LSx + Manual trans - shifter and clutch throw-out questions - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

LSx + Manual trans - shifter and clutch throw-out questions

I'm contemplating the LSx style engine swap in my '67 that came with a 327/manual trans - I've got a couple questions that hopefully someone can answer:

- What is the best transmission to use model and donor info would be great.
- How do you run the hydraulic release bearing setup (or how to install the clutch master cylinder to the stock pedal assembly) - my only thought is to grab one from the donor and rig it up to work??
- Where does the shifter come up through the floor and can it be made to work with the stock '67 center console?
- What vehicles came with the aluminum block engine setup?
- If I go with the iron block - can the stock truck accessories from a 5.3 or 6.0 be used?
- Who makes a decent set of swap headers that are reasonably priced?

Last edited by bwiencek; Apr 1st, 10 at 06:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 1st, 10, 08:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Re: LSx + Manual trans - shifter and clutch throw-out questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiencek View Post
I'm contemplating the LSx style engine swap in my '67 that came with a 327/manual trans - I've got a couple questions that hopefully someone can answer:

- What is the best transmission to use model and donor info would be great.
- How do you run the hydraulic release bearing setup (or how to install the clutch master cylinder to the stock pedal assembly) - my only thought is to grab one from the donor and rig it up to work??
- Where does the shifter come up through the floor and can it be made to work with the stock '67 center console?
- What vehicles came with the aluminum block engine setup?
- If I go with the iron block - can the stock truck accessories from a 5.3 or 6.0 be used?
- Who makes a decent set of swap headers that are reasonably priced?
All good questions that have never been asked or answered anywhere on the internet before.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 04:02 AM
Senior Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkelcy View Post
all good questions that have never been asked or answered anywhere on the internet before.

67 Camaro LS1+ tvs2300/4L70E 530 RWHP
64 Corvette Coupe 350/ TKO600
66 Mustang (289/C4)

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 06:22 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6matt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkelcy View Post
All good questions that have never been asked or answered anywhere on the internet before.
I'm thinking that was a smart @$$ answer - I've found some answers on the great internet but really looking for something more definitive from folks that have swapped the LS style engine into the 1st gen... Tons of swap info out there, just little on using the other GEN III small blocks into the 1st gen that I can find - maybe Mkelcy knows something more than I do where there is a good writeup for an LQ4 or LQ9 engine with a manual trans into the 1st gen...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 10, 07:21 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiencek View Post
I'm thinking that was a smart @$$ answer - I've found some answers on the great internet but really looking for something more definitive from folks that have swapped the LS style engine into the 1st gen... Tons of swap info out there, just little on using the other GEN III small blocks into the 1st gen that I can find - maybe Mkelcy knows something more than I do where there is a good writeup for an LQ4 or LQ9 engine with a manual trans into the 1st gen...
I did a search on "LQ4" on this site and got 31 threads in response, a search on "LQ9" on this site got 56 threads and "L92" on this site returned 57 threads. One of them was entitled "LSX Swap thread info on how to do swaps and parts needed."

Yes, it was a smarta$$ answer, because the question seems to suggest that your time is too valuable to do something as mundane as searching and trying to learn as much as you can on your own, better to use up the time of folks here (who searched and learned on their own) to type out information readily available to you with just a little effort.

There is a lot of information on these swaps here, on Pro-touring.com, on Lateral-G.net and Ls1tech.com's Conversions and Hybrids forum. If your question is "Are there physical external differences between an LQ9 or LQ4 and an LS1?" for example, while still readily available, that's at least a short, easy answer. "Not dimensionally for the block, the blocks are iron instead of aluminum; yes for the intakes - but that may not matter."

In other words, if you put out some effort, folks here (as I have on many occasions) will be happy to help; put out zero effort and expect to be spoon fed, and you'll get less useful replies, at least from me.

Mike - '68 Camaro - aftermarket or modern pretty much everything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 03:36 PM
Senior Tech
Barrett

Mkelcy, maybe you could have kindly sugested he do a seach, instead of going OFF like an azz.

67 camaro
Screaming 6.0LS, S480 turbo, GF5R 5speed
[email protected] best to date
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 10, 11:11 PM
Senior Tech

Welcome to the forum. Sorry you got a smart *** as your first response.

However, the easiest way to learn is to search this forum and read everything.
An iron block will be fine the same accessories will bolt to them all. I have no idea what set you need to get them in a 1st gen. I think the down low passenger side a/c compressor mount doesn't work without modifying the subframe...

If you want a stick, the transmission to get is a t56 6-speed (or the upgraded m12 version from a gto that I just heard of the other day) The t56 is about the only manual trans gm bolted behind an ls motor (other than the trucks with a granny)

Search for ATS and t56 kit. They used to sell everything needed to get a hydraulic clutch in a kit.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 09:24 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400bird View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you got a smart *** as your first response.

However, the easiest way to learn is to search this forum and read everything.
An iron block will be fine the same accessories will bolt to them all. I have no idea what set you need to get them in a 1st gen. I think the down low passenger side a/c compressor mount doesn't work without modifying the subframe...

If you want a stick, the transmission to get is a t56 6-speed (or the upgraded m12 version from a gto that I just heard of the other day) The t56 is about the only manual trans gm bolted behind an ls motor (other than the trucks with a granny)

Search for ATS and t56 kit. They used to sell everything needed to get a hydraulic clutch in a kit.
I will just mention that the iron block 6.0's are missing some of the holes that the drive kits use to mount. I used the CTS-V kit for my LQ9 and it says not for iron blocks, but it can be used by drilling/tapping one hole and ignoring a second. So yes, they can be used, but it can require some easy mods to the block to get it secure, depending on which drive you decide to go with.

Jody

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 10, 09:47 AM
Senior Tech

Good to know I thought they all had a universal bolt pattern and thanks for censoring.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 10, 08:08 PM
Tech Team
Alex

If you use a GM 12561680 flywheel and 12557583 pilot bearing, you can use any old SBC/BBC transmission and clutch setup that you want. You could hook up a LS1 T56 using the stock first gen style clutch (26 spline disk though) using those parts and the correct McLeod scattershield (8710-10), use a TKO with it's stuff, or just go with a muncie or T10. The reason that works is the flywheel is .400" thicker than normal, and that is just the right amount to bring the flywheel out to the same front/back offset from the bellhousing bolt pattern as a normal chevy. The bellhousing pattern is of course the same, and the pilot bearing I listed is also designed to take up that .400" of space for the input shaft when being used with an older style setup.

Also, some of the early 6.0 truck motors that ran 4L80's have a crank that pushes the flywheel back that same .400", so if you can get one of those engines, everything SBC (transmission wise at least) will just bolt right up no different than it would on a 55 model 265, with a standard LS style flywheel and no special throwout bearing. The problem though is that these engines will likely have iron heads...

'69 Z28: X33 / 02B / non-matching 302 / Dart 200cc pro 1 platinum heads / Crower solid roller / matching M21 / matching BU axle / 4:11 ring and pinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode