocked and blocked. body parts line up good. But the carpet is still in on the floor. Should I remove it check for rust and perhaps media blast all the sealer under the car? To make sure metal is still good. The car has been stored for the last 18 years so do not see any rust anywhere.

Does the frame need to be removed? It looks like it has gloss black on it. And edges of the hood, trunk, door jams and inside the firewall and inner fender wells is all gloss black.

Can anyone give me a clue on what to do first for this Camaro? I just recently restored a 56 Chevy, but I had to put in the floor, rockers, patches, media blast it, seal it, and start from a rusty relic. This car is not that bad.

In fact, looks like you could put it back together and drive it around with primer coat. If you wanted a driver. Other than adding an engine, trans and driveshaft. What say, you fellows? Where would you go from here? I can send pics but I just don't know how here as yet.

Thanks for whoever reads this and wants to lend an ear.

Awesome to finally build the exact car I had when I was 20. It got stolen, stripped complete, handed back by the police, then I sold it as is for $1500. Nothing but a shell with wheels. They picked it clean of ever part removable.
Since then I've always wanted one again!

Paid 9K for it. 2 sets of wheels. 1 new set of Rallies with centers and rings. Has good seats, glass, trim, 3 stereos. new motors for lights, the only console got ran over during their moving process from a body shop to his garage.

What would be best info, books, pdf, service manual, restoration guides? or other info on restoring one of these?

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Camaro at purchase 4-6.2019.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	226289   Click image for larger version

Name:	67 Camaro.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	226291  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 08:12 AM
Senior Tech
Brian

Re: Oh Wow. Newbie From DFW Have I got a Story...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb67rs View Post
Q&A? How do I determine if the rear end is a posi or not? Or did they make them back then?

Rick
Welcome, Rick! Jack both rear wheels off the ground and spin one of the wheels. If the other wheel spins the same direction, it's a posi (unless someone has added a spool or welded the spider gears). If it spins the opposite direction, it is a single trac. Probably be a good idea to pull the rear cover to change the fluid anyhow, so you can look, then. Be a good time to verify which rear gear ratio the car has, too.

Experience...... It's what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 19, 11:23 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Great start, man! Welcome!
You'll find no shortage of knowledge here! The people on this forum know these cars!

I've got a few solid restoration books at home I'll send titles of when I get there.
Even general knowledge about the first gens. Really fun stuff.

'68 Convertible, #'s Matching, 327/210HP
LeMans Blue - Deluxe Parchment Interior
Power Steering, Powerglide, 10-Bolt, 2.73:1
Norwood car, Build date 03D

'53 Ford Crestline - Hardtop
Raven Black/Sungate Ivory
239 Flathead V-8

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 06:57 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage

Congrats Rick, I am in the DFW area and I saw that car on Craigslist. Glad someone with the passion picked it up. I have a 67 convertible going thru the full build now. Not on here as often as I like but will for sure follow your build. Have you decided what that plan is?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 10:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage

Hello Rick welcome to the site. Lots of info here.

Hello John also

We are all '67 owners.

Meet???

1967 RS/SS Vert (non matching)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 19, 01:22 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
John

Garage

We could meet but I would have to bring the daily driver. The 67 has a good way to go before she is road ready....
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 19, 07:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Why the carpet is still in there after all these years of "restoration" is curious. Yes, remove it and inspect the floor for rust. There will be some, hopefully just surface.
First off, do you have a clean title ? If not, I wouldn't buy parts or improve the vehicle in any way until I had a legitimate title transferred into your name. Having sat that long, who knows who could come out of the woods, claiming to own it and have a title, fake or real. Even if the person you bought it from handed you a transferable title...transfer it immediately. I see many people wait until they have invested thousands of dollars and hours before transferring a title and I find that difficult to understand. The car is still legally registered to the owner on the title and they can apply for a lost title and come after the car later. Does this happen often, probably not, but I've never allowed that situation with my purchases. I'm very cautious and need to know the car is legally mine before I spend a bunch of money on it, beyond the 9k, you already have...

Once ownership is established, I suggest a complete inventory of what you have. Lay everything out and compare to what it needs to be complete. Hopefully, again, you have all the rs headlight mechanicals and original grille/trim. The repro stuff isn't as good.

The wiring is 50+ years old and may be brittle when moved/bent. If so, get a new harness. If you are planning an original resto, American Autowire and a couple others have very good plug and play, direct fit harnesses available. If doing upgrades to electronic ignition, 1 wire alternator, better stereo, etc, AAW has a very good update kit, but you need to have the tools to terminate the wires where you place the parts they go to...right hand alt, rather than left, hidden/trunk mount stereo/booster, etc.

...38 Chev coupe, street rod
...54 Chev 210 coupe
...62 Impala SS, driver/project
...67 Camaro, ss/rs LA built driver/project
...66 Chevelle SS, Atlanta built 138 driver/project
...69 C10, cab and clip may end up on the '89 rollback
...70 Chevelle SS, Canadian documented Z25 project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode