Hallo from Australia - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 06, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Hallo from Australia

Hi all,
I am originally from the UK but recently relocated to Australia and am seriously looking at importing an early Camaro.
Looking forward to chatting with you guys/girls on here to learn more about the brand and making some friends
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 04:35 AM
Senior Tech

Re: Hallo from Australia

Hay back to ya, and welcome!
I take it there is not any 1st gen Camaros in the local paper. I know there is a few from Australia that are on the site. I would like to import anonther to my garage from anywhere. Enjoy your hunt.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 06:59 AM
Retired
Jim

welcome and good luck, have a Fosters on me

Click..is Jim..former owner of a 69RS-LM1 350/255 - 700r
"There will come a time when you believe everything is finished,
That will be the beginning." Louis L'Amour

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 07:38 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Welcome and good luck also. I'll get the next round. Ask away!

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 12:39 PM
Senior Tech
Steps

Welcome...Im across the 'pond' m8
If imorting, check out the local State regs on left hook cars and converting to right hook
Camaros where not designed for univeral left/right hook.
Also check out costs of doing the cobersion..it canbe very expensive 10 grand plus....AND check out the workmanship, there are cowboys who do some very unprofessional work
There is a crowd in Tauranga (NZ) who are tops..the also contract to do Humvees and other cars to supply world wide.

My Spelling is not incorrect...it is creative

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 08:25 PM
Senior Tech
Steve

Cowboys doing right hand drive conversions??? No..!

Id prefer a rusty beater with a good conversion than a show queen with a bad one.

Out of all the conversions I have seen. 7/10 suck, 2/10 are OK, and 1/10 are a bit better.

Better still, leave it LHD..

Hey Robocos.. Where exactly are you?
We've got our show on tomorrow if you're local. (Melbourne). http://www.60samcc.com/

Nov 68 Van Nuys. 327 floor-shift-auto, Frost Green and not much else when new.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 06, 10:24 PM
Senior Tech

Hello back at you from the States!

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 03:32 AM
Senior Tech
Virgil

Hello,
From Mississippi, but currently in Brasil. I worked offshore of Australia, been to a few places, Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Karratha, Darwin, Broome, and a few others... even spent the night on Barrow Island (its just an oilfield island off the coast of Karratha)
Good luck in your search. I was trying to round up some 350s /454s to ship to one of our Aussie workers, but he was transferred before we got everything lined up. Said it would be cheaper to buy them like that than in Australia.
Did see a few Corvettes Camaros and Mustangs in Perth. The Red 66 Stang convertible had the big "Caution, Left hand drive" decal on the back. He cruised "Point Park" pretty regular.
Still have a good friend I email quite a bit who lives toward Fremantle.
No Worries, M8.

Virgil
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 10:59 AM
Senior Tech
David

Welcome. Good luck with your search.

David

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 11:56 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Cowboys doing right hand drive conversions??? No..!

Id prefer a rusty beater with a good conversion than a show queen with a bad one.
That makes the show queen the cowboy.

Quote:
Out of all the conversions I have seen. 7/10 suck, 2/10 are OK, and 1/10 are a bit better.

Better still, leave it LHD..
Yep full agreement.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 06, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the welcomes.
Not planning to convert to RHD. I don't think there will be any issues with getting a road worthy cert on a LHD.
My plan is to get a RS/SS and use it sparingly as a toy.
Always been a Ford man really-Cosworths etc-but have always had a soft spot for the early muscle cars so I think it's time to scratch that itch and after deliberation between Mustangs and Camaros I think the Camaro has the edge.
Suppose I shouldn't really use the "F" word on here .
Thanks again.
Rob
PS I'm based in QLD on the Sunshine Coast.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Nov 19th, 06, 11:52 AM
Senior Tech
Steps

Quote:
Not planning to convert to RHD. I don't think there will be any issues with getting a road worthy cert on a LHD.
Good man...I have driven mine as a daily for 26 yrs in NZ...and still left hook
Driving with the driver in the center of the road is down right dangerous...one of the biggest ripoffs in history..
Passengers:
The gear stick in the right hand is quick to used to.
The strangest thing for a passenger, since they are on the 'drivers' side is the rear vision mirror..one has a natural tendency to look up at it and can only see hood lining lol...
Going around cnrs, the line is different, as a passenger, turning left they think u are going to clip the kurb...turning right u will leave heaps of space

Driver:
If u have the quick ratio steering box, watch u dont clip the curb on a left turn with the back wheel.
U will have a tendency to drift out to the center line..yep sounds strange...keep left.
On the highway, heading down a hill, with a right bend at the bottom and hill going up...there is a blind spot for the road going up the hill blocked by the rear vision mirror...dont cut the cnr.
parrell parking..reverse in...once u have the knack of this, u can put the 1st gen Camaro in a bery small parking spot that even small jappas like a toyota corolla cant get into.
Open road, in a line of traffic...since everyone is right hook, the car up front all tend to stagger a little towards the center of the road...being Lhook stay to the left and u can see well ahead up the inside.
When passing, stay well back from the car /truck in front..if the road is clear from your position to the left (above comment) pull to the center double check, then GO...in most cases u will not need to cross the center line because sitting next to the car u are passing one can pass a lot closer to it.
Winding narrow back roads are great with left hook, u can cut close on inside cnrs, and safe and wide on the outside.

Once u get used to the differences, u will love the ease and safety of driving of driving left hook on right hook roads.

The Stupid desk jockeys will a string of degrees who dream up things having to put warning bumber stickers on (dont need them in NZ) and restrictions on importation and conversion of L hooks.....if they had 1/2 a brain they would die of confusion
Historically (where countries have converted the national fleet from right hand to left hand driving) a stastical eveidence of miles driven/accident(Gov and insurance companies) shows driving next to the curb is far safer and saves lives.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 18th, 07, 04:45 PM
Senior Tech
Mark

Send a message via AIM to tronic72

Just saw your post.

I'm in Melbourne. Have a factory 68 SS/RS 325 HP Big Block Car.

Did you end up getting a car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode