Do Third Generation Frames Rust Out??? - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 06, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Do Third Generation Frames Rust Out???

Hi,

I need some objectivity...

My $100 investment has steering issues. At a local garge the "kids" (mechanic helpers) made mention of holes they saw rusted through the frame. I remember back in the day that frames were thick... but I am old. I wasn't there when the car was racked. It doesn't seem feasable even though I live in Hawaii and the car has set for two years.

I haven't had a car for 9 months since my Volvo turbo wagon went to Swedish Heaven after 215,000 miles. Now I must retool for American muscle and run a continuing battle with my condo Board Of Directors to work, "play", and enjoy my third generation Camaro...

It's an '85 so it will need everything. I'm not stressed I just don't like throwing good money after bad.

I could blow it up or flip it for a movie scene, I am the president of JCJ Productions or I can fix it up and give it to a Production Assistant and have the satisfaction that I own the former car of a grandmaster witch on the Island of Oahu. That appeals too what little of my Catholic sensibililites remain.

Respectfully With Aloha,
Jmaes C. Jones

1985 Berlinetta
4speed Auto
T-Top
Red
Condition Fair
Body straight except for rt. front fender

purchase price $100.00
battery $100.00
tank of fuel $ 50.00

To update the registration it will be $350.00
THE WINDSHIELD HAS A CRACK $300.00

Respectfully With Aloha,
James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Nov 11th, 06, 05:05 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mitch

Re: Do Third Generation Frames Rust Out???

To answer the original question...yes they do. Now, you didn't state if it was the front sub frame or the rear unibody "frame". It is a 21 year old car and it is possible for them to rust out. There are a few other members on here in HI....don't know for sure which island, but I would suggest asking if they can look at it or take the car to a reputable repair facility...be it mechanical or body, and getting a professional opinion on the condition of your car before sinking anymore into it. The third gens are in no-mans land for aftermarket restoration parts....isn't much available yet....and the Berlinetta has a number of unique features that are even more challenging to find used or new.
Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode