tank conversion - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 10, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
ray

tank conversion

can someone supply me with instructions and a parts list to convert a stock fuel tank for a 69 camaro, i,am planning on purchasing a fast ez efi master carb to efi kit. that has a external fuel pump. thank you ray.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 10, 02:17 AM
Senior Tech

re: tank conversion

Ray, you should take your address out of the location. It more of a general question and displays on the right hand edge of the screen.

Anyways, there are a couple different options for what you need to do.
You can get a weld in sump to modify your current tank to work, check summit racing.
Or you can get a whole new tank from numerous sources.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 10, 10:43 AM
Senior Tech

even if you run an external tank you need to baffle your pickup in the tank. There are several vendors that offer a bolt-in baffled tank with intank pump and return line that will fill your needs nicely and protect you from fuel starvation, for under 500 bucks.

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 08:49 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Tanks Inc. has an in tank pump. You will need to cut a hole in your tank.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 10, 11:13 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

All you really need is a piece of 3/8" hard line and some JB-Weld. Use a piece of coat hanger and bend it like your existing sending unit line to where it connects to the hard line on the frame rail. Use that to bend the 3/8" hard line to shape with a couple of inches on the end to stick down in the sending unit plate.

Cut off your existing sending unit line leaving the portion that extends to the back edge of the tank. Drill a hole in the sending unit and JB-Weld in the 3/8" line you bent. Connect that to the hard line on your frame rail and it will now be your return line.

Use a double flare tool and only the first step of a double flare to make a bulge or barb on the end of each line where you are going to connect fuel hose.

Connect to the cut off end of your original sending unit line and run to your pump which should be mounted close to the tank and as low as practical. Run flex line from the pump to the regulator and throttle body. The Summit Racing braided flex is 100% synthetic nitrile lined and rated for 1000psi.

Conversely, I guess you could cut the sending unit line like above and cut the hard line off before it travels up the frame rail and use the hard line as your feed line but you would need the correct high pressure fittings. Then you could mount the regulator on the frame and run the return directly back to the tank while having just the feed going to the engine compartment.

I do not have the starvation issues some have reported while using the aftermarket tanks.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 10, 09:15 PM
Reade

summit racing also has sending units allready with a return line on it aswell. i just got mine.drop the tank swap it out.
run regular fuel line or hose to the pump as low as you can as steiner said. add high pressue line from the output side of the pump. i used the factory line as the return and braided with -6an fittings for output.

im in the middle of doing this all now and it seams to be working sofar ill keep you guys up to date if any probs and open to sugestions.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 10, 05:43 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Or you could just buy this

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/pro...78_gmsend.html
Just 1 More likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 05:14 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Don't listen to Steiner! He's a perfectionist.
Do it like this,,,,sorta. The return line is now the original feed line at the top of the tank because the regulator is now on the engine. Oops, didn't Steiner do it that way?

One owner 69 Camaro,(yep, bought it new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
RS SS Hugger Orange, L88, 4:10's tru-tack posi, ducted hood, Endura, spoilers.
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
All with 1960's stuff. (except tires and converter)
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.
1000cfm AED and HD Harold-Lunati SR, 725 lift with shaft rockers too.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 05:18 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
Don't listen to Steiner! He's a perfectionist.

I think I detect a note of sarcasm there.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 05:38 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I think I detect a note of sarcasm there.
A loving one

)
TH400 (CX) with Coan 8" converter, GV-OD, 8 track still on console and best et 10.495,
128.79mph 1.428 60'
+ MT Super Scavenger headers & 3" full exhaust with X pipe. 3700 lbs. with me in it.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 10, 05:44 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Ficarra View Post
A loving one

I'm spoken for.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 10, 11:28 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiner View Post
I'm spoken for.

Me too. Besides, you're not my type.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 18th, 10, 10:51 PM
David Pozzi

I just installed an EzEfi on a 68 Camaro. Didn't do any mods to the tank and it's working ok so far. I haven't autocrossed the car but in simple driving around I got to 1/8th tank and it didn't stall or anything. I'm not saying a sump isn't a good idea, but I think the throttle body type system is a little more forgiving than some of the others.

I attached a plate to the fuel tank straps and mounted the pump to that, used the stock pickup as feed to the pump and drilled a hole in the front center of the tank and installed a bulkhead fitting for the return, dash 6 AN.
David

Check my web page for First Gen Camaro suspension info:

67 RS 327 original owner. 1965 Lola T-70
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 09:19 AM
Tech Team
John

Dave
Do you have any pictures of the tank setup? I am in the process of installing a powerjection on my bbc 1968 camaro and am just starting this. Thanks John

1968 396 SS Red/Red Deluxe interior.
Been updated to a 460ci
Powerjection 1
700r4
oirginal 12 Bolt.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 19th, 10, 10:48 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Fred

I'd planed to use screws to hold the plate seen in post #8 to the tank straps. Then I lined up the plate. Wow. All I had to do was make a slight cut in the sheet metal at the bottom of the retaining straps so the sheet metal would follow the curve of the tank. Then loosen the straps, tuck the mount under them and tighten. Two bolts at the top are the only fasteners needed. The center flange of the gas tank holds the plate away so that the pump vibration mount studs never touch the tank. Here's look again so you don't have to scroll.

)
128.79mph 1.428 60'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode