fuel line return (HELP) - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 23rd, 10, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

fuel line return (HELP)

I need to put a return line in my stock sender, I was going to drill a hole and jb weld some tubing in sender.

does it matter were i drill the hole?

also how far down should the return go?

thanks
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 10:18 AM

Re: fuel line return (HELP)

yes drill a hole anywhere you have room
I would braze or solder the tube 3/4 to almost all the way down
to keep the gas from making bobbles
ps (I don't like JB on anything) I just don't
some people do tho
Larry
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 10, 06:01 AM
Senior Tech
Maurice

I agree JB weld is not good, especially for this application. I would solder the return as it takes alot less heat than brazing. less chance of damaging your sender that way.
also a good idea to run the tube fairly deep and away from the fuel pickup. you dont to aerate the fuel,especially near the pickup.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 10, 08:13 AM
Senior Tech
Mark

I'm going to have to ask why, is this a 69 with a rochester?

Just buy a new sender with 2 lines on it for an SS, your going to have to pull the tank anyway to get at the sender to drill a hole.

Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 10, 07:20 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Mine is JB-Welded and only extends an inch or so into the the tank with no issues. Sorry I don't have a pic. You pretty much just have to position it so that it doesn't block your sending unit electrical connector or hit any part of the underside of the sending unit. If you rough up the sending unit on both sides and your tube it should not be an issue. I picked my tank up by the new line when it cured. If JB-Weld is completely fuel proof and can be used to repair a cylinder I don't know why it can't be used for a gas tank. I also used it on the poorly tapped NPT ports on my fuel regulator that I couldn't get to seal off.

I searched FI forums for hours looking at the arguments for submerging or not submerging the line. If it is submerged it is supposed to be away from the pick up so as not to create eddies around it. Since it's pretty much impossible to put it in the sending unit where it would be submerged, not point near the pickup, AND still be able to get the thing in the tank I just dumped it.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 04:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I hereby retract my comments on the JB-Weld. Mine let loose yesterday right after filling the tank up. Since I recreated the line from the sending unit to the hard line and am using the hard line for the return, I think it was just flexing too much and released from the tubing. I probably didn't do a good enough job cleaning the coating off of the tubing I used. It is still locked on the sending unit though. If you're going to do it, I think you'd have better luck just making an elbow that extends back a few inches.

I've got another sending unit on the way and a couple different bulkhead fittings. I've read somewhere you should try to keep the return the same size as the sending line so I didn't get the sending unit with the 1/4" vapor line.

At least it was easy to drain the tank. Just hooked a ten foot piece of 3/8" tubing to the return, stuck it in the Durango's tank, and let the car run until it shut off.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Here's the easiest route:
http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=32029

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 06:35 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post

Alas....on a '69 that would require a level of butchery which even I am not capable of making myself do. Plus my sawzall has a restraining order.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 01:13 PM
David Pozzi

I put a return line on our 68 Camaro tank.
I used a dash 6 AN bulkhead fitting with a Stat-O-Seal, put it in the front wall of the tank, on centerline.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70

Last edited by davidpozzi; Jun 14th, 10 at 01:29 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Oh, yes, it would be butchery on a '69.......no year mentioned, so I thought it was an earlier year.........Polysilfide, MIL-S-8133, is the sealer military avaition uses to seal fuel tanks.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 09:21 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpozzi View Post
I put a return line on our 68 Camaro tank.
I used a dash 6 AN bulkhead fitting with a Stat-O-Seal, put it in the front wall of the tank, on centerline.
David

Yup. Pretty much what I was thinking about doing and the fittings are on their way. Seems like I can buy just about anything but time these days. Need a heap more money for that.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 14th, 10, 09:23 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett#2390 View Post
Oh, yes, it would be butchery on a '69.......no year mentioned, so I thought it was an earlier year.........Polysilfide, MIL-S-8133, is the sealer military avaition uses to seal fuel tanks.
Cool, thanks. I think it was mostly my error. The tubing I used was the poly coated type and most likely I didn't clean and scuff it good enough. The vent tube I put in the filler neck is still in there good.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 27th, 10, 03:12 PM
Reade

i had to run a return line to my tank in my 68 camaro for my efi lt1. you dont need to drill anything and the T in the fill neck will need a hole in the floor and gas can leak into the trunk of the car . i used this new sending unit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RSD-FSU6702/ came with seals. i ran a external pump with 6- an line for the supply and the exsisting steel line for my return just got some hose fittings and did it at the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode