Team Camaro Tech banner

Name is Gary, hope to find some answers here.

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  DOUG G 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 69 camaro project car. 454 ( 468 ) and it cranks but won’t start. I started a forum post with my issues. I’m hoping someone here will end my headaches. Recap, valves are set correctly, timing is correct, carburetor works, getting gas, plugs get spark, and my headache continues. Help!

#2 ·
If the timing is correct, getting fuel, and spark , it should run if the compression is good. One of those is missing.

#4 ·
The engine is an older big block. I’m getting conflicting stories on timing. Some say crank and cam 6&12=1 distributor on 1
Some say crank and cam 12 & 12 are 1 with distributor at 1. Are big blocks and small blocks different when it comes to timing?

#5 ·
It doesn't really matter. Pull number one plug and bump the starter with your finger over the hole or screw in an adapter for a compression tester and plug that end with a finger. When the compression blows your finger off that piston is coming up on the compression stroke and the rotor should point to number one plug wire on the cap. if your distributor is 180 degrees off it will pop back thru the carb and not run.

Jeff

#8 ·
If you have long pushrods on both intake and exhaust, you will not get compression. The valve will always be a little open.

#11 ·
Cranks
Have spark
Getting fuel

No real reason to not run....As said above, turn over by hand with a finger over the #1 plug hole to find TDC.
Check rotor points at #1
Put plug back in
Leave distributor semi loose and mark the base to go back to later
Have someone crank while you turn the distributor slowly one direction and see if you get anything
Nothing ? go back to mark
Try cranking again and turn the other way, slowly, and see IF you get anything.

IF it starts, get a timing light on it quick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.