The looks - Team Camaro Tech
EFI in your modern Classic EFI conversions in early Camaros

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Elias

The looks

Hi guys!

I was reading an article about how the fuel was getting more chemical and chemical, and carbs struggle to use it etc etc and their solution was fuel injection.
But my questions are : - how bad will it affect the stock look?
- how much gas will you actually save?

Thanks!

There is no replacement for displacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 09:33 AM
Gold Lifetime Member
Joe

Re: The looks

There are a few systems available that are throttle body injected. You could hide them under the air cleaner and give the fuel line a production routing with a little bit of work. I am sure someones done this. You might have better luck posting in the performance area.

67 RS Convertible - 496 L88 appearing Motion tribute, 6 speed, DSE 4-Link, 9 inch, Forgeline wheels. Current status: suspension upgrades and paint ongoing.
72 C10 longbed - 565 Twin Turbo, 4L85E, Forgeline wheels. Current status: engine build and inter-cooled upper intake construction. still needs paint.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 9th, 10, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Elias

All right, i'll post the same topic in the performance section.
Thanks!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 10, 04:58 PM
Team Member
Bill

I have a 67 RS Convertible and decided to move away from a carburetor when I did my restification. I wanted to go for the look of a carburetor, but with a new technology sequential port injection system. I have installed the Edelbrock Proflo2 system.

This system uses a Air Valve Body that looks and operates like a 4 bbl carb with primaries and secondaries. A standard round air cleaner fits this unit. It is programable on the fly with a hand held device that help with a decent range of running parameters. For pin-point accuracy, you can program the fuel map with a laptop.

I show the car regularly and you wouldn't believe how many people ask me what kind of carburetor I have. As I point out the low rise fuel rails and 8 port injectors, I always thank them and let them know that that was the comment I was looking for. Of course, any informed car buff can tell.

I would recommend this set-up. The car runs great and if I keep my foot out of it (not doing well here), provides much better mileage than my carbureted 67 coupe. Send me a message if you need more info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02494.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	17504  

67 RS Convertible Camaro Restification completed August 2009. All original with updated drivetrain -Marina Blue exterior 327 with Proflo2 EFI Tremec 5 speed. Paint and Body by Lanzinis Bodyworks of Huntington Beach. Great fun!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Elias

Thanks for the great post!
It really does look stock. How many more mpg did ya get?
And what was the total cost of the conversion?

Thanks!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 10, 07:18 PM
Senior Tech
Scott

Garage

There is a company offering a TBI unit that looks just like a carb. Uses same linkage and looks just like a holley. Comes with everything you need and runs about 1800 new. Company used to be retrotek, but I think its now called Professional Products. I thinks its at professional-products.com. Very simple setup. If you pick up a copy of Oct Popular Hot Rodding there is a section on fuel injection that lists pretty much everything thats available.
Scott

69 RS LS3/T56
68 Firebird vert LS1/4L60E
67 RS LS2/T56
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 30th, 10, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Senior Tech
Elias

Thanks guys! You're being a great help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Team Camaro Tech forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address.
NOTE we receive a lot of registrations with bad email addresses. IF you do not receive your confirmation email you will not be able to post. contact support and we will try and help.
Be sure you enter a valid email address and check your spam folder as well.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode