69 door rubber/windlace problems - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 07, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

69 door rubber/windlace problems

My 69 z/28 is almost finished however the door rubber seems to be somewhat off. I have my factory windlaces in place. How are the repop windlaces? The door panels are P.U.I. and after trimming and regluing they will work. Has anyone tried the Ted Williams door panels? My kickpanels are O.R.E. and seem thicker than factory. We are having trouble with the proper closing of the doors. We had to trim the window fuzzies with the dremel tool to clear rubber around quarter window. All of these problems add up to my doors closing improperly. My father and I have alot of time in this groundup restoration. I would appreciate some input because I feel that I am not alone in this aftermarket world. I will buy new rubber,etc. if needed,just dont want to throw my money away. So close to wheeling this hugger orange z-car,any comments would be welcomed. Thank you from Virginia.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 10th, 07, 06:07 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Re: 69 door rubber/windlace problems

Door gaskets can be a pain...I used metro super soft and my doors close fine...Hope this helps, good luck...Mike

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 12th, 07, 02:32 PM

I used the same soft seals works fine for me. I have seen a brand unknow that looks better but is to thick. That might be your problem.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 13th, 07, 07:18 AM
Senior Tech
Bill Miller

What kind of problem are you having? I have PUI pannels and soft seal weatherstrips. I had a problem with the drivers door were it would bind on the front of the door were the front of the door pannel hits the kickpannel. I have noticed that most 69's anyway seem to be tighter in this area than on the pass. side. You either have to shim the door out some or I was able to bend the pinch weld area that the back of the kick pannel goes over enough to get the door to fit. I had all my gaps perfect and did not want to start readjusting the door and fender. The rear of the door were the weatherstrip and the windlace touch is really tight and I did have to trim the soft seal door seal some to get it to work.

1969 RS convertible 327 1981 Z28 original unrestored
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 07, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

O.E.R. latex door rubber solved my problems regarding proper door closure. This rubber is softer and smaller than .... The ..... trunk rubber fits fine. I did not rule out metro,however the latex came through.I have my old windlaces,and I am very glad. A leading restoration shop on the east coast told me that the aftermarket windlaces will not fit properly. I worked out my door panel issue as well. I recommend that anyone in need of door panels check out ted williams products at a show. Take measurements off of old panels and look around before buying. Stay away from aftermarket hose clamps as well,a friend of mine uses Ford clamps. Aftermarket outer mirror brackets will not fit,must grind old ones.The problem is with the angle of the screw hole. I also advise anyone new to this to buy complete bolt and screw kits for in and out. Test fit your emblems before paint cause repro is not the same. Save your old parts,this is imperative. Just want to save some poor soul some trouble and dough,sorry for rambling. Just ready to finish my Z and row through the gears with that competition plus shifter!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode