Bad fuel pump or regulator - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 10, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Bad fuel pump or regulator

I have a 255 LPH in Tank Walbro fuel pump feeding a retrotek EFI at 45 psi. Recently my system runs fine then all the sudden the fuel pressure drops to 25 psi and it leans out. The first time it happened I thought I was out of gas. The second time I had 3/4 tanks. Does this sound like a bad fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator?

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.
Rushforth rated X with Toyo tires. MSD 6 ignition.
Wilwood 6 piston Dynalite disc brakes with Hydratech booster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 10, 06:32 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Re: Bad fuel pump or regulator

Check your voltage when this happens. Do you have electric fans or some other large draw electronics that could reduce your voltage when they turn on?

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 10, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

Retrotek thinks it may be vapor lock. I think I have a vented cap though.

Procharged HO 454, 700R4, 12 bolt with Yukon axles, 3:73 gears posi, Pypes 2.5" X pipe with Borla XS mufflers. Retrotek Speed EFI, Ridetech suspension.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 10, 04:38 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

That is very strange. Vapor lock would be in the line. Usually with the pump in the tank vapor lock is never a problem. Do you have the line routed near to the exhaust? Is your exhaust near your fuel tank? On the Woodward cruse two years ago I got my car so hot that you could hear the fuel boiling in the tank. It caused major vapor lock, as well as being extremely dangerous. Since then I insulated my exhaust next to my tank.

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 10, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Gold Lifetime Member
Bob

67 econobox, I have heard what sounds like fuel boiling in my tank also. The fuel that is returned to the tank is very hot. In addition I have my exhaust pipes turned down before the axle. It definitely can add some hot temps to the tank area. I may point them outward a little more, but don't like them pointed at the rear tires. Ugly things can happen. I ordered a barry grant fuel line cooler. I was planning on installing it on the return line to the tank. I think the fuel is so hot it is cavitating in the pump in the tank. Hopefully these two things will suffice.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 5th, 10, 06:19 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHigh69 View Post
67 econobox, I have heard what sounds like fuel boiling in my tank also. The fuel that is returned to the tank is very hot. In addition I have my exhaust pipes turned down before the axle. It definitely can add some hot temps to the tank area. I may point them outward a little more, but don't like them pointed at the rear tires. Ugly things can happen. I ordered a barry grant fuel line cooler. I was planning on installing it on the return line to the tank. I think the fuel is so hot it is cavitating in the pump in the tank. Hopefully these two things will suffice.
been there, done that.................

Jody
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	power_tour_2005_053.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	17173   Click image for larger version

Name:	power_tour_2005_054.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	17174   Click image for larger version

Name:	power_tour_2005_055.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	17175  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 08:55 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

That's not a Camaro option that I'm familiar with. I would be torn between keeping my fuel cool...or keeping my beer cool!!Let me think...If I run out of ice, not only am I unable to drive my car, but my beer is warm as well...double fail...

Where you place the cooler might be important. I know that there was so much heat coming out from under my car that a cooler under the car might actually be putting more heat into the fuel. Let me know if that works for you, I haven't had a chance to really try out my "fixes" yet.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 6th, 10, 01:52 PM
Gold Lifetime Member
Jody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econobox View Post
That's not a Camaro option that I'm familiar with. I would be torn between keeping my fuel cool...or keeping my beer cool!!Let me think...If I run out of ice, not only am I unable to drive my car, but my beer is warm as well...double fail...

Where you place the cooler might be important. I know that there was so much heat coming out from under my car that a cooler under the car might actually be putting more heat into the fuel. Let me know if that works for you, I haven't had a chance to really try out my "fixes" yet.
that was a "we're stuck on the side of the road, let's just get through Power Tour" temporary fix, not a permanent one..................

Jody

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 09:45 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

That is very innovative. Not to worry, I have done a lot of crazy things to get home! It's only a bad idea if it doesn't work, or ends badly...this would make a good thread in one of the other areas! 'What crazy things have you done to get home' with a side of 'how did it end badly!'

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode