Hello from Northern Calif. - Team Camaro Tech
New Member Introductions New here? Please introduce yourself.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Hello from Northern Calif.

Greetings everyone,
I just bought a Camaro yesterday so I figured this would be a good place to find out more information about my car, who sells hard to find parts and perhaps get a little advice (or Laughs) on how to tell my wife I bought the car.

Late yesterday, I got a wild hair up my a* to look at this 64 GTO I kept seeing in the window of this exotic car lot on my daily drive to work. When I arrived there was immediate bad news, "the car was sold yesterday". Well, since I left work early to look at this car I decide to browse for a while, what man could help himself right?. This particular car place has some of the sweetest rides to ever grace the pavement. From Ferrari, Maserati and Vipers to Saleen, Camaros and Chevelles. This place was a candy store for men with bad habits and expensive tastes. Before leaving the salesman mentioned that he had this super clean 67 RS SS that wasn't in the show room because it was having the SS stripes painted on the hood and truck. I hopped in my truck and followed this salesman over to the paint shop and within 10 minutes, buying this ultra sweet Camaro was a done deal.
I pick the car up on Monday morning after the paint has cured.
Now for the bad part.
My wife has no idea I bought the car and I couldn't get myself to tell her last night. Like most women, she thinks I spend too much money on toys and personal hobbies than I should. She thinks all extra money should be spent on our retirement property in the Reno NV area.

Last year we attended the Hot August Nights in Reno NV. Ever since then, a little voice in my head keeps telling me I need a new hot rod. Now, since I'm self employed I guess I could tell her the company paid for the car but since I own the company that doesn't always fly. If I have to sleep on the couch or with the dog for a couple weeks till the heat blows over it will all be worth it in the end.

I will post some pics when I get her home next week.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 06:30 AM

Re: Hello from Northern Calif.

Welcome
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 06:55 AM
Team Member
Steve

Garage

Welcome. Post some pics when you get them. We'd love to see them. Good luck telling your wife. Mine would be none too pleased if I tried to keep that secret from her.
There's a ton of information to be learned on this site and at the Camaro Research Group. http://www.camaros.org/

Enjoy your car.

Steve
1968 that started life and a 6 banger with a PG. Now it's a 350 with a TKO600, Moser 12 bolt, Speedtech LCA/UCA, ATS Tall Spindles, Hotchkis Springs, Forgeline ZX3P, C5 (Kore3) brakes with other cool stuff from Ron Davis, Vintage Air and soon to be Terminator EFI.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 07:19 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike, 69's rule

Hey Rich...Welcome, great story for your first post... Sounds like you stopped in at Speciality sales....Tell the wife, no biggie, , just tell her all of your other cars go down in value, this one will go up in value... Anyway, welcome to the team! Where abouts are you in the Bay Area? There are lots of great members located around the bay. Like Steve mentioned....pictures!!

(STAY THIRSTY, MY FRIENDS).

1969 Camaro
1990 IROCZ28 convertible (SOLD)
2004 Silverado Z71 4x4
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
GGSMU member

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 07:24 AM
Senior Tech

Congrats on the car, but you really should have run it past the wife first. I don't know your wife, but I know mine would be seriously pissed if I spent that kind of money without discussing it first.

Scott.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

A quick update: I couldn't take her not knowing about the car and even more, my not knowing exactly how mad she might be when she found out. So I got some stones and called her at work to discussed the purchase.
Suprisingly she was receptive to the idea, all she said was "if that's what I wanted then she would go along with it".
She did ask if I paid for the car before I bothered asking if it was ok, the truth was I hadn't paid for the car. I only put down a deposit until the paint was completed and I picked it up Monday. So I was truthful.

Zuma, yes Specialty Sales is the car lot and since you know the place you must know what unbelievable cars the have in stock.
I live in Concord and my work is on Mare Island (Vallejo).
Thank you everyone for the replies.

Rich

Last edited by Rich-Allen; Jan 25th, 07 at 04:58 PM.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 11:36 AM

Welcome to Team Camaro from another Northern California resident. Specialty Sales does have some sweet rides and they're good people too. I bought my '69 RS from them 4 months ago (see pics in link below).

Post pics as soon as you can :-)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

Green RS, your car is sweet as hell!, matter of fact my paint color is nearly the same.
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Here is a link to specialty sales and pics of my car.
LINK
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 02:29 PM
Senior Tech

Nice looking car, and you picked the best year too.

Scott.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 02:56 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Charlie

Garage

Hey Rich, nice save with the wife! I'm sure she could hear the passion in your voice and given it wasn't for another woman, looks like you scored! Welcome to the site which you will undoubtably find as a great resource for Camaros and relationship advise, when needed. Charlie

Last edited by camaromaniac; Jan 25th, 07 at 04:12 PM.
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 03:23 PM
Senior Tech
Larry

Thumbs up Re: Hello from Northern Calif.

Hello and welcome and the 1st. generation camaros are the best.

(LARRY)

1969 CAMARO SS 502ci - 600hp

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 03:28 PM
Senior Tech
Chick

Garage

Welcome Rich and what a great story! You might want to make a reservation to a nice restaurant this Saturday evening with a great bottle of wine (if you like wine, we do) and tell her how something special has happened that you believe will be great for the two of you and then tell her. Something like it had to be special to communicate, etc..... Your in the danger zone on this so prepare well Rich! Post some pictures as stated several times and let us know how it goes. We can always learn from real life experiences.

Chick
68, 69, & 2015 Z/28's
69 Nova's L34 Father/Son & L78 Surv purch-new
67, 68, & 2015 Z06 Corvettes
Our 68Z Restoration
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 07, 07:00 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome Rich to the Team! Congrats on your purchase. Great story! It sounds like a real twist of fate ending up with the 67 RS/SS Camaro. Can't wait to see those pictures.

67 RS Camaro 327/ 350 Holley 650cfm > Edelbrock Performer Intake > Pertronix Ignition > Accel Super Stock Coil and Wires > Hedman Hedders > Hotchkis Performance Springs > 15" Rallys all around

Camaro buds until the end!!!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 07, 04:56 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jerome

Nice car Rich ,glad she took it well ,been there with a couple cars I bought ,she took them well ….Good luck and have fun with you friend and Happy Motoring

1972 Nova SS , 350, Auto, AC, Survivor

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old Jan 26th, 07, 09:23 AM

I did just the opposite when buying my car, sort of. I was wanting to restore a Cosworth Vega (had one when I was a kid) and after the wife and I looked at one in Sacramento (what a piece of crap it was) she said, why don't you go ahead and go look at that Camaro

I guess she didn't want that junk-pile sitting in the driveway for the next couple of years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode