Where Do I Find EFI Fuel Line? - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage
Where Do I Find EFI Fuel Line?

I've been researching what it would take to put a RetroTech EFI system on my 69 RS. The fuel line between the tank and the engine compartment is probably original, so I'd replace it. Does anyone make "stock" fuel lines for a first-gen that have AN-6 connectors? Or, how much trouble is it to put AN-6 connectors on an existing hard line?

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 24th, 10, 08:34 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jim

Re: Where Do I Find EFI Fuel Line?

It's no trouble to put AN fittings onto hardline, they make fittings for this. The ones I used were 3/8 compression to -6 male.
I had bought a new fuel line from right stuff detailing, and had them also bend me up a second 3/8" line using the pattern for a return line for a 69 with a q-jet (return line is normally 1/4")
I bent those lines up at the firewall, went to braid there, and ran them up behind the head, past the distributor and into the back of my Holley TBI. With everything together they are almost invisible.

I used teflon lined braid, it's much thinner than rubber lined, not as flexible, and will never ooze fuel fumes.
Here's a pic showing the hardlines coming up the firewall. The red and blue adapters are on, and also the AN 90 fittings that the hoses will crimp into are screwed on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
New website for my vert is coming together. Do ya like the slide show on the home page?
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 05:34 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

I used the stock 3/8 line and looped the return line back thru the regulator just outside the tank. It has worked well for 2 years. However I am adding a second line now since adding a procharger. I also use the teflon core hose and it works very nice. No smell. No leaks.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Mark

Garage

Thanks for the info guys - that really helps. My car currently just has one 3/8 fuel line, but I was thinking about replacing it with a two-line set-up just in case I needed the return line for EFI later.

Jim - where can I find the 3/8 compression to -6 connectors that you used? Is that something I can find at the local AutoZone, or would I need to order them from someone?

69 RS, Hugger orange/black, Deluxe interior, Sony AM/FM/XM/CD, PS & PB. 355, forged pistons, Eagle rods, balanced, Iron Eagles, 9.4:1 CR, .038 quench, XR270HR Cam, Z28 intake, FAST-EZ EFI 2.0, Thorley Tri-Ys, TCI 700R4, 2400 stall, 3.42 posi
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jan 25th, 10, 06:24 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

I used my hard line for the return and put in a -6 braided line for the feed. The Summit Racing stainless braided is really good stuff....1000psi rated and 100% synthetic nitrile lined so it does not release fuel odor like rubber.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jun 13th, 10, 05:03 PM
Senior Tech
Maurice

Hi,

I may be late to the dance on this one, but I only just saw the post. I too had decisions to make in how to address adapting the fuel lines for my ZZ502 MPFI to AN style connections.this is for my 68 Camaro.

I would also say, the prior posts DO address your issue pretty well. and summit racing as well others do offer compression fittings to adapt standard size tubing to AN fittings.

I looked long and hard at these fittings, but I wanted something better. I was planning to use 3/8 O.D. stainless tubing with .028 wall for my application. after alot of looing around I finally came across Swagelok®. these are the finest and in my opinion the best tube to AN adapters available.they are used in many high-tech fields such as the Aerospace and the Chemical Industry.
they are made of 316 stainless extremely high quality and totally reusable. the part number is SS-600-6-6AN for the -6AN to 3/8 tube adapter your looking for. you can find these on the swagelok website,they offer 1/2 inch as well. they are not terribly expensive either.

I also decided to go with 3/8 stainless fuel lines,I bought them from Inline Tube. the fuel lines are beautiful and are of exact O.E. configuration. I bought 2 lines, 1 for supply and 1 for return. to install your adapters on the fuel lines ,just follow the directions on the Swagelok website for proper installation. the fuel lines from Inline Tube are .028, same as thickness as O.E.

Last edited by 68zz502fi; Jun 13th, 10 at 11:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode