FAST EFI Install Complete - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Tech Team

Post FAST EFI Install Complete

Since I received so much help from the great members of this forum, I thought I'd do a summary post after completing the installation of the FAST EFI system on my 69. Thanks to everyone that responded to my questions!

My car is a 69 coupe with a GMPP 350/HO and a TH350. It had an Edelbrock performer 600 carb on it before the EFI install. I live in the Denver area and getting a carb tuned and keeping it operating efficiently has been a hassle and was the inspiration for the EFI conversion.

The car had the original fuel tank with all original lines, but no return. I replaced the tank with a Ricks Hot Rod Shop FI stainless tank with the in tank pump. It's a very nice piece and makes the issues around mounting an external pump and fuel starvation go away. I used a VDO sender that I modified for the tank depth (Camaro tanks are really shallow) and it works great. I ran steel braided, nitrile lines hoses from the tank to the front and from the throttle body to the regulator and back to the tank. No leaks except for one at the supply fitting at the tank. Another member (beechfront) has the same tank and mentioned that he had the same issue and Rick's sent him a new tank manifold due to problems with the supply flare. I seem to have resolved my small leak, but I keep checking it after driving the car.

I also installed a new aluminum radiator, electric fan, Mallory Hyfire 6 ignition box to go with my existing Unilite dizzy. I built a box to contain and hide all the relays and fuses for the pump and fan. It's located where the water bottle was for the washers (I don't drive the car in the rain). I did a ton of new wiring and re-wiring to get everything powered and correct and it pays off to take extra time to really get the wiring and dressing the wiring right. Again, Steiner on this forum helped with locating a new switched 12 V source on the fuse box to turn on all the stuff.

The ECM is located on my passenger inner fender well. I chose that spot for good harness routing to all the connections on the throttle body, O2 sensor and power source. FAST say's to keep it away from ignition boxes and noise sources...my Hyfire box is on the firewall above the heater box. It's also a good spot to enable connection to the handheld unit so it can be accessed inside the car on the passenger side. Lot's of guys will want to hide the ECM more than I did but I'm happy with the location.

With everything wired up and the plumbing complete, I set the fuel pressure to 43 psi at the regulator and went through the base tune setup on the hand held. With that done the engine started on a few cranks after the injectors got the pre-start fuel shots completed. As the engine warmed up I re-set the timing (things moved during install). I left the AF ratios set to the defaults initially... I will be adjusting those as I continue to drive the car and see where it wants to be a idle, cruise and WOT.

The engine idles better than it ever did with a carb, throttle response is good and getting better as the system learns. Cruise and WOT are great and will also get better as I make adjustments to the AFRs. I put a hotter thermostat in the car to help it get to optimal temp quicker (195 deg) and the ECM is turning on the fan at 200 deg. It seem to be working well and the engine hasn't gotten above 208 deg on really hot days here lately (95-ish). The live data mode on the hand held lets you see all the things the sensors are monitoring, which give you a great view into what you may have been guessing at without the electronics on a carb engine.

All in all, I really like the system and would do it again. I did a lot of extra things around the system and took a lot of time, so it wasn't too much work all at once (helped out by parts delays that forced waiting time).

One negative that I am working to overcome is fuel smell. EFI needs an open vented tank, not like the the gas cap vent on the stock system. Venting in and out is needed due to the fuel pressures 5 to 10 times that of stock. The open vent puts fuel smell into the garage after running and it continues for a long time afterward. I've added a charcoal filter (tanks again to Steiner) and that seems to help, but there is also a fuel smell at the front of the car. It seems similar to what you get with Eddy carbs. I'm going to talk with FAST to see what they say, but I'm not sure what can be done about it.

This was a long winded post but I know there's been a lot of interest in the FAST EFI system. In summary it's expensive but it goes in simply, it works and it maintains a semblance of the stock look with an existing manifold. Their tech support is good and the system is well made, simple to use and understand. It's not without faults and it's not an MPI system that would be even more oriented for configure-ability and performance.

Thanks
Bob

69 Camaro
Le Mans Blue Coupe, 350 GMPP/HO with FAST EZ EFI, TH350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old Jun 28th, 10, 05:48 PM
kt
Senior Tech
kelly

Re: FAST EFI Install Complete

I have on a warm 468 and have installed the fast system and love it. it has about 8 drives on it and its getting better everytime i drive it. Enjoy!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode