Fuel tank vent filtering - strong gas smell - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Fuel tank vent filtering - strong gas smell

I just completed the EZ EFI install in my 69 and I used a Ricks FI tank with the in-tank pump. Awesome tank. The tank is vented with a 3/8 line from the built in location supplied by Ricks and runs out to terminate by the gas cap.

The problem is the vent allows a lot of fuel smell to emit from the tank and really stinks up the garage. I've seen some guys on this forum solve this with installing a charcoal canister and I'd like details on the parts used and how to make this for my car. Where can I get parts that will work, be safe and can be installed nicely?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks
Bob

69 Camaro
Le Mans Blue Coupe, 350 GMPP/HO with FAST EZ EFI, TH350

Last edited by boboftherockies; Jun 18th, 10 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 18th, 10, 06:03 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Re: Fuel tank vent filtering - strong gas smell

Bob, I used a charcoal filter from a K car and installed it in the trunk. You most likely care about the appearance of yours a little more than I do though and could do it cleaner. You can search ebay for "charcoal canister" and maybe find one that'll work. The ones made for some motorcycles are small and easier to hide. I put a cheap plastic fuel filter on the outlet line to act like an air filter, not that it'll ever pull air in or that the charcoal can needs it. Typically, the outlet line would be run back to the air intake to consume the fumes while running but I'm lazy. I can sniff the end of mine and not smell anything.

You pretty much just have to find a charcoal canister that works for you and just get some hose and clamps. I couldn't really find a spot underneath the car where I felt like fuel would not slosh up the line into the can so that's why I put it in the trunk and put the vent in the filler neck.

The Help! aisle may have one you can plug on the end of the line that will do the trick. There is charcoal filter about the size of a pill bottle that is made to go on the brake booster line of older Corvettes to keep fumes out of the booster. I have one on my booster. It is part number 80195.

'69 Camaro
Dart 400-AFR 195-224/224 HR-Powerjection III TB with F.A.S.T. Sportsman XFI
TKO 600-Moser 3.42-Detroit Truetrac
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'69 Camaro Beater-SFT 327-M20-Moser 4.10-sold
'02 Z/28 vert-stock-sold and totaled
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 10, 05:00 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Chris

Post Re: Fuel tank vent filtering - strong gas smell

Bob, are you talking about the 1/4 pipe vent fitting on the forward side of the tank ( I have the 68 version in mine)? Can you post a picture of what you are talking about? What fuel lines are you running? Are they braided rubber or braided teflon? The braided rubber ones seep alot of fuel fumes, that why alot of people switch to the teflon lined ones.

Chris
1968 Camaro SS coupe, Lemans Blue/medium blue interior
LS3/T56 Ridetech Suspension

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 10, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Chris;
I don't have pictures, but yes it's the vent fitting on the upper side of the tank, forward on the drivers side. That has a 3/8 rubber fuel rated line running out to where the filler is (behind the license plate on a 69).

The fuel lines are steel braided nitrile lines from Summit.... so it shouldn't be those that smell (at least I don't think so)

Bob

69 Camaro
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 10, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Thanks Steiner...

I've got a canister I found that I think I can mount under the car and run lines to it and then out to the filler area. We'll see how it goes once I get it on the car...

Bob

69 Camaro
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 10, 10:46 AM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Cool. If it gives you problems, here is what that Help! 80195 booster filter looks like and it has 3/8 nipples. I bet it'll go right on the end of the line at your filler neck. It's about the size of that fuel filter you see hanging down by my filler neck.

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 19th, 10, 06:07 PM
Senior Tech

Why?
Just cap it and run a vented fuel cap.

Is it the line that is supposed to run up toward the cap and could be connected back into the filler line? When you are fueling up it allows air in the tank (displaced by fuel) to flow back toward the nozzle for quicker fill up.
Not sure if a 69 has one, but just an idea.

I would cap it.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 07:30 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Bob, on my ricks tank I have mine running over top of the differential with a inline plastic fuel filter attached to the end of the hose.

Did you have any problems with your ricks tank leaking from the supply side of the manifold flare?

Bill
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Bill;

Not sure I'd call it a problem, but it leaked when I first pressurized the system with the pump on. I was able to tighten it up and get the leak stopped though. I expected a leak somewhere and that's where it happened.

Bob

69 Camaro
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 03:00 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Bill

Ya mine leaked to when I pressurized the system and I tried to tighten more and seamed like it stopped, but then I grounded the fast ez efi relay wire and let the pump run continuously and it still leaked only while the pump was running, called them and Hector said they were having problems with there new flaring tool, there sending me a new manifold

hopefully yours is not dripping while its running and causing your smell after you park it, mine dripped but not alot but enough to miss it if I was not looking for it untill it evaporated

Bill
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

I'll keep checking it to make sure it's not a problem after it runs a while.

Thanks for the heads up Bill
Bob

69 Camaro
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old Jun 20th, 10, 09:02 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Bob
I have the same exact problem as you. I would love to know how the canister you bought worked out for you and where you mounted it. I've had old cars before but my garage has never smelled this strong before, so I hope this works out.

1969 Camaro Z-28 with a 2001 LS1, FAST 92mm Intake & TB, Comp Cam, headers, Cirle D Converter and 12 bolt moser 3:55 gear. (Didn't want to but had to sell)

1969 Camaro Straight 6, (Starting all over again)
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Tech Team

After eliminating all the fuel smell coming from the tank vent (the 80195 filter Steiner suggested got that accomplished), I still had the strong fuel smell. It wasn't from driving the car and it stunk up the garage anytime the door was closed. I finally determined it was coming from the braided steel fuel lines that Summit sells as nitrile lined - as Chris suggested previously. Turns out being OK for fuel doesn't mean they aren't vapor permeable. PTFE (Teflon) lines need to be used to eliminate fuel vapor emitting from the lines. So I've replaced all the Summit lines with Teflon and .... no more smell!

BTW: The Summit guys were awesome... after calling them about the problem, they gave me full credit for their braided lines, with shipping costs credited too.

Here's a thread on the subject.... live and learn!
http://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62575

Bob

69 Camaro
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 6th, 10, 03:35 PM
Senior Tech
Steiner

Sweet. Did you have to get new fittings as well?

'69 Camaro
500hp/538lbft

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old Jul 7th, 10, 06:55 PM
Senior Tech
Bill

Bob
Glad to hear it worked out for you. Sounds like I will be doing the same, do you have the part numbers you used from Summit? I've got a spectra tank with no venting line just a venting cap so I hope the new fuel lines will do the trick.
Bill

1969 Camaro Z-28 with a 2001 LS1, FAST 92mm Intake & TB, Comp Cam, headers, Cirle D Converter and 12 bolt moser 3:55 gear. (Didn't want to but had to sell)

1969 Camaro Straight 6, (Starting all over again)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
fuel smell, fuel tank vent

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode