Team Camaro Tech banner

'68 SS/RS 350 - Longtime owner, new member in CO

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  convertible68camaro 
#1 ·
Hi - I'm Martin. Currently live in Denver, CO. I am a mechanical engineer and have been a car enthusiast since I was 13.

I recently reacquired my '68 SS/RS from my parent's home in VA. I got the car Halloween night 1992 when I was 18. Paid $6500 for it (even then - what a steal!!!) Found it sitting in an old warehouse where a guy was selling older cars. Spent many days chasing girls, cruising with friends, and just generally having a good time in this car. The stories this car could tell...

I want to thank the forum mods here - this site appears well put together. I'm on other auto forums, this one is a wealth of knowledge. So far I've learned that I have a rather well optioned car.

After reading through this site, I thought this may have been an original L30/M20 car since it had a 12 bolt and multi-leaf springs. I recently discovered this is a 100% SS/RS car from the factory, found the partial VIN stamped into my Muncie trans with an install date of 5/31/68 - firewall tag build date is 05E (last week of May build date). The axle is a BU 3.73 Eaton posi unit, dated 5/13/68. So it appears I have a real SS/RS. Sadly, I may have given the original 350 engine away to replace it with a 400 SBC. I'll never know - the guy I traded the engine to passed away in 2010.

Now I'm trying to figure out if this was a 396 car. It has the big block hood vents, but of course, these could have been added at anytime. But they do look OEM as the chrome is aged and matches the door handles and other bits that haven't been replaced thus far. The 350 cars should have had the '67 hood vents from what I've read on here and camaros.org. Looking forward to meeting people here virtually and maybe IRL at Denver car shows.

Firewall Tag 05E, G2, 712
Ash Gold-Black Vinyl Top SS/RS L48/M20
AH tire code on sticker (helped support my SS suspicions)
3.73 (BU axle)
Factory A/C (removed prior to my original purchase)
Fold Down Rear Seat
F41 Suspension Package (just checked wire diameter tonight - 0.630, 347 lb/in)
Power steering and brakes

The car is currently red and has a 383. I just put the Torq Thrust IIs on in January. I have always wanted these wheels since the day I bought the car. I love 'em, they're hot. I just put some Koni Classics on it tonight, dropped it to the ground and discovered the OEM leaf springs are done. Debating whether to get them rearched/rebuilt or just buy some Eaton springs.

I would like to build a 427 SBC for it and paint it Fathom Blue or LeMans Blue since I don't have the original engine. I can't do Ash Gold, even if it was one of the more popular colors in '68. My dad had one of the body guys at his trucking company give it a respray. There are so many fish-eyes and dirt in the paint. It's rather sad. But from 10 feet away...

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome aboard, beautiful 68 and I do like the wheels ! :thumbsup: Are they 17's ?

Kinda difficult to prove it was a 350 or 396 at this point. Both would have "velocity stack" hood ornaments by May. Exterior Related - Camaro FAQ
You can look over this chart Exterior Related - Camaro FAQ to see some of differences. Big blocks of course, had a different heater box and transmission crossmember, blacked out tailpanel, etc, but all could've been changed over years. Maybe if you're lucky, you might find a tag on the front coil springs as I'm pretty sure they would be different. The numbers matching Muncie does prove it was/is an SS or Z/28. :)

Congrats and good to have you here...

#3 ·
Welcome aboard, beautiful 68 and I do like the wheels ! :thumbsup: Are they 17's ?

Kinda difficult to prove it was a 350 or 396 at this point. Both would have "velocity stack" hood ornaments by May.
You can look over this chart to see some of differences. Big blocks of course, had a different heater box and transmission crossmember, blacked out tailpanel, etc, but all could've been changed over years. Maybe if you're lucky, you might find a tag on the front coil springs as I'm pretty sure they would be different. The numbers matching Muncie does prove it was/is an SS or Z/28. :)

Congrats and good to have you here...
Thanks! They are 16" wheels, I kind of like the higher aspect ratio tire for ride comfort vs a 17" wheel.

Going through the 68 spring charts now to determine what spring I should have. I'm not sure the stickers are still on the coil springs and the leaf springs are very rusty from the car's East Coast life. Looking through the transmission crossmember page - it appears I have a L48 350 car as my crossmember matches the SB model and I don't think it's been changed out prior to me buying the car. This helps me narrow down the F41 option being on the car.

#4 ·
I'm with you on the look and comfort of a beefier sidewall tire. I imagine tire choices are quite limited though, probably about as bad (limited) as 15" are nowadays ?

Evidence does point to an L48. The BU rear would've been a special option with L48, but I don't think it was available with an L35/34....*I'm not absolutely sure on this*. It would've been optional with the L78.

I'm not familiar with the F41 suspension, other than what's listed in the AIM. It appears the spring application would depend on the engine and other options, so you would need to figure that out first. Maybe Ed ("bertfam") will see this and chime in. He's pretty knowledgeable on this stuff....

#7 ·
I created an Excel tire calculator to get an approximate tire size to compare against the OEM F70x14 for nominal diameter. Settled on a 225/55-16. Could probably go larger, but this size seemed a reasonable compromise at 55 series. Can always jack up the tire pressures to get some cornering stiffness, if needed.

Digging through the 68 spring charts, it appears the F41 for a L48 with A/C gets 347/131 F/R spring rates. I downloaded the '68 Camaro archive docs from the GM Heritage Center. It has the AMA specs for the L6/327 and 396 cars, the SS350 cars aren't spec'd out. But looking at the wire diameter (0.629) for the BB cars shows a 347 lb/in spring rate. The F41 BB cars got a 400 lb/in spring. My front spring measured 0.630 (0.001 for dirt...) So I'm simply guessing at the F41 option on my car, but it appears to be supported. I would love to try and salvage the OE leaves, but they are so rusty, it will be futile. I may try and reach out to Eaton to get a custom 131 lb/in spring. I should probably just buy the standard 125 spring, but it would be fun to recreate the F41 option to OEM standard.

Thanks for all the input, I'm having fun trying to figure out what my car has. I think someone ordered this car and went through the dealer worksheet to build a specific car they wanted. They checked off a lot of options. Would love to try and find the original owners or family.

I enjoy having some other enthusiasts to chat with. My wife just nods her head in agreement...

Welcome to the site Martin. There are a couple pretty good Colorado Facebook groups if you aren't already aware of them.

Pistons in the Pines
Colorado Camaros

Maybe we I will catch you at an event some time.
Thank you for the info. I will check out the FB pages. Planning to hit up a Golden SuperCruise when I get the leaf spring issue sorted. If you see this car and I'm there, please say hi.

Welcome to the club. Correct year.
She is pretty.
'68s are undeniably the best year!

#9 ·
I enjoy having some other enthusiasts to chat with. My wife just nods her head in agreement...
Could be a lot worse.;)

I'm following ya. Wasn't sure where you got the spring specs ("wire dia"), but I see them now. Many years ago they'd (GM Heritage center) send out a pack of literature pertaining to ones specific model car, free of charge. This was before the days of computers, or well before I had one. Dunno, they may still offer this service.

Personally, I wouldn't want heavy duty springs in the rear as these cars are so light in the back anyway, they ride like a truck if things are too stiff. Plus they tend to set high in rear too, especially 67 and 68. I put 5 leaf springs from a Nova on mine and ended up removing the bottom leaf to get the height down about an inch. I know some folks advise against it, but I haven't had any problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.