Efi ???? - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 10, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

Efi ????

I am about to take the plunge to the otherside! I have tried a couple different carbs to make this thing streetable. And I have accomplished it to a certain degree but not to a level I expect of myself. It is just not good enough.
I'm thinking XFI is for me. I know it will have it's trouble shoooting issues as well. Is it realistic I can get this system installed in two weeks?? I have a "show and tour " first part of September. So the deadline for some sort of reliability and streetability is very near.
I have researched this a little while and have come to the conclusion XFI is for me.
Can anyone recommend a dealer who has knowledge and customer service to help with this process? AND be competitive with pricing??

I am also thinking Rick's efi tank, 1/2 fuel line from Inline.
Any suggestions...do's and don'ts would be appreciated.

67 RS convertible
Mark Jones 496...690hp
Liberty modified TKO600
Holley HP EFI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 10, 05:40 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Re: Efi ????

Congrats on the EFI choice. It would be possible to accomplish all of this in two weeks, but that all depends on what you find acceptable from an appearance standpoint. Placing the computer and hiding all the wiring can take some time. Not to mention running all of the plumbing for the fuel system. I would suggest that wait until you have more time, especially if you have never done it before. You will need to mount the pump close to the tank, or in it. There are two fuel filters, one before the pump and one after. For your HP I would run #10 line to the pump, and then your #8 (1/2 inch) to the motor. The return line is min #6 (3/8 inch). The pump that comes with the XFI is an Aeromotive A1000. The pump and filters are #10 fittings. you will need to buy fuel line, return line, and fittings to make it all work. I am not sure about the Rick's tank. You might want to find out what kind of HP they rate it to. You will also need to weld in a bung for the O2 sensor. Depending on what hood and intake you have, the intake height might be a problem. The rest of the install is a breeze. Within 20 minutes of starting mine it ran better that the expensive carb that I spent three years trying to tune! The guys at FAST are very helpful if you have any questions!! You will love the XFI! I can't believe that I waited so long to make the switch. After messing with this POS carb for so long and getting nowhere, the choices were: 1)waste another $1200 on a new carb that might be better. or 2)Take the money that I would have put into a carb and buy fuel injection.

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 10, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Dan

I caught Vince's thread on Holley efi only hours before I was going to order XFI.
I have flipped 180 have decided on the Holley. The biggest factor for me was "self learning".
It might work out a few buck cheaper as well. The only downside I see is that it has no track record. I hope they got the bugs out!(I have enough already)

Sideways, I see how the system sells itself but I wonder how many systems you have sold for Holley by posting this thread around?

67 RS convertible
Mark Jones 496...690hp
Liberty modified TKO600
Holley HP EFI

Last edited by trackman; Aug 7th, 10 at 12:35 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Aug 7th, 10, 12:22 PM
Senior Tech
Vince

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackman View Post
I caught Vince's thread on Holley efi only hours before I was going to order XFI.
I have flipped 180 have decided on the Holley. The biggest factor for me was "self learning".
It might work out a few buck cheaper as well. The only downside I see is that it has no track record. I hope they got the bugs out!(I have enough already)

Sideways, I see how the system sells itself buy I wonder how many systems you have sold for Holley by posting this thread around?
You'll be very happy! This was probably the most painless thing I've ever done in terms of mods to my car, yet so far, its had the biggest impact.

VINCE
69 CHEVELLE SS
502 EFI/[224/228 HR]/T56/3.90
*1.8/11.59/124.34*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode