FAST XFI help... stopped running. - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

FAST XFI help... stopped running.

I figured I'd pose the question on here since I'm at my wits end searching for the problem. Here's the scenario.

Car was running fine. (69 camaro, SBC, FAST XFI, close tune but not all the way finished). I took the car out on the weekend (2 weekends ago) and it ran fine. Changed the oil and washed the car, then drove it for a little while and parked it like normal. No spirited driving, didn't get in it once. Came back on monday and the car would turn over but wouldn't fire for some reason. I sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body and it would fire but die... something fuel. I unhooked the fuel line at the crossover and it came out like a fire hose... plenty of fuel, plus you can hear the pump running so it's not the pump. I figured it was the 30 amp relay that is on the wiring harness, or possibly the 30 amp fuse in the fuse holder, also on the wiring harness by the computer. Both are good to go, I double checked them with a test light. Checked all the grounds I could find and they were all good grounds, verified with a test light. The lights on the box all flash, though the injector ones look really dim when they are firing. Here's the kicker. With all 4 plugs that plug into the back of the FAST XFI computer plugged in, the car will turn over but not fire, even though all lights are flashing correctly (though the injector ones are dim, like previously stated). If I un-hook the blue plug from the back of the FAST XFI computer, the car will fire and run for a few seconds, then die. If I un-hook it and let the car fire off, then quickly plug it back in, the car will run for a little while, though if you touch the throttle, it instantly dies. I'm stumped here!!!!!!! Sorry for the long winded explanation, I've tried to explain everything as best I could. Any help would be awesome as this is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!

55' Bel Air 4dr... My San Diego project.
67' Camaro (RS/SS Clone)... Building for her.
69' Camaro (Another Clone)... Building for me.
00' WS6 Trans Am... (Twin t66 turbos, etc.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 06:46 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Re: FAST XFI help... stopped running.

have you verified you're getting the correct fuel pressure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

yeah, I pulled the crossover line off of the fuel rails and it came out like a fire hose with the key turned on.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 10, 07:05 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy99 View Post
yeah, I pulled the crossover line off of the fuel rails and it came out like a fire hose with the key turned on.
I understand you have fuel flow, but do you have the correct pressure? Those are two completely different things..................

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

yes, pressure is steady at 45 PSI at the rails.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 07:53 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

next you need to start checking for a cam synch signal if this is sequential. Maybe set it up as bank to bank just as a test to see if it fires.

Jody

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 10, 07:32 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Scott

Garage

Quote:
washed the car
Did something get wet that shouldn't?

68 302 M20 - 85 IROC Z
The older I get the faster I was.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 10, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Bess-68's rule

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchy99 View Post
The lights on the box all flash, though the injector ones look really dim when they are firing. (though the injector ones are dim, like previously stated).
Were they ever bright before?
Might unplug two of them and see if the other two get brighter.
If the plugged ones don't get brighter, then plug in the two unplugged, and unplug the other two and check brightness.
If brightness increases, then a bad injector loading down the driver in the box.
If brightness does not increase for all four, then a bad driver in the box, or carbon build-up on the injector power relay contacts giving high resistance across the contacts and dropping power to the injectors.
Wire brush grounds and check the injector wire from the box to the injector.

Give a man a rescued dog for the health of both their souls. May 2017 ROTM Winner - Thank you!
'
CUBS - 2016 World Series Champions - Thank you, Joe Madden Ö enjoy your next chapter.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

well, nobody was working at the fast tech line today apparently, since I kept getting a recording. The number listed on the website just kept ringing with no answer. I found the problem. It was the TPS sensor of all things. I finally got my computer to hook up to the ECU and noticed a TPS reading of 100% at idle and it was idling high. I unhooked the TPS sensor and it cranked right up and idled between 850 and 900 consistently. If the ECU sees a TPS reading of 80 or higher, it will fire the spark, but not fire the injectors, which is why my spark was good but my injectors wouldn't fire for some reason. I'll figure out the part number for the TPS sensor and go ahead and get another one installed. Other than that though, she is running good again, and I'm going to start logging and tuning. More to follow.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 10, 06:06 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

makes sense. If the TPS is 100% when cranking the ECU goes into clear mode and will not pulse the injectors. This is to help start a flooded car. Glad you got it figured out.

Jody

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 10, 07:31 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Rick

Send a message via Yahoo to Camaro67_rcl

Great to deal with & super Tech help !!!!

http://www.efisupply.com/sensor.htm

Rick
67 RS/SS 355, Autogear M21 (w/Overdrive), 8.5w/3.42

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old Mar 28th, 10, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team
Jim

I love this site. I will be ordering my TPS sensor from those guys tomorrow, and their injector calc spread sheet is awesome!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode